Buying new Saiga .308, Need help with parts and conversion

Im new to this forum, but I was told by someone who comes here often to visit and ask any question I might have about saigas, so where goes.....

Im thinking about buying a new Saiga .308 in wood stock, Was woundering were I could find the parts to convert it into an ak-47 look, (looking for wood butt-stock and wood barrel guard)

thanks

Alright, So I did some research, I found some websites that sell ak-47 parts, What I need to know is wether Saiga 308 is a mill resiever or stamped

Almost everything you run across is stamped.

I found this set for the conversion, Would this work out ?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...&cat=251&page=2

That will work....but remember you must be 922r compliant. Which means you must have no more than 10 forign parts on the gun. The saiga rifles have 15 parts total. So you need to change 5 to US parts. The FCG is 3 parts. That leaves 2 parts to change. That stock set you are looking at has no US parts so you will have to change the gas piston and something else. You made want to look into some furniture made by Battlerifleg3 on this forum. or buy us made furniture. Also to use a standard AK forgrip you either need to remove the FSB and install a retainer or make a custom retainer by cutting one down the middle.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask someone will answer it.

oh wow, thats alot more complicated that I thought it would be, Most guns I own are winchester 70s bolt action. the only semi autos I have are remington 7400, Browning bar, and a bushmaster. I don't own any russian semi autos and I been hearing some awesom reviews on these so I wanted to try one.

So what packages do you guys recommend ? and as stokstad said, I should be "922r" compliant, what Us manufactured furniture is there ? I didn't find any

any help would be appreciated,

thanks

oh wow, thats alot more complicated that I thought it would be, Most guns I own are winchester 70s bolt action. the only semi autos I have are remington 7400, Browning bar, and a bushmaster. I don't own any russian semi autos and I been hearing some awesom reviews on these so I wanted to try one.

So what packages do you guys recommend ? and as stokstad said, I should be "922r" compliant, what Us manufactured furniture is there ? I didn't find any

any help would be appreciated,

thanks

Here you go (make sure you read through the entire thread):

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9471

Edited by DaGroaner

wow, nice stuff, I send battlerifle an email regarding his prices. I was interested in one of the pictures (the one that made the saiga look very much like an ak-47 except with a longer barrel)....... What is the price range of his work ?

wow, nice stuff, I send battlerifle an email regarding his prices. I was interested in one of the pictures (the one that made the saiga look very much like an ak-47 except with a longer barrel)....... What is the price range of his work ?

This company makes a whole assortment of US compliance parts:

http://www.tapco.com/product_list.asp?dept=15&last=39

Also read through this thread if you havn't already

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=8856

Lots of good info and guides for the converstion

Edited by stokstad

Also for a 4-pc U.S. AK-47 stock set check out www.ironwooddesigns.com.

$88 for laminate or solid wood.

That and a fire control group ($35) will get you 6 U.S. parts which you need if you have the barrel threaded. You can then use any mags & brakes out there...

His prices are excellent but it depends on exactly what you want and there are a lot of options.

One other thing to think about.... If you are going to BUY the .308 to replace the furniture on it... buy one with black synthetic furniture to begin with... it will be cheaper... or you can use the WOOD factory set to help fund your conversion... wood .308 sets will sell for big money most times... easily enough to cover the price of a 4 piece USA made furniture set...

OH!!!! WHOOPS... Sorry Vtxretro02... I guess I educated this fellow before you could RIP HIM OFF like you tried with the other noobie here... now he knows what a .308 factory wood set is worth... :lol:

Just wanted to throw those two cents out there for you...

:smoke:

dinzag --

That www.ironwooddesigns.com looks pretty cool.....Bascially I looked at all thier wood piles, I belive I should be looking into thier "FAL" , right ? or is it the "AK" piles ?......Im not sure if the hand guard on the 'AK' piles would fit the Saiga becuase of the longer barrel

dinzag --

That www.ironwooddesigns.com looks pretty cool.....Bascially I looked at all thier wood piles, I belive I should be looking into thier "FAL" , right ? or is it the "AK" piles ?......Im not sure if the hand guard on the 'AK' piles would fit the Saiga becuase of the longer barrel

Nope, you want stamped receiver AK stuff. The barrel length won't matter, the lower retainer goes in the same spot regardless of barrel length.

Also, keep in mind you will need to put a lower handguard retainer on it. I am not familiar with the .308 yet, but if the barrel is larger diameter like my VEPR, you will need a RPK retainer. $40 at K-Var. You can get a AKM one and ream it out exactly like I did with my AKS-410 build for $11. This also involves notching the barrel, and either pressing off the Gas Block & FSB or just splitting the retainer & bolting together.

Also you will need to swap out the upper gas tube for an AKM/AK-74 one.

Lose you yet? :lolol:

Or, you can get an unfinished stock & PG from Battlerilfe or Ironwood and finish them to match the wood Saiga handguard.

Also, if noone has mentioned this yet, I recommend getting the adjustable FCG from Red Star Arms. It's a straight drop in and gives you a very nice trigger pull.