What is the best latest and greatest handgun?

hey guys,

I was wondering what the general chatter is about what is the best gun out right now for CC. off the top of my head several come to mind, the H&K usp, H&K P2000, springfield XD, SIG mauser M2, and prob. several others.

hell I could just go out and look for the newest guns and ammo mag or something and see whats up, but where is the fun in that?

If I'm gonna lay the cash down, I might as well get the best I can afford.

thanks,

The ones you've names are good, though I'm unfimiliar with that particular SIG. My USP compact has been great to carry, looking at getting the full size soon. My friend's Glock 21, although big to conceal, is very accurate and holds alot of .45 rounds (13rd mag w/+2 ext). I have other friends who swear SIGs are the best. I have to say I'm partial to polymer pistols with an emphasis on HK for quality and reliability.

I have gone down this road many times, most recently with my wife. Here are my impressions and personal opinoins:

If you are going by brand name only, Glock should definately be in there, as in my opinion, you get a lot of handgun for the money, when compared to an H&K or a Sig. Both are fine handguns, but a bit pricey.

I would suggest to you to go and rent all of the ones that you have mentioned and the following:

Glock model 26 (9mm)

Glock model 27 (.40 S&W)

Glock model 30 (.45 ACP)

Glock model 36 (.45 ACP but slimmer, single stack version)

Kahr PM9 (9mm)

Out of all of the ones you rent, choose the one that you shoot the best. Not just talking about hitting a target, but if it is comfortable in your hands.

Out of all of the above guns, my wife picked the Kahr PM9. It is a great little gun, very concealable, very easy to shoot, and hers feeds anything that we put through it.

I personally carry a Glock model 30 every day. Some people find this pistol a bit wide, but I think it shoots great, and you can't ask for a more reliable gun. Feeds anything. Accuracy wise it is as accurate as my Kimber TLE RLII out to 10 yards, and for CCW, thats more than good enough.

Anyhow just my opinion, and good luck!

Edited by Wicked96SS

thats a good idea, and as a matter of fact I know of a gun store that does rent guns to shot (at their indoor range). That makes a lot of sense.

What I also wonder, is how big of a improvent is the new HK LEM trigger? It sounds like its really awesome, but is it worth the extra money and what about the other brands are they making something along the same lines?

Well, you are good with an HK pistol in my opinion. I haven't shot the LEM model so I can't give you a comparison on trigger pulls. Personally, I like the double action trigger...it allows you to carry with the safety off, hammer down, and the gun chambered. After that first pull, its smooth sailing...

Glocks on the other hand have a very sensitive trigger and no other safeties ...I wouldn't want to carry them chambered. I don't want to have to mess with a slide or hammer either, should I have to pull my pistol, so that rules out single action guns.

I checked out the 9mm Khar and Springfield XD, but didn't like the feel of them in the shop...but I haven't shot them. A long time ago I had my eyes set on the Taurus PT92 with the stainless finish...when I finally went to buy my first handgun, I wasn't impressed with it, looked like plastic to me, but the blued models look fine and shoot well at a cheaper price than a Beretta.

Glocks on the other hand have a very sensitive trigger and no other safeties ...I wouldn't want to carry them chambered.

WOW! You are the first person I have ever heard say that about a Glock! I wouldn't describe the trigger on a glock as sensative at all! I have to admit I am suprised at that.

I don't like safties on a carry gun... if I need my gun to fire, I just want to be able to pick it up and pull the trigger and have it fire... in my personal opinion the best safety you have is between your ears. A Glock will NOT go off unless you physically pull the trigger. I have carried a glock "hot" for 14 years now, in all sorts of stupid ways. Only time it goes off is when I purposefully pull the trigger. As for not having safties, it has 3 internal safties that insures what I have just said. It has one external safety, the one on the trigger.

If you were local, I would make the challeng for you to carry one of my Glocks empty but reset, in an IWB holster of your choice. If you can make the firing pin fall by doing anything short of purposefully pulling the trigger, I would give you $100.00....

But, all that Glock hype aside, if you just don't feel comfortable carrying a gun without a safety, than you probably shouldn't. You should do what makes you comfortable... but, as you can tell, I am 100% confident my Glock wont' go off unless (until) I pull the trigger purposefully. But, I also realize that Glocks arent' for everybody no matter how hard I push them!!

I know exactly what you're saying. The trigger still seems lighter than a real double action trigger, and the idea that all that is needed is somethng to hit the trigger right, and pow, I've removed a considerable portion of my body while sitting down, running, whatever. I don't always carry with a holster, so I have to trust a trigger 100% before I carry it IWB.

As for safeties I totally agree...if you have to shoot, you want the simplest of actions, no slide or hammer pull or click of a safety... just point and pull the trigger!

They are pretty close to each other...I liked the idea of the .357sig when I heard they were going to make it....but now I'd say go with the .40...it is big with police and is much easier/cheaper to get. You know a .45 is nothing to shy away from either ;)

For shooting, 9mm is cheap to shoot, but for defense, you want a heavier round, unless you'd rather have capacity over power.

My suggestion is get a name brand 45 that is comfortable for you, some Wolf ammo to practice with, and some Hydrashocks to carry around.

In my personal opinion, shoot the most powerful round that you can shoot quickly and comfortably... don't subscribe the the hot load of the week...

.357 sig is loud and has lots of preceived recoil making follow up shots more difficult than 9mm or even .45 ACP.

We are talking about personal defense here, not hunting... a hit with a 9mm is 100% better than a miss with .500 S&W....

9mm is fine for personal defense... shot placement is much more important than the magical "one shot stop" ammo of the week...

Just my opinion.

i tell ya, the CZ 75 is a pretty nice shooting gun, and is slim enough to carry.......just my two cents....I would carry anything in .40 or .45 myself. chances are you will be robbed or whatever by someone on drugs, and 9mm wont be stopping them, short of a shot to the head.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

you know, with a gain of salt, looking at this chart notice not one single FMJ made the top of the list for its cal. a .45 ACP HP etc has the stats to show its in the so called 98% for one shot stop, and yet the same cal with a FMJ is down in the 54%. (Just an observation)

There are several cal. to chose from with different brands ammo, and the results are interestering.

I've always like CZs, so their are an option as well.

I've placed a order of some handgun ammo, and plan to take them all to test them out with different guns. (maybe this weekend)

Edited by Verson

Actually, so does a .22 LR Hornet round... if you are close enough.

I too would VERY much like to see a .17 HMR Auto Pistol... preferably something the size of a KelTec P32, maybe slightly longer barrel... although, I am sure the short barrel would just totally mess up the velocity of the round, thus making it slightly warmer than a .22 LR...

Still, would be a very interesting BUG!!!

well I went to the gun store today.........

They had most of the guns I wanted to look at, except for the M2 and CZ 100. I rulled out the M2 because of the fact it has a roating barrel that requires good lub. to keep it working well.

I found out that they changed the selection of guns to rent and shoot, only one glass case now. Thus I didnt get to shoot all of 'em.

Need less to say, I came, I saw, I held, I looked some more, and bam I fell in love with one squeeze of the P2000's lem trigger. out of what they had another with high score ranks by me was the SIG they had (a p239 I think) the glock and xd were good...... but like i said one pull of the lem trigger and the HK was sold.

post-20-1088211962.jpg

Edited by Verson

Since I bought my Kahr MK40, I haven't been carrying anything else concealed. It fits in my pocket, packs a powerful punch, is accruate, and has a pretty smooth trigger for a little double action auto.

A gun for concealed carry won't do you any good unless you carry it everyday. So you need to get something comfortable enough to wear with any clothing so you won't think, "well, my pistol is just too cumbersome to put in these pants. I just won't carry it today." When that happens, Murphy's Law, you won't have it with you when you actually need it.

LuthorBillis: I've heard of a few gang members who will give the call to "vest up" if they are going to be in a gun fight. I've had a friend who was shot and killed by some gang members in a "brawl", although I dont know if they were vested but they may have very well been.

just my exp.

well I went to the gun store today.........

They had most of the guns I wanted to look at, except for the M2 and CZ 100. I rulled out the M2 because of the fact it has a roating barrel that requires good lub. to keep it working well.

I found out that they changed the selection of guns to rent and shoot, only one glass case now. Thus I didnt get to shoot all of 'em.

Need less to say, I came, I saw, I held, I looked some more, and bam I fell in love with one squeeze of the P2000's lem trigger. out of what they had another with high score ranks by me was the SIG they had (a p239 I think) the glock and xd were good...... but like i said one pull of the lem trigger and the HK was sold.

You can't go wrong with the H&K, a fine firearm in it's own right! I know several people that have H&K and they are just as reliable as my beloved Glock... so go for it!! I will own one very soon... but alas, it will be a range toy...

It is very important that you choose a gun that you are comfortable with and that fires well in your hands... the ony thing more important that that is the reliability... after all, that is what will save your life, the fact that the gun goes BOOM whenever you pull the trigger.

Personally, I prefer the Glock trigger... after some buffing, it is one of the smoothest (notice I didn't say lightest) trigger on the market. I truely enjoy the safe action, consitant trigger pull that Glock offers...

ANYHOW!! Now that you have made the decision, save up and get it. If you need a good online source, PM me and I might be able to save you a couple of bucks. But first, get some local costs including tax, and find out how much an FFL transfer is... and I might be able to help... might not, but I might.. worth trying out!

Once you get it, break it in good with some cheap range ammo. I would probably put 300-500 rounds through it. Then get AT LEAST 300 rounds of what you are going to carry, and don't carry that pistol until you can fire 300 rounds of that same ammunition with no malfunctions.

THEN please post a range report, and I will get one too!!! ;)

LuthorBillis: I am in no way saying that penetration through a bulletproof vest is a requirement for a handgun round....and of course was not mentioning it for use against the police or anything....I've just been looking at vests online, trying to learn the terminology. I always see at least one for sale at Knob Creek, but I've never known what the classes of vests were till now...pretty intersesting stuff. I recently heard that if I, for example, was wearing a vest while I was forced to shoot someone with my concealed weapon, I could be prosecuted for it...kinda like if I was carrying two guns or a full auto (legally registered). The police (and the prosecuter) could say I went out looking for a fight and that it was all my fault, blah blah.

Personally, I don't want a round that I have to worry about over penetration with...I told one of my friends that when he got a .357.

Verson: Bravo on your choice of handguns, I can't say enough about HK...what caliber did you get, the 40 or 45?

Edited by KySoldier

Wicked96SS: a trans fee here would run about $35-$50 plus shipping of $25.

The store I was at offered one for $820, plus tax and everything was getting close to 900. A bit expensive, I've noticed em going for 700 something off of gunbroker, but trans and shipping I'm still looking at almost 800.

So I figured what the heck, and buy it at the store to get it sooner. I also recieved two months free at their indoor shooting range. A real plus right now in the florida summer heat. (because I have a membership at an another outdoor range)

I'll be sure to brake her in, and get a range report asap. :)

btw

The damn light off XD (I think it was the xd version) and included a lazer was $300!!!!!!! I was like holy crap. I know they are small and light, but good god.

any others around for less monies?

KySoldier: they are only making the p2000 (for now) in 9mm and .40 thus I got the .40 I had thought about the usp compact .45 with lem trigger if I could get it. But decided I liked the p2000 since it was a little bit (a tad bit) smaller and lighter.

• 1 month later...

HK is probably the best overall choice...alot of people will argue that they are to boxy for CC. not me

Personally i am the owner of a CZ75 in .40 and a CZ 40p bother are excellent shooters and in my opinion the best bang of the buck as handguns go...the CZ P01 is suposed to be one of the best for CC and for 400.00 makes a great argument for me.