German Steel 30 rounders

Ok, so I ordered some of these from AIM a little while ago. They were reasonably priced... $15.95 each, and with shipping it came to just under $40.00... so figure Twenty bucks a mag.

They are German Steel 30 rounders.

They were brand new, and in the brown anti-rust wrap...

I had to do a little tweaking with them to fit, as the ad states they "WILL NOT FIT A SAIGA .223!"

YEAH?!!?!?

BULL!!!

They fit... ok, so they need a little tweaking... And require the use of a bullet guide...

But... they feed nicely and personally, I think they look badass...

s223tweak1b.jpg

I had to remove metal at the sides by the front of the mag, and also at the rear above the locking tab, and of course, the locking tab needed a little adjustment too... All in all, about 5 minutes with a grinder and a dremel.

223magsclose1b.jpg

223magsclose2b.jpg

223magsclose3b.jpg

223magsclose4b.jpg

If I do the second one... it will take about 30 seconds, as I know where to grind, and how much to remove... Check out the pics... I dont have little arrows, but you SHOULD be able to see where metal was removed between the two mags, as one is changed, the other is not.

Also, got a pic or two of the rifle with the mag in place. as well as my latest two additions to the family. :wub:

:smoke:

pupsngunsb.jpg

Cool Indy thanks for the good pics! Those look a lot like the steel Bulgie mags I've been tinkering with. Do they lock in solid with no side to side play? Is 30 the biggest capacity for those type? Are they the Wieger mags that the Shiek had in his tutorial?

They lock in front to back tight, but yeah, they DO wiggle side to side.

I am not sure what they are... they are just called AK .223 mags... and yes, 30 was the biggest they sold, I dunno if they come larger cap than that... sorry I am not a wealth of info on these yet. LOL

I have not done any field testing yet... as I only just wedged the bullet guide in the rifle and cycled a bunch of rounds... SO far, so good...

I guess my biggest thrill was getting them to fit!! LOL

I couldnt stand the looks of that teeny little .223 saiga mag in my rifle!

I here ya bro. Drill and tap that mutha and send some lead downrange then give us a report. Please. Hint, if you notch the front of your factory mag a little it will still fit with the feed ramp. It's fugly but nice for shooting from a bench rest.

SO Weigers they are then... fair enough...

NO BULLET GUIDE in my .223...

I did the "screw in the front of the mag" trick

I can "hand cycle" a full mag out onto the floor as fast as I can cycle the action... I just REALLY hate doing that as I am using live rounds... and I just imagine the oopsie of one going off and making a nice hole in the floor. ROFL!!!

BUT...

Tomorrow, will be RANGE TEST time... so I will update here after doing so.

I know someone else did the screw in the front trick and had ZERO problems with it.. Although I think their specific tweak was for the X39 rifle, not the 223... but the principle is the same.

No need to reinvent the wheel... no, maybe not... but theres nothing like giving it a good hard SPIN when ya can! :D

So... Took 'er to the range today... popped in the full magazine... BUMPFIRED a full 30 rounder... NO hiccups, no jams, no misfeeds, no FTE, no stovepiping... NOTHING... SMOOTH, perfect!!!

Ya gotta love it!

I did the "screw in the front of the mag" trick

I've heard about it before, but I can't visualize it. All I have is the factory mags for my S223.

Are ya running a self tapper in there?

Anyone got a link to pics by chance?

Me & a buddy of mine will be trying to feedramp a couple bulgie (synthetic) mags for our 762's that have a piece of steel inserted for a feed ramp. So far nobody I've heard of has been sucessful.

Dinzag I don't think you have to do anything to the Bulgie 7.62 mags except maybe file a little off the bottom of the rear lug so it will lock in. My Saiga 7.62 has a feedramp installed and the top of the mag catch trimmed a little so it will take all AK mags with no other modification. On my .223 I had to slightly trim the front of the feed lips on the Bulgie .223 AK mags and they work perfectly. As long as you have a feed ramp in the rifle you shouldn't need to add one to the mags.

