Need help with buying custom 12

Guys,

I've been eyballing this site as to make my decision for buying a saiga-12. From what I can tell alot of you guys are getting into cutting and welding on your own. Myself I would like something similar to the 12 shown on the homepage cover of the 12 with the collapsable stock and looks to be about a 12' barrel. Thing is guys I do not have the time, knowledge, or patience to do alot of the mods some of you guys have done. I'm the type when I buy something I want to play with it right away not cut hack and mod it, (unless it's a snowmobile) And I would like to avoid buying private party over the internet from individual to individual, simply because I personally know people who have been burned buying Bows over the internet. I found FBMGINC.com sells ready modified saiga 12's over the net. Does anyone else sell modified Saiga 12's online?

Most of the converted S-12s you will see online are going to be from private individuals.

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but FBMGINC.com has Tromix do the conversions that they sell. You can take a quick look through the S-12 section here and see pictures of tonys work. His conversions are absolutely top of the line.

another route to go is to buy a factory S-12 and send it to tromix yourself.

Alot of us here are into cutting/hacking/modding...but if thats not what you are into, check out www.tromix.com. EVERYONE here that has one, or has seen one, loves them and can sign off in the quality of work tromix does.

whatever path you choose to follow, you will not be dissappointed with the S-12. I got my first one a couple months ago, chopped it up, and have not even touched my remy 1100, 870, or 1187 since.

Edited by hoop762
What's with the $200 transfer tax? Does that mean I could expect to pay for example $375 for the gun, another $350 for mods and then another $200 on top of that for a total of $925???

the $200 tax your talking about ( I think) is for a Short Barreled Shotgun, its a one time tax paid on NFA(somebody correct me if i'm wrong on that) weapons

Have no fear in dealing with Pyle & the FMBG guys & Tony Rumore.... Thier reputations on this board speaks volumes about them as men.

I have seen examples of where both men have offered to help other folks, with no obvious gain to them....

And no, I'm not trying to get a discount when I buy from Pyle & have Tony do the convo lol...

What's with the $200 transfer tax? Does that mean I could expect to pay for example $375 for the gun, another $350 for mods and then another $200 on top of that for a total of $925???

the $200 tax your talking about ( I think) is for a Short Barreled Shotgun, its a one time tax paid on NFA(somebody correct me if i'm wrong on that) weapons

you're right

the 200 dollar tax is for NFA weapons. However, with the basic tromix conversion, i believe the overall length of the barrel is over 18", so it is not considered a short barrel shotgun, and does not require the $200 tax, sign-off from CLEO and all that good stuff

The $200 is the tax on SBS's, and the conversion for them is more than $350. IT is a huge amount of work to get them to run right with bbl lengths less than the norm. But man are they cool. I can't get my partner to leave one of the 8' shotguns alone. He is a big guy and I think he sees it as his new side arm. (On that same note, the 8" gun with stock extended and breeching standoff is the same overall length as an MP-5, the 12" version is the same as an MP-5SD).

Ok I figured out the $200 and that goes to the govt for the transfer of the weapon. My buddies are all local police officers and we all looked at it and checked out the law for hunting with these also. According to state law so long as we don't carry any thing bigger than a 5rd mag for hunting, the 10rd mag we can buy in South Dakota no problem. One of us has an FFL license (not to mention in good with the local gun shops.) One is one of the heads of CID for my area and uses an MP5 for his breach and entry weapon. He himself has an AK that he absolutly hates and thinks it is a piece of junk. Although the other 4 of us think otherwise of the Saiga-12 from what we have read. We think it would be an awesome breach and entry gun as a replacement to the current shotguns they use. We also were thinking it would be kinda neat to pheasant hunt with also but we are concerned if the short barrel can accomidate a full choke to shoot lead through and hold a decent shot pattern out to say 5yds to knock down those tough old birds. I currently use a Rem 870 Super Express Turkey special with 23inch barrel shooting full and modified chokes (depending on how windy) with 5 shot. The Saiga 12 were considering is this the one in the photo. We would like to know if it could serve as a personal hunting weapon also or is she just a breach and entry and trap shoot queen.

post-2989-1143319030_thumb.jpg

Edited by fosgate

saiga12folded.bmpsaiga12.bmp

Ok I figured out the $200 and that goes to the govt for the transfer of the weapon. My buddies are all local police officers and we all looked at it and checked out the law for hunting with these also. According to state law so long as we don't carry any thing bigger than a 5rd mag for hunting, the 10rd mag we can buy in South Dakota no problem. One of us has an FFL license (not to mention in good with the local gun shops.) One is one of the heads of CID for my area and uses an MP5 for his breach and entry weapon. He himself has an AK that he absolutly hates and thinks it is a piece of junk. Although the other 4 of us think otherwise of the Saiga-12 from what we have read. We think it would be an awesome breach and entry gun as a replacement to the current shotguns they use. We also were thinking it would be kinda neat to pheasant hunt with also but we are concerned if the short barrel can accomidate a full choke to shoot lead through and hold a decent shot pattern out to say 5yds to knock down those tough old birds. I currently use a Rem 870 Super Express Turkey special with 23inch barrel shooting full and modified chokes (depending on how windy) with 5 shot. The Saiga 12 were considering is this the one in the photo. We would like to know if it could serve as a personal hunting weapon also or is she just a breach and entry and trap shoot queen.

Fosgate, I have one of these coming as soon as Uncle Sam gives the go ahead. The only difference is on mine the position of the laser and the light are reversed and I don't have the top rail with scope. Also I have a threaded barrel with a poly choke instead of a flash suppressor. The poly choke has many settings. X-Full (Closed)

Full

Improved Modified

Modified

Improved Cylinder

Slug

X-Full (Open - Cylinder Bore)

Two settings past Cylinder Bore

My paper work probably won't clear intill atleast late May. It takes about 4 to 6 months for the ATF to clear these. If your questions haven't been answered by then, I would be glad to run some tests for you.

Cool, thanks mike!

No problem, it'll be fun!!! Can't wait to get it. I'll get in touch withyou when I do. Tony gets these out quick so if you like the results and decide to get it, you just might could have it by late fall for hunting season. And with the poly choke have a wide variety of hunting to chose from.

Edited by Mike Davidson