Replaced my rear sight w/a red dot

I thought I'd post a small project I did this afternoon. Removed the rear factory iron sight and replaced it with an R&R mount, and C-More red dot.

I wanted to get rid of the top rail of the quad, due to what I think where some harmonic problems (FTE with it on, no problems with it off).

Remove the iron sight with a dermal, punch & hammer (typical way) and drove in the dovetail adapter for the mount. The bottom of the R&R mount has a recess milled into it so the dovetail adapter can key into it,,,,that was when I run into a problem. With the adapter in the factory dovetail, it wouldn't fit all the way into mounts keyway without the mount hitting the area where the dust cover slot is. After milling this area down some (actually, a lot, it is paper thin at the very top of the slot but it is still plenty strong to hold the dust cover), it was able to fit into the keyway. The ad said it was made for "FastFire & Other Micro Red Dot Sights" but If you plan on using this mount for a C-More, be ready for some extra work. Also, the holes for the sight adjustments don't line up(drilled new ones) and the mounting holes use a smaller mount bolt then the C-More(drilled and tapped new ones). But, after a bit of work, in all came together,,,,,,,I like how it all turned out, nice and tight, low profile, and protects my sight.

My die should be here tomorrow from Greg at CSS,,,then I'll be cutting the barrel a few inches, re-threading and pinning a break on.

4985922858_f522a9f8e7.jpg

4985322535_22ef8b9517.jpg

4985332655_766b483a97.jpg

4985917630_ed16f4ba72.jpg

4985926406_ddd9b2ca20.jpg

Edited by PYRO
  • Like 2

The mid-barrel comp is made by Firebird Precision, bought from CSS,,,,,,,works very good at reducing recoil with high power loads. I use this gun for shooting slugs most of the time and do sometimes use a Harris bipod,,,,,,,I use this one as a stand when working on the gun.

I ordered it from Brownells' web site (it is a product of R&R Targets, a forum sponsor), the Brownells part number is 100-004-918. If you do a search on their site with that part number it will come up. It was $78.99 plus shipping, which was about 5 bucks to get it way out here. Very fast shipping too,,,only took 4 days, which is very fast for us islanders.

PYRO, your build is damn good lookin. Nice job. :up:

How well do you like that rock'n'lock "mag guide"?

Thank you, this is my first build and it is great fun.

The Rock & Lock seems to work as it is intended, I have never been in a situation where I had to change mags quickly, like I said, I'm just learning, but I am sure it would help. I think it would also be better suited for changing mags in a dark HD situation,,,I have tried it with the lights out and it is easier for me. And I can use any mag or drum with it, thought about a Mag Well, but I already have a bunch of 12 & 20 round drums.

Thanks all, most everything done was with indirect advice found on this forum.

Looks great.

Does the item you listed above from Brownells come with the dovetail mount/adapter AND the mount/shield for the fastfire...or just the mount/shield for the fastfire as the photo on Brownells shows?

Thanks

Eric

It comes with the two pieces, the dovetail adapter piece and the U shaped mount that your sight would sit in. They just don't show the dovetail adapter in the photo.

Two allen head bolts,,,,,,the bolts that come with the C-More are a larger dia then the tapped holes in the mount. Instead of using smaller bolts, I choose to drill and tap the holes out to the size of the C-More bolts,,,,,using smaller bolts would make it slightly less strong.