His & Hers Saiganovs (dial-up warning)

nice bedspread.

Actually it's the wife's best tablecloth . . . :angel:

Larry

Tell me about the mags.

Frankenmags . . . cut the top off one and the bottom off another, glue them together, fill with epoxy for strength . . . Presto! You get an instant 16-round mag. The CA was Loctite 380 "Black Max", and the epoxy was Loctite 11C Hysol (black).

Larry

what did you use for the lower HG retainer on the wood one?

The handguard and retainer came from BRG3 as well . . . the retainer is somesort of sheet aluminum in a "C" shape. The gap at the top is just wide enough to slide over the the narrow portion of the barrel (at the gas block), and not wide enough to slip over other portions of the barrel. I used some stick-on felt to around the inside of the retainer so the metal-on-metal contact wouldn't mar the finish.

Larry

PS: Close-ups of the mag and the retainer:

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Edited by LESchwartz

SWEET!!

I'm torn. I want another S308, but with the 21-22inch barrel. I don't know if I want the wood or synthetic stocks when I convert it. I would love to have both, but I can't swing it. There are too many things I want, and even more that I actually need. I am damn impressed with BRG3's work, and definitely want to use them on a project. I would like to have doubles of every saiga I have if not just to put BRG3's wood on them............... in the totally non-sexual way, of course.

NICE MAG!! I was about to chop up my factory mags in a similar way, but then FBMG announced their intentions.

I hope some people will sell their 8 rounders off for cheap now!

Edited by headshot

Idea: would anyone risk their long-awaited and coveted FBMG 20-rd mags and an 8-rder or even another 20-rounder, a hacksaw and epoxy; to make a 28 or 40-rd mag???

would need a bigger spring from maybe a 30-rd HK91 mag or something, but...

Just an idea?

C-

but then FBMG announced their intentions.

I've got some FBMG mag bodies on order, so I can make use of the extra parts . . . :eek:

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
I plan to do a 20+20 weld job when my order shows up...

How can I not? Those bodies are perfect for it!

I suspect you'll need to figure out how to "bond" two springs together. Using the 8-round spring in a 20-rounder may be doable, but using an 8-round (or even a 20-round) spring in a 40-round mag is probably stretching it a bit.

IMHO . . . YMMV

Larry

I suspect you'll need to figure out how to "bond" two springs together. Using the 8-round spring in a 20-rounder may be doable, but using an 8-round (or even a 20-round) spring in a 40-round mag is probably stretching it a bit.

As far as "binding" two 20 round mags together, how about putting a plate between the two springs? The same way the the bottom of the follower mates to the spring, you could put a plate between the springs at the midpoint which held a spring end on either side. It might need guides and its thickness would probably cost you a round or two from the mag, but it might be a workable solution. Maybe even two followers with the tops sanded flush and glued together; trim the guides till its the height of a single follower? again it would cost you more rounds from the magazine, but it might be a solution?

• 1 month later...

Larry, you and I obviously think alike, because I had that same idea! I even have the Choate stock and black furnature on my S-.308 22", I'm just mustering the strength to cut that damn cover plate off the receiver and drop a RSA trigger into it. Ya know, if we lived closer we might just be shootin' buddies ^_^ Great looking guns man. :up: