bullet guide for flat cut trunnions

So, a few days ago Vjor inspired me with his bullet guide design, to make a one piece milled guide. I made one and sent it off to him so he could test it with an orlite mag. I have tested it with the bulgarian waffles and they feed perfectly. I guess I was wondering if there would be interest in it, granted it will feed with the orlites too. I can't imagine I would want too much for em. I'd probably just make the guide without a hole in it, that way you folks who have already drilled and tapped your trunnions( which may or may not be in exactly the place of the factory rivet hole) can use them too.

What do ya think?

I really just need an excuse to buy a better mill, and this would give me a good excuse to tell my wife for spending the money :D oh, and just to be clear, I am not offering these for sale yet. just a feeler for the few that might want one. I also don't want to step on anyones toes( I.E. dinzag and his awsome guides, or vjor for the original idea).

Edited by angrydutchman

I'll be offering some up very soon. I've seen only 2 variations in the flat trunnion. Some have a rivet hole drilled in them already and others do not...

If you have the means to manufacture them, go right ahead!

Competition is good for everyone. :up:

edited to add:

I wish there were others willing to jump on making us some mags!

Edited by dinzag

I am interested in using the East German bake lite 5.45 mags with the Robarms .223 follower - will either one of the proposed bullet guides work with this combination? My understanding is the East German bake lite mags require a bullet guide that has a 'crown' in the middle of the guide.

My mags will be unmodified other than the .223 follower, I am paying a gunsmith to relieve the trunnion 'lugs' to allow for the DDR mags to seat properly with out modifications.

well that depends on weather you have a cut or uncut trunnion. if it's cut you can follow vjor's guide on making one yourself. If it's uncut, you can get one of dinzags guides.

As far as I know, the bakelites should feed with dinzags guide(not entirely sure...dinzag?).

...I guess I was wondering if there would be interest in it, granted it will feed with the orlites too...

What do ya think?

Sounds great!

I've got a cut receiver, without the hole. If it will feed 100% with the Orlites, I will definitely take one of your bullet guides (or Dinzag's if he offers one). I bought the bar stock I would need to build a copy of Vjor's design, but time is more important to me right now than saving a few bucks (plus, as Vjor noted, your bullet guide is beautiful! ;>).

One caveat: I wouldn't want to wait months to get a 'commercial' guide (that time thing again). If nothing pops up that I can buy 'off the shelf,' I'll probably just build my own bullet guide, a few hours here, a few there...

you can check before you buy it usually. that is, if the gun store will let you.

My local dealers waht almost $100 more than I can get them for on line, so I will have to go and take what I get. Your flat BG is working with the Galil orlite mags, have you tried them with the bulgy 5.56 mags?

actually, I am still having trouble with the galil mags feeding reliably. The bulgy 5.56 mags feed perfectly though. I have kind of decided though that I am not going to make them for now. so you all are gonna have to wait for dinzag to get a guide going for us flat cut people(or get a bulgy 5.56 guide from kvar). I am going to be focusing all my money on my new mac-10 project. :killer:

Live fire on the flat cut guides tomorrow. I should have them ready to go in a week or so. I will update the FS thread when ready.

I had an issue with the galil at first go with the round trunnion EAA gun, but fixed it. The last round was launching too high, but I tweaked the angle. :smoke:

...but they could throw some kicka$$ orgies! :smoke:

Here's the deal...

The shoot on the weekend got rained out, but I went at it Tuesday.

100% success with several of the prototypes with the bulgy 223 & galil 223 mags. Both the old round trunnion gun and the new flat cut trunnion rifles worked with a couple different designs. I only tested 1 of each of the mags.

I did have a 2 failure to chamber/feed issues with the AK-74 mags where the bolt would start to overrun the round then drag forward and stovepipe.

The other single failure was it totally skipped the last round and rode right over in the new gun. I cycled by hand and it jumped right in. I cannot get any AK-74 mags to fail when hand cycling, but it happened with the last round during live-fire.

I'm 99% sure that had to do with the modified follower. My buddy is bringing his RobArms followers over this weekend so I will dump a few hundred more Sunday. I'm taking all my AK-74 mags and his as well as 3 different 223 Saigas.

Too much fun!!! :smoke:

Anyway, I should have some cranked out in a couple weeks and I will put up a new for-sale post. I will also come up with an exchange for any .223 guides I've sold in the past. They won't be free, but the new guides do not need the chamber grinding/beveling and feed galils and bulgie 223's. I suspect the AK-74's will be fine as well.

...but they could throw some kicka$$ orgies! :smoke:

Here's the deal...

The shoot on the weekend got rained out, but I went at it Tuesday.

100% success with several of the prototypes with the bulgy 223 & galil 223 mags. Both the old round trunnion gun and the new flat cut trunnion rifles worked with a couple different designs. I only tested 1 of each of the mags.

I did have a 2 failure to chamber/feed issues with the AK-74 mags where the bolt would start to overrun the round then drag forward and stovepipe.

The other single failure was it totally skipped the last round and rode right over in the new gun. I cycled by hand and it jumped right in. I cannot get any AK-74 mags to fail when hand cycling, but it happened with the last round during live-fire.

I'm 99% sure that had to do with the modified follower. My buddy is bringing his RobArms followers over this weekend so I will dump a few hundred more Sunday. I'm taking all my AK-74 mags and his as well as 3 different 223 Saigas.

Too much fun!!! :smoke:

Anyway, I should have some cranked out in a couple weeks and I will put up a new for-sale post. I will also come up with an exchange for any .223 guides I've sold in the past. They won't be free, but the new guides do not need the chamber grinding/beveling and feed galils and bulgie 223's. I suspect the AK-74's will be fine as well.

Well a slight tweak and 300+ rounds later...bingo!

The design is now finalized on both trunnion types.

I will post some info when they're ready ship. :up:

I'm new to this site, I joined a couple of days ago. I have a question I hope someone could help me with. I purchased a giude from K-Var for my Saiga 223 before I found this great site. Now that I have this guide, will it work OK or should I wait for one of dinzag's new ones. I have a Bulgy 30 round mag that I did the mods on for fit but I have not tapped the guide in yet. I have the square cut trunnoin. Thanks zip

PS did I mention that I love this site.

Edited by Zippo

From what Ive read and researched, I'd pass on the KVAR guide and wait for DINZAGs. KVARs are occassionally problematic.

DINZAG has a very good rep for products that work well and come with all the needed tools and such. Plus hes easy to get in touch with on any issue.

My .02$.

post-2093-1162376300_thumb.jpg

Zippo, PM sent. They will probably fit just fine with some work. They won't feed all mags, but you might get it to work with just the Bulgy mag.

Many many thanks easy610 & vjor, you guys rock!!! Thanks for loaning the equipment I needed. :up:

Pic above is of some of the prototypes I tested.

Well a slight tweak and 300+ rounds later...bingo!

The design is now finalized on both trunnion types.

I will post some info when they're ready ship. :up:

"BINGO!" sounds absolutely great! Please let us know when they are ready to ship - I suspect a lot of folks here really appreciate the chance to support our local WECSOG suppliers!

Thanks again!

;>)