I have build questions.....

I pick up my S223 on wednesday, and yes I am going to attempt to convert it on my own :unsure:. But I have a few questions. Yes I tried the search option, but did not find the answers I need.

1. How do you install the retention spring for the hammer and trigger pin since the rear factory pins will be removed?

2. What is a sheppards hook, and do I need one?

3. What is the difference between a stamped and milled safety? And why are they not interchangable?

4. Does anyone have a side view picture or cad drawing of the FCG to ensure I don't screw it up?

Thanks in advance.....

1. How do you install the retention spring for the hammer and trigger pin since the rear factory pins will be removed?

You either use a binding post to fill one pair of old pin holes, then wrap the old retainer spring around that, as shown here:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_7.htm

Or you dispense with the old retainer in favor of a more traditional device, like the AK "shepherd's hook", E-clips, or the RSA retainer plate.

The "shepherd's hook" is the colloquial name for the traditional hammer/trigger pin retaining wire found in AK-type rifles. See above.

3. What is the difference between a stamped and milled safety? And why are they not interchangable?

No idea, I don't own any milled rifles. The stamped safety is what you'll need if you're thinking about upgrading to a SWIFT lever.

4. Does anyone have a side view picture or cad drawing of the FCG to ensure I don't screw it up?

Screw what up? You should be tearing out the sporter trigger pack and dropping in a standard AK pack. No rocket science there.

You either use a binding post to fill one pair of old pin holes, then wrap the old retainer spring around that, as shown here:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_7.htm

Or you dispense with the old retainer in favor of a more traditional device, like the AK "shepherd's hook", E-clips, or the RSA retainer plate.

The "shepherd's hook" is the colloquial name for the traditional hammer/trigger pin retaining wire found in AK-type rifles. See above.

No idea, I don't own any milled rifles. The stamped safety is what you'll need if you're thinking about upgrading to a SWIFT lever.

Screw what up? You should be tearing out the sporter trigger pack and dropping in a standard AK pack. No rocket science there.

Thanks, that is what I thought. I can rip apart an AR/M16 and put them together in my sleep, but AK's are a new beast for me.

My guess is that the milled receiver is thicker than a stamped receiver whick makes a different safety required to fit correctly. The FCG is a little hard to put in at first. I use to cuss when installing a sheperds hook. Now it is almost fun to put them in. You can probably GOOGLE "AK Trigger Diagram" or "AK Trigger Installation" to get your requested diagram.....Good Luck........