usas mags for saiga 12

how do you modify a usas 12 to fit the saiga

rich

One thing I've learned over the last year of looking for USAS info, it's a pretty unusual word. Thus, if you search USAS here, you'll see all that's been written (and it's not too much).

And you won't like the results.

I could tell you the consensus, but then you'd hate me, not the magz .... :)

Welcome.

Hope you aren't one who bought one of those mags on the auction sites where he claimed "easily convertable" and showed a pic .... :cryss:

rich

One thing I've learned over the last year of looking for USAS info, it's a pretty unusual word. Thus, if you search USAS here, you'll see all that's been written (and it's not too much).

Welcome.

Hope you aren't one who bought one of those mags on the auction sites where he claimed "easily convertable" and showed a pic .... :cryss:

I was the guy selling them on the auctions. I didn't list "easily convertable" anywhere on the listing and told everyone that asked that I didn't know how to convert them myself, just that it was possible and people did it. A friend of mine ( a member of this forum) owns a USAS-12 and started converting one of his mags. He said he should have it done today or tomorrow. I will see how it turns out and send everyone that bought one instructions. I still have a bunch of the mags left and decided not to sell anymore because I might try to convert them myself. I don't want to give my friends name because I don't know if he wants to be contacted by everyone. But I will take the time to list how it is done. It doesn't seem that it will be to hard to do.

rich

Welcome.

I was the guy selling them on the auctions. I didn't list "easily convertable" anywhere on the listing and told everyone that asked that I didn't know how to convert them myself, just that it was possible and people did it. A friend of mine ( a member of this forum) owns a USAS-12 and started converting one of his mags. He said he should have it done today or tomorrow. I will see how it turns out and send everyone that bought one instructions. I still have a bunch of the mags left and decided not to sell anymore because I might try to convert them myself. I don't want to give my friends name because I don't know if he wants to be contacted by everyone. But I will take the time to list how it is done. It doesn't seem that it will be to hard to do.

I for one look forward to your tutorial, not that I have any usas mags, but I would sure as hell try to talk you into selling some again if you come through. Good luck

A friend of mine ( a member of this forum) owns a USAS-12 and started converting one of his mags. He said he should have it done today or tomorrow.

Hope he'll share results and methods. I have too few skillz to try this myself, but have watched and read others try (especially since the AWB sunsetted). When he succeeds there WILL be INTENSE interest on this board. There is a long list of talented folks on this board who have tried.

The fact that it is too thick up top makes me wonder if the gun will need to be modded. (vs thinning and weakening the mag). Didn't Tony report that he'd started one, probably could have finished, but wouldn't have been worth the effort?

You have to make it narrower left to right (weakening the plastic) and add front and rear tang extensions, (p.i.t.a) as well as some kind of collar to limit insertion. By the time you do all of this, and taking into account you are starting with a $70 mag, you will find that it is not worth it.

Also, it won't take 3" shells and some 2 3/4" shells also don't fit

rich

Welcome.

You say that you didn't list "easily convertible" anywhere, yet in the same paragraph you say "It doesn't seem that it will be too hard to do"

As one of the people who has way more time in a USAS mag conversion than it is worth, I will tell you right now it is NOT EASY, and the result ain't that great when your done.

More than a few talented people brainstormed the USAS mag conversion, so I can't wait to see what your buddy comes up with, or your instructions on how to do it.

P.S. Those of you interested in USAS mags, give WWW.JLoweClipsandMags.com 1-972-986-8158 a call. He had them new in the wrap for $75 new in the wrap when I bought mine.

Seems like one route might be to dedicate a gun to the USAS mags. Wouldn't be a big deal for a competitor, he's going to be happiest with 10 rounders, at least untill someone produces a regular 10 round mag that can extend to 12 :) He'll be happier still if he can get a dru ... oops, I almost said it.

Anyways, seems like you could shorten and widen the magwell. Weld something for the USAS12 mag to slide on and lock in place. You'd have to have a release too.

Anyone feeling ambitious?

Seems like one route might be to dedicate a gun to the USAS mags. Wouldn't be a big deal for a competitor, he's going to be happiest with 10 rounders, at least untill someone produces a regular 10 round mag that can extend to 12 :) He'll be happier still if he can get a dru ... oops, I almost said it.

Anyways, seems like you could shorten and widen the magwell. Weld something for the USAS12 mag to slide on and lock in place. You'd have to have a release too.

Anyone feeling ambitious?

You are right, it would be much easier to convert the gun than to convert the mag.

As much work that is involved per mag, modding the gun is the way to go.

Further I would suggest a custom USAS-12 magwell. You then just have a bolt-on part that will readily accept the mags as-is. :smoke:

Further I would suggest a custom USAS-12 magwell. You then just have a bolt-on part that will readily accept the mags as-is. :smoke:

AWESOME IDEA!

Let's take it one more step. Since we'll have to widen the shotty, we better build a bolt on factory magwell for the standard mags too ....!

Unfortunately, I'm like those two consultants in that old commercial. They've just talked a client into doing something. He says "fine, make it happen" They sheepishly say "errr, we just come up with the ideas, we don't implement anything ..."

AWESOME IDEA!

Let's take it one more step. Since we'll have to widen the shotty, we better build a bolt on factory magwell for the standard mags too ....!

Unfortunately, I'm like those two consultants in that old commercial. They've just talked a client into doing something. He says "fine, make it happen" They sheepishly say "errr, we just come up with the ideas, we don't implement anything ..."

:lolol::lolol: Same with me. Sometimes I'm dangerous as I have access to equipment. :unsure:

Good thinking on two different magwells...As for the factory one, you just need to recreate what you removed to clear for the USAS mags.

My friend has completed his mag and it looks great!!! It hold 12rds I believe. It is not my place to give away his design and effort. Although the procedure doesn't seem that hard. I suggested he offer the service for sale for the less crafty. Maybe he will reveal himself.

rich

Welcome.

If it was so easy, and you said you would post a how to, then whats up with your word pal? I guese its kinda the same as your misleading others to sell youre mags, like previously stated. I personally chose to believe you before when you came out in defense of yourself, and now this lame BS. Well no big, but Ill say this, you would probably find alot of guys that would pay your buddy, even if you posted the instructions, due to the high cost of the mag, and fear of mistakes. I wont be one of them though, but thats only because Im particular who I do buisiness with, and trust.

Not to add any fuel to the fire here, but I have looked at that pic numerous times and I can't see how it can possibly cycle reliablity in the S-12 sitting at that near vertical angle. The S-12 requires the front of the shell to be EXTREMELY nose-high. The USAS mags feed almost straight in-line foward. You would have to rock the USAS mag way back and have it entering the receiver at a very raked back angle in order to get it to work.

I am NOT saying that it can't be made to work.....just saying the one in that particular pic probably doesn't work very well at all.

Edited by TonyRumore

I got the pic off of this forum somewhere. My friend doesn't want to reveal himself as the designer, so I assume he doesn't want to do the conversions either. He said he would update me with a tutorial to post though. He is fine tuning the feed angle for proper feed. Truly though, It looks like a conversion most could do. I'll keep you all posted. I still have 13 USAS mags but haven't decided if I want to undertake the converting task before selling them.

And here is a link to the auction listing. To settle up this shit about being me being deceiving with my description. Really I don't know why I even care what anyone thinks. I didn't even have to reveal myself as the seller and I don't owe anybody a thing on converting them either. I didn't state they would come with directions and told everyone that asked I didn't know how to convert them, just that somepeople do it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7238824207

Anyways, I will post the (priceless) info as soon as I get the go ahead. I will not give away someones elses work without it. If you don't understand this, I guess you have never created something. Keep your panties on girls, it's coming.

Edited by Mike Davidson

I had 3 USAS 12 mags that I was planning on conerting. Then I got some Saiga 8 rounders early in the game from RusMilitary out of the UK for about $65/shipped each (before the exchanges rates went crazy) and I sold all 3 USAS mags for almost $200.