Dinzag I don't think you have to do anything to the Bulgie 7.62 mags except maybe file a little off the bottom of the rear lug so it will lock in. My Saiga 7.62 has a feedramp installed and the top of the mag catch trimmed a little so it will take all AK mags with no other modification. On my .223 I had to slightly trim the front of the feed lips on the Bulgie .223 AK mags and they work perfectly. As long as you have a feed ramp in the rifle you shouldn't need to add one to the mags.

Yeah man - I have a feedramp & shortened catch in my 762, but not the 223 yet - still factory config.

The 762 bulgies are for a "For Profit" no bullet guide mag scam we'll be doing...I haven't seen any synthetic mags out there for guns without bullet guides (other than the factory Saiga 30's) I know Wolvie tried to do it with JB Weld. The welded steel 30's go for a good mark-up, we figured the synthetics would fetch a little more.

I was trying to picture Indy's "screw in the mag trick" - maybe it could apply to the synthetic mag project. Just curious... :smoke:

Indy you da man! I hope I can do the same thing with my steel Bulgies. If I could weld it would already be done. The Wieger bodies look just like the bulgies to me. Hopefully the feed lips are the same too. You can get the steel Bulgies in 50 rd! :eek:

OK....

All I did was gring a little away above the rear latching tab, you can see where the original has a step, and the converted is smoothly curved. I had to take a little off the tab itself, too.

I also had to remove a little in front... you can see where I ground some away... I think I may have taken a LITTLE too much off there... that will be a trial and error for the next one, I think if I leave a little more there it will lock in tighter side to side... maybe not... I worked on that part first, before I realized that step in the back was hanging up...

The screw is just a machine screw. I drilled the hole a little larger than was already in the mag, and I had to gring the follower just a teeny bit too... as the screw dimpled the INSIDE of the mag binding the follower a little bit.. The follower will not rise up as far in the modded mag as far as it does in the original, I just had to remove just a teeny bit more off the follower to get it to clear where the screw dimples the mag body in the front there... no biggy...I did it after taking the pics, its right where it needs to be now...

These are the same pics, pretty much as the last ones, hopefully a little better clarity and angles...

and the screw is in there...

magpic1.jpg

magpic2.jpg

magpic3b.jpg

magpic4.jpg

magpic5b.jpg

OH.....

And now all I need to do is hit it with the Birchwood Casey touch up black pen... and it will be all set!!!

That or some cold blue agent... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wiegers ar great! However, you do not have to mod the nags if you take the excess lug bottoms down on the rifle. I wanted mags that worked in my SAR 3s without being sloppy. The lugs have been oversized to acommodate the Saiga sporter mags. The Wiegers will send the bullet nose into a spot just underneath the chamber opening, so I had to grind a bit of a feed ramp just underneath the chamber opening. Pics are on this forum somewhere.

I had to grind a bit of a feed ramp just underneath the chamber opening.

Indeed so! I have seen it.. and thats nicely done.

Personally, I prefer to have as FEW mods to the rifle as possible... ( yeah, I know I converted it... thats quite a few mods. LOL) I guess I just want to keep the chamber as original as possible... I get kinda itchy thinking about grinding here or there on the chamber lip... I have visions of gasses spewing back into my face...

I will stick with the screw in the front of the mag trick for now... as I only have TWO Weiger mags... and only ONE S223... its not a big deal... not like I have a dozen flavors of mags and all need to work in the one rifle...

If that were the case, then yes, I agreee that more serious mods would be in order... feedramp, chamber tooling, etc..etc...

I had to grind a bit of a feed ramp just underneath the chamber opening.

I have visions of gasses spewing back into my face...

Understandable concen, however, the AK barrel has a split surface at the chamber. Half is higher than the other half. Your grind only need to go into the raised half. In other words, you never need go into the chamber area. It remains unchanged. SO gas seal fears are unfounded. At least I have never experienced any. That Saiga is my champion rifle/pistol match baby. The modded mags are sloppy as hell in my other .223 AKs. If you have no other .223 AKs, ythen it's not much of an issue. . .UNTIL you decide to buy another. :cryss: