Okay. .308 hi-cap mags?

I just came up with an alternative to the production of hi-caps which have been described. First you start with a standard eight round factory mag for the Saiga .308. You load it and two others with eight rounds each. Then insert the first mag into the rifle and fire eight rounds. Next remove that mag and then put in another and fire another eight rounds. Finally replace the second mag with the third and fire its rounds. Voila, you have fired 24 rounds, you have not done any special work, and you still have three factory mags in pristine condition. I think this could work.

(Just joking, guys, don't send me any death threats.)

Monomonk

who always wants hi-caps for everything

then I have a REALLY hi-capacity mag! :super:

w9v5p1.jpg

There are 2 on Ebay but they're being bid on. I think there are a couple on Gbroker as well and I'm pretty sure Gilberts Guns has them in stock. I bought 2 from them about a month ago.

Monomonk - Good point, but my obssesion with hi-caps for the Saiga .308 stems from the fact that real factory hicap from Saiga/Izhmash don't exist...yet (maybe, hopefully one day they will). Which has always been a real head scratcher for me, why 8 rounds anyway(?), why not 10 like a Dragunov/VEPR?? Why limit the .308 when every other Saiga/Kalashnikov action rifle/shotgun has factory hicaps (of course hicap for a shotgun is 8-10). Seems kinda unfair for the .308 if you ask me. I guess I consider myself an advocate for the Saiga .308's hicap rights! ;)

And, I've had a goal in mind for years to be able to use my 16" .308 in an IDPA carbine or IPSC 3-gun match with more than 9 rounds (11 with modified follower and baseplate) fully loaded. IPSC mainly for the distinction of shooting a Major class rifle, 7.62x39 and .223 are Minor class.

Minor/Major class are determined by projectile weight multiplied by velocity equals power factor. Meet the minimum and you're Major, don't and you're Minor and you score less on non-vital hits.

So if I, and the rest of us that this is an issue for, don't go to the trouble to think of ways to give our beloved .308s the benefit of more than 8-10 rounds to chomp at a time what good are we...right? :D

Yeah, I know what your thinking...get over it and just use what the rifle came with. It's all about choice and I choose not to accept that. :smoke:

I took to my saiga to a local pawn/gunshop today to show the gun-nut behind the counter. He thought the Galali mags would work or come close. Yes....no....I have no idea. Thought someone here may have thought about it.

Doug

never mind. Just read back through this and it was mentioned.......in answer to one of MY posts. We all have our moments I guess.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody contacted Pro-Mag about making a .308 20-25 round mag? They are making 30 rd waffles for the 7.62 x 39.

Damn good idea - they could make it a "booking" and take pre-orders with the caveat that they need a certain number to begin production. That'd be fair!

So, anybody have a web site address or somehting- not googling up... just places selling their products. Actual company name?

Edited by O.S.O.K.

Has anybody contacted Pro-Mag about making a .308 20-25 round mag? They are making 30 rd waffles for the 7.62 x 39.

Damn good idea - they could make it a "booking" and take pre-orders with the caveat that they need a certain number to begin production. That'd be fair!

So, anybody have a web site address or somehting- not googling up... just places selling their products. Actual company name?

I'm not a people person, so i'll leave it to someone else to contact with the proposal..but here's the info.

ProMag Industries

10654 So. Garfield Ave

South Gate, CA 90280

(800)438-2547

(562)861-9554

Fax(562)861-6377

Errr...

You guys heard the stories about the ProMag AK waffles?

I'm not sure you'd want THESE guys making any Saiga mag.

Really!

Lollygagger :unsure:

OK - good point. Who do you suggest? Although, we could insist on metal reinformcements...

Maybe we look at metal mags - there are several outfits making AR mags that have the tooling... a nice aluminum mag would be great...

Errr...

Really!

OK - good point. Who do you suggest? Although, we could insist on metal reinformcements...

Maybe we look at metal mags - there are several outfits making AR mags that have the tooling... a nice aluminum mag would be great...

Both Eagle and Butler Creek seem to make quality mags. The "PSL" Romanian AK weapon that is their tactical equivalent of a Dragunov is commercially offered in a .308 chambering WITH A CLEAR PLASTIC MAG. I've wondered who made the mag...anyone know?

Lollygagger :unsure: (Yes, that mag would NOT fit a Saiga...but the aftermarket people that made it could make one to fit.)

Errr...

Really!

I have a ProMag AK magazine which works flawlessly in my friend's Russian AK. My 7.62x39 Saiga hasn't been modified yet so I had him try it out. I have other ProMag magazines for my other toys and have been pleased with them.

I recently got some ProMag polymer magazines for my Mini-14 and they are the only ones that work out like factory mags. They feed flawlessly and drop freely from the rifle when released. I tried out an Eagle magazine for the Mini-14 which had to be sanded down to fit in the magazine well and did not feed well nor drop freely when released. I had to pull it loose.

The issue that I've heard with the ProMag synthetic "waffle" AK mags isn't that they don't initially work...

It is that they are weak and prone to crack and break easily as they are COMPLETELY plastic -not with metal liners cast in the mag tops as per the combloc versions.

Considering all we have been through on this issue Pro-Mag may be the first logical step considering they are already making a AK waffle mag. The obviously recognize the market potential or they wouldnt have tooled up for them. If we can get them interested in our Saigas then perhaps we can work out some kind of deal.

Its not like we have manufacturers lined up to make'em people. What do we have to lose by reaching out to them and asking?

Edited by vulcan762