Hello,

I am new to Saigas and this forum but not to the shooting sports in general. I recently purchased a new Saiga 7.62X39. Last night, I went to the range and lit off a few rounds. Initial impression: FANTASTIC!!! I have had some other Russian guns pass thru my safe but this one is going to be a keeper and project gun. In fact, my GS has a 12ga and a 308. May have to make another trip back after the 4th. Anyway, a quick question if I may. I am shooting some kind of steel surplus ammo that I got back in my earlier Russian gun days (1996-98). I don't remember if the stuff is corrosive, mildly corrosive or what. Last night, after the range, I cleaned the barrel, gas tube and action with CLP. Am I good to go or is there something else that I need to do to protect my gun? Thanks in advance.......I am sure that I will be back with more questions.

BYW I did do a search on "cleaning" and came up with nothing.

Lifer

Hello,

I am new to Saigas and this forum but not to the shooting sports in general. I recently purchased a new Saiga 7.62X39. Last night, I went to the range and lit off a few rounds. Initial impression: FANTASTIC!!! I have had some other Russian guns pass thru my safe but this one is going to be a keeper and project gun. In fact, my GS has a 12ga and a 308. May have to make another trip back after the 4th. Anyway, a quick question if I may. I am shooting some kind of steel surplus ammo that I got back in my earlier Russian gun days (1996-98). I don't remember if the stuff is corrosive, mildly corrosive or what. Last night, after the range, I cleaned the barrel, gas tube and action with CLP. Am I good to go or is there something else that I need to do to protect my gun? Thanks in advance.......I am sure that I will be back with more questions.

BYW I did do a search on "cleaning" and came up with nothing.

Lifer

Well welcome to the board and happy 4th of July!

Your ammo is probably not corrosive, but to be sure, please post more intormation (box markings, etc.) or post a pic of it. Then we can tell you for sure.

If you want to be sure that no harm will come to your rifle, just clean it with hot water and then the CLP. The water will disolve any corrosive primer salts.

Ammonia dissolves corrosive primer salts.

Anything with ammonia in it will do the job. Then clean as normal.

Chances are you are fine... If you are concerned... check it in a couple days for any signs of corrosion...

I wrote Several in depth field stripping/cleaning tutorials here... I have NO IDEA where they went... sorry...

:smoke:

Happy 4th to ya'll too!! Thanks for answereing my question.

I don't have the technology (camera) to post a picture of the box but I can describe it

20 round box- all white with bead styrofoam insert to hold cartridges

20 cartridges 7.62X39mm

123 gr. Full Metal Jacket, Lead Core Bullet

Berdan-primed, Steel Case

Made in Germany

That's the stuff

Thanks

Lifer

East German ammo... hmm I don't know if this is corrosive primed or not - Yugo for sure is.

You may want to check the "collectivity" of this ammo - might sell it for a good price and then use the proceeds for some Wolf or Barnaul for shooting.

OK - posted a question about this on gunbroker and Devil Dog (resident ammo expert) informed me that the East German is indeed corrosively primed.

So clean your rifle with hot water, water/windex with amonia or similar to disolve and clean away the salts. This includes the gas tube, piston and on back to where the gas reaches.

Oh, and he says its not really all that rare and is military ammo that has had the bullets pulled and new ones seated. fwiiw

O.S.O.K

Thanks for all the info. I guess I will be re-cleaning tonight. I have a butt load of this stuff too (@2000rnds?)I wonder why someone would go to the trouble to pull the bullets though???? These look like standard issue copper FMJs.

Lifer

O.S.O.K

Thanks for all the info. I guess I will be re-cleaning tonight. I have a butt load of this stuff too (@2000rnds?)I wonder why someone would go to the trouble to pull the bullets though???? These look like standard issue copper FMJs.

Lifer

Well, I don't know for sure, but they were probably Armor Piercing and could not be imported or something. Its not all that uncommon.

Thanks! Actually, I got out my Russian SKS (1952 Tula) and checked out the innards of it. I haven't shot it for probably 6 years (military sending me out of country on lots of paid vacations to exotic lands) and I wasn't really religious about cleaning it. I shot the same ammo in it that I asked ya'll about. It was a little dirty but I ran a patch down the bore and checke the piston. Diry but no rust or corrosion. I guess if I'd a looked before, I would have answered my own question.

Lifer

Lifer: if you were impressed with the 7.62 saiga, wait till you try the 12 gauge! its a must-have if you ask me (which you didnt)

Nothing gets the ranges attention like a S-12 dumping rounds at the pattern range.I get people walking over to check out the "thumper".Five rounds is cool,ten is going to be even better.

Get yourself a S-308 while your at it,very good shooter for money,and soon you can have 20rd mags to go with it.It beats the hell out of a PTR,FAL any day.

I can out shoot a buddy with his PTR vs my Vepr 308/M14 and my S-308.

Funny you all should mention the 12ga and the 308. It just so happens that my LGS has each of them. I will probably get the 12ga next. I went out and shot the 7.62X39 again last nite and it is really starting to smooth up and get better. The trigger is still a little stiff, but breaks cleanly. In regards to my Russian SKS, yes, it sleeps in a Liberty safe with Golden Rod de-humidifyer. It must work, because there have been times that I was gone for over a year and the safe was never opened. I have never had a bit of rust on any of my guns (a good many of which are actually blued steel, imagine that!)

And....this might seem weird to most of you, but I actually like the looks of the Saiga as is. It reminds me of a M14 or Garrand.

Lifer