Live & Learn

Well. . .I hate to admit it, but I have spent the better part of a year trying to figure out, and fix, why the S&B buckshot rounds (the extra 3 pellets are nice to have) were not cycling flawlessly, and making the tube-fed guys gloat when they hiccupped. They would eject, but fail to strip a new round. Well, at a match yesterday, being out of ideas, I removed my Buffertech buffer, and ANY ammo functioned just as the EXP vid at the Izhmash site says: FLAWLESSLY.

I am still a huge Buffertech fan in all my rifles and pistols, BUT. . .the BT AK buffer is about 3/4" thick. It finally dawned on me that that much of a shortened distance of carrier travel MAY just be seriously dicking with the gun's timing and therefore, the ability to strip a new 3" round. 2 3/4" ran great, but the 3" would eject, but fail to strip a new round. I finally had my epiphany.

I removed the buffer and low and behold, my legendary Kalashnikov reliability returned in spades!! I now know that I need to try tyhe Blackjack buffer, which I initially passed over due to the short life of the earlier models.

Live & Learn. Having seen the previous BJB thread on backordering, I hope I ca get one into my 2 S-12s ASAP.

I posted earlier about blackjack not shipping their buffers out to me for over a week. they just responded to my e-mail and said they should arrive tomorrow. my account on their site still says the order is processing though, so hopefully that is just a mistake. I'll post it here if they do arrive.

I have the BT buffers in my 308 and 7.62x39. They work great. But when I tried to put one in the 12 ga it didnt look right. I called BT and they said it should work but they had never tried it in a Saiga-12. Someone there had one and they tried to put a buffer in it. When he came bck to the phone he said not to use it. I think the bottom part is too short: needs to be 3/8 inch longer for the S-12.

Not picking a fight, but why put them in. THe AK was designed to work without one. I don't want anything in the gun that affects reliability. I've seen it with shock buffs in 1911's too. They adversely effect reliability.

Are they really that necessary?

D

Altho the Saiga's work fine without buffers, why let the boltcarrier beat on the rear trunnion? The buffer isn't necessary, but it is a nice refinement. Use BlackJack's buffer- it is much thinner and will not interfere with the action.

Buffers are great to use if you want your rear trunnion to stay in oerfect shape. My SAR1 has close to 25k through it now, and all but about 2k were shot with Buffers inplace. The rear of my bolt carrier, as well as my rear trunnion, are in much better condition then my friends WASR10, that has roughly 8-9k through it. His is significantly dented up and mushroomed in places, where as mine it pretty clean and perfect as far as metal finish.

I can always tell people who are trying to sell an AK "with only 500 rds through it" the trunnion tells otherwise every time.

I have the BT buffers in my 308 and 7.62x39. They work great. But when I tried to put one in the 12 ga it didnt look right. I called BT and they said it should work but they had never tried it in a Saiga-12. Someone there had one and they tried to put a buffer in it. When he came bck to the phone he said not to use it. I think the bottom part is too short: needs to be 3/8 inch longer for the S-12.

That problem is that the BT IS TOO LONG (deep/thick). The BJ seems to be thinner and will allow the necessary distance of travel and timing for the 3" shells. I have never used the BJs, but from the responses here, it seems that I might be on target regarding my theory.

Not picking a fight, but why put them in. THe AK was designed to work without one. I don't want anything in the gun that affects reliability. I've seen it with shock buffs in 1911's too. They adversely effect reliability.

D

No fight needed. With 1911s. . .agreed. They are twitchy at best anyway, but re: the AK. . . they make shooting them MUCH more pleasant in terms of recoil and noise, and they do extend working life greatly.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Aug 7 2006, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Altho the Saiga's work fine without buffers, why let the boltcarrier beat on the rear trunnion? The buffer isn't necessary, but it is a nice refinement. Use BlackJack's buffer- it is much thinner and will not interfere with the action.

That's what I suspected.

Edited by inparidel

D

I recently put a BT in my SAR-1. It significantly changed the profile of the recoil, instead of being a sharp slam it was more of a roll. Kind of like shooting a .40 pistol vs a .45. The new recoil is much more pleasant and controllable. Reliability has not be affected, it has several hundred rounds with the buffer with no issues.

I've got to get one for my S-12, looks like I'll have to call blackjack this time. My 19" has 4 gas holes and kicks harder than my old 17" with 3 gas holes, I think a buffer will soak up a lot of this.