I can't shoot my Saiga anymore

My problem is that after about three years of faithful service, my first Saiga 12 (2000 12 C with sight ramp and 19" barrel with a threaded muzzle), is that it is now beginnng to straight and stovepipe jam with all sporting target ammo not the potent OO buck or slug stuff). Does anyone have an answer to that one? Please help.

How many rounds did it take for your S-12 to get to that point? I assume you've cleaned the gas piston and chamber right behind the gas block? Seems like if aren't getting enough recoil impulse out of bird shot maybe your chamber is crudded up or gas port clogged with lead?

I'm going to some dremel work to those two parts of the chamber. It should feed anything after that.

Kevin

Edited by Z1500

If you just look at those Winchester Universal shells, you can clearly see a problem. The shells are actually flared outward right at the leading edge of the shell. The body diameter is about .775", whereas the big bulge right at the front is about 805".

My problem is that after about three years of faithful service, my first Saiga 12 (2000 12 C with sight ramp and 19" barrel with a threaded muzzle), is that it is now beginnng to straight and stovepipe jam with all sporting target ammo not the potent OO buck or slug stuff). Does anyone have an answer to that one? Please help.

How many rounds did it take for your S-12 to get to that point? I assume you've cleaned the gas piston and chamber right behind the gas block? Seems like if aren't getting enough recoil impulse out of bird shot maybe your chamber is crudded up or gas port clogged with lead?

I'm going to some dremel work to those two parts of the chamber. It should feed anything after that.

Kevin

Thanks for the response. Yes. I have religiously cleaned the gun in all nooks and crannies. I have used Teflon greases and oils in the bore and on all wearing surfaces. The problem just seems to be "cropping" up withour reason. maybe the teflon (you should feel how slick my barrel is before and after cleaning) is reducing the time spent in the barrel, and hence the timing of the gun???

Again, thanks. Any ideas?

Kevin

Oh. . .I have well over 2000 rounds through the gun.

I was starting to get random misfeeds (shell from mag hits top feed ramp head-on) with my Saiga 12. I probably have a thousand or so rounds through it by now. I removed the buffer and replaced the recoil spring with a new one. I get very little in the way of malfunctions now and I have used it in two major 3-gun matches. Also, check the drag on the bolt by any replacement trigger/hammer parts. Retract the bolt and slowly let it ride home to chamber. If it stops or feels like it is catching on something then find the source of the drag. On mine, the replacement hammer was too tall when the bolt would ride over it. Odd thing was that it took several hundred rounds for the malfunctions to occur from the time parts were replaced from a forward pistol grip conversion.

I have noticed some European shotshells which are roll crimped and/or slightly longer in length seemed to feed better during rapid firing. Sellier & Bellot and Wolf as cheap as it is, works real good for me in matches.