New Saiga- question

Bunch of questions.

First: Is there a wiki that already has all this info. I'm sure its all been answered a bajillion times

2nd: When I do a conversion- is this site still the preferred method?

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

3rd: Where's a good place to get accessories- like FCGs, furniture, sling, scopes/optics, etc.

4th: Are there any known issues with these guns (22" 308 synthetic) that I should address NOW?

Thats just the beginning, I'm sure.

Thanks,

J

the .308 is actually the easiest conversion, since there are no extra holes for the sporter trigger.

just follow what's on cross-conn and ignore the part about the 2 extra holes.

look around the marketplace here for BattleRifleG3's furniture, if you're into wood, he does some nice looking stuff.

the only issue i can think of with the .308 is that you have to somewhat modify the tapco hammer, if you use that in your conversion. it's not so bad if you just try to copy the shape of the factory hammer.

good luck, and enjoy your .308 !

i love mine!

oh... and remember your compliance parts!

Bunch of questions.

First: Is there a wiki that already has all this info. I'm sure its all been answered a bajillion times

2nd: When I do a conversion- is this site still the preferred method?

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

3rd: Where's a good place to get accessories- like FCGs, furniture, sling, scopes/optics, etc.

4th: Are there any known issues with these guns (22" 308 synthetic) that I should address NOW?

Thats just the beginning, I'm sure.

Thanks,

J

One important thing to remember also is that there is no need to install a bullet guide. The reason being that you will only use the actual Saiga type mags or FBMG .308 mags.

Modifying the G2 Tapco trigger is easy. I used a cutting wheel and a dremel and simply cut off the excess notch to make it fit. Several others will probably recomend using an RSA trigger as well. I have not fealt the need to do this yet. Especially considering that a G2 trigger is almost 3x less expensive. But I have heard great things about the RSA adjustable .308 fcg's.

Yeah, the 308 is pretty straight forward.

The RSA FCG is the way to go for accuracy, but for dumping ammo, the G2 is just fine.

Neither is a perfect drop in, but little work is required. With the RSA, get the 308 model I believe it is.

I just mentoined some of this on the saftey thread, but my 308 disconnector spring doesn't fit in the g2 disconnector. Ordering new from K-var. (come on- it's $1.69!)

Had to file the hammer, as above, and will try replacing the saftey with a Rom. F/A part. We'll see.

I'd forgotten to order a grip screw anyway, so I might as well order parts.

I've got a 7.62x39 to do as well, so that one might get the ATI fixed stock, and maybe the g2 trigger, while this one gets the RSA.

Yes, the RSA is a VEPR 308 version...

1- why don't I need a bullet guide? Are they integrated on the magazines?

2- where can I find RSA and G2 fcg's on the web?

#1 - Integrated in the mag and the chamber is beveled.

#2 - RSA - http://www.redstararms.com/ (The got some hot chicky babes on there!)

G2 - http://midwestarmory.com/

Blackjack Buffers I got my RSA Vepr 308 FCG for $84 there, and KVAR has a good FCG from Arsenal USA that I used in my .223 for about $40. Kvar also has some nice looking compliant furniture too.

10-14-06.jpg

.223 Saiga

Arsenal USA FCG,

Nato length US stock

USA pistol grip

Bulgarian AK74 mags with Robarm followers

missing rear sight awaiting installation of Scout Scope mount

pansy patterned sheet/comforter set 300 thread count

Edited by Havoc308
Here's another quick question:

Are there any differences between 7.62 NATO and 308? Are there some ammo brands that I should stay away from?

Thanks,

J

Technically there are some subtle differences between the two. One is 7.62x51 and the other .308. Have been told you can use them interchangeably in modern firearms. Some of the imported stuff can be of questionable quality, like the Indian and Pakistani stuff, but have read varying opinions on these. The Saiga .308 receiver is marked specifically that both types of ammo can be used in this gun.

Saiga's eat most anything. There is a difference in the thickness/hardness and max pressure of 7.62-51 and .308. Mainly an issue ONLY with weaker milsurp conversions, and worn military chambers. The Saiga is OK for either. As to crappy ammo- stay away from the older Indian stuff-if the price is TOO cheap, there is a reason for it.It has beeen reported that the propellent in the Indian stuff is a random selection of ball, stick, flake, and sometimes -sand. Also they are sealed with bituminum and can leave tar in the chamber.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Dec 9 2006, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saiga's eat most anything. There is a difference in the thickness/hardness and max pressure of 7.62-51 and .308. Mainly an issue ONLY with weaker milsurp conversions, and worn military chambers. The Saiga is OK for either. As to crappy ammo- stay away from the older Indian stuff-if the price is TOO cheap, there is a reason for it.It has beeen reported that the propellent in the Indian stuff is a random selection of ball, stick, flake, and sometimes -sand. Also they are sealed with bituminum and can leave tar in the chamber.

whats that piece in your avatar? Is that a 308 with an underfolder?

J

The avitar is the wife's S-.410 and She LOVES it!. I wouldn't do an underfolder on a .308, there is too much recoil. I am shure that the underfolder would have a short life on the .308- the .410 has almost no recoil compared to the .308.