I'm getting ready to place an order for some regular ammo, min 500 rds

and CCW ammo min 300 rds.

What do you guys reccomend?

I've heard of Federal Hydra-Shok in several other dicussions

"Federal Hydra-Shok is the choice of law enforcement agencies worldwide. The unique center-post design delivers controlled expansion while the notched jacket provides efficient energy transfer for maximum penetration."

Winchester Supreme Ammunition

"Supreme SXT Personal Protection ammunition features a reverse-taper jacket and a two-stage hollow point for dramatic expansion and maximum energy deposit."

Remington Golden Saber Ammunition

"An outstanding example of Remington Bullet innovation. Designed for law enforcement, home security and personal defense applications, the Golden Saber High Performance Jacket successfully combines four critical elements of handgun bullet performance: match-type accuracy, deep penetration, maximum expansion and virtually 100% weight retention. No other bullet has ever been able to fulfill these performance parameters so completely. This ammunition also features primer and mouth waterproofing for long-term reliability, nickel-plated cases for reliable feeding, treated powders for low muzzle flash and primers are triple-inspected during the manufacturing process."

should I stick to the same brand for regular range trial, 500 rds, or will it hurt to go cheap and get a big case of wolf???

• 2 weeks later...

try it all out. lighter grain bullets shoot flatter. federal 135gr civi is the lightest stuff sold and feals like your shooting 9mm though has more energy. one of those pages had horrible info on speed and energy.

corbon 135gr is nice speed and energy wise. remington express 155gr does 1200fps and 500ft lbs energy issued to US border patroll with glock 22's. winchester silvertip 155gr supposed to do the same.

federal commercial stuff is light and tame though nice recoil. leo is bit hotter in 9mm not sure they have hot 40 since they had a incident with glock 40 and some ammo.

gold dot 165gr is little hot believe it does 1150fps. 180gr 900-1000 go higher in speed and pushing the limits.

40S&W can get into low 10mm though because of unsupported barrels its advised to stay away from them. got a fully supported chamber and some courage feal free to load some up hot though gradually.

max with longshot powder 135gr doing 1480-1500fps. 150/155gr doing 1300. 165gr doing 1150-1200. 180gr 1100-1150.

gotta be carefull with 180gr due to bullet setback. you can get up to 200gr though bullet setback is a issue.

if they made 115gr and 125gr bullets for 40S&W.357sig would drop dead.

I shoot a steyr M40 myself. still learning on 40S&W. barrel twist and optimum bullet weight/charge.

wish someone would do some FMJ testing with 40S&W penetration.

He's got an HK so I'm assuming it is rated for +P ammo like mine and others I've seen. I think hot ammo is fine if he wants to shoot it a bit and carry some around. Personally, I think ammo that recoils heavy is no good for CCW, and I don't care to put extra wear on an expensive gun; so I carry the Hydro-Shok in .45. Wolf is fine to shoot, cheap, non corrosive, you can't beat it for what it is! I always shoot wolf at the range, I can't afford to go buy name-brand stuff at walmart everytime. You just have to make sure to clean around the firing pin to remove the primer sealant that is left behind.

for carry, find the most expensive ammo that is the most deadly for your area.....in a couple of states, you can only have FMJ ammo....get a brick of everything cheap if thats your deal and shoot them all off one day....take the one that works best, and get thier best ammo thats legal for you....hope that helps....its what i do to select ammo for a good gun...

some states even keep LEO's from using JHP ammo.

No way. I won't believe that until someone proves it to me. A police department would be at too high of a liability risk to use FMJ ammo due to overpenetration concerns. The sheriffs and chiefs of that state would have a fit.

well, there in new jersey, it is a felonious act PER ROUND to possess hollow point ammo. (yes, a full clip in your 45 of JHP ammo there is 8 felonies) if its a federal law, it might apply to local law enforcement as well, though I cant see how thats possible. massacussettes and connecticuit have similar laws too. not sure which others there are, but i know there are more.

Edited by Bvamp
  • 2 months later...

well guys,the law goes like this.you can posess hp ammo 1) on your way to or from the range,2) on your way to or from the store where you bought it.i'm not sure what leo's carry,since i am just a citizen in NJ.but come to think of it is soft point ammunition good enough for for selfe defense?still nomatter what,if you want to carry in a lame state like this,you have to be a cop or a security person.the nazi judges won't issue usual citizens a carry permit.i would have to prove to them an acual life threatening need. god i need to get out of this state :ded: