Do the newer Saigas need a bullet guide?

I have one of the newer Saigas in 7.62x39 w/ a flat trunnion. I noticed that the factory mag didn't have a little ball at the front as others I have heard discussed here. So I decided to try hand cycling ammo from a Hi-cap magazine.

Lo and behold, it cycled w/ out any problems!!! Fancy that. . .

Now, my question is, will I be disappointed when I get it to the range to test it? Or, since it cycles manually fine, I should be good to go?

All comments greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this from the dead but I cant seem to find an answer to this question as I found the same except I have a round trunnion. Maybe I missed the bus here but I keep getting told to do searches and come up with 16 pages or half or non related stuff. IMO aint nothing wrong with asking a qestion. Espicially in a situation like that. Now I have done a few searches that answered my questions but some of them were not. Might be a good idea to post up a FAQ as a sticky??

My Saiga .223 was the same way. It worked perfectly out of the box, so no magazine modding and it chambered perfectly every time without a bullet guide. Despite all of this I installed one anyway and it still worked perfectly, but now I have the peace of mind that IF something starts happening I know it won't be because of a lack of a bullet guide.

Good info about the weld on the mags. I guess what I really want to know is why is the bullet guide needed if it seems that it works without one? I am sure there is a reason maybe a misfeed every so many rounds or something? I am going to the range tomorrow and I would like to shoot 2 30 round mags with 20 rounds in each and see how it functions. I got to zero in my reflex sight anyway. I will report back.

Good info about the weld on the mags. I guess what I really want to know is why is the bullet guide needed if it seems that it works without one? I am sure there is a reason maybe a misfeed every so many rounds or something? I am going to the range tomorrow and I would like to shoot 2 30 round mags with 20 rounds in each and see how it functions. I got to zero in my reflex sight anyway. I will report back.

Blew through the rounds with no issues. Not one stoppage or misfeed. I did notice that the rounds expended from the 30 rd clips did have a small dent about half way down on the casing. Very small dent I can get pictures if you all are interested. So far it seems that a bullet guide is only needed if you dont want slightly dented casings.

That dent should be the "AK dent". It's from the case hitting the charging handle on it's way out.

Acer

Oh...damn my bad. I did not know about that, this was my first time fireing the thing so I assumed that dent was from that. Sorry guys, so I guess there is no downfall that I could find so far. Thanks for that bit of info acer! :super:

I just got done modding a few mags. Had a local weld shop throw down a tig weld in front the front of each mag. Just got done filing them and I'll let you know how they function. Not bad for 15 a mag and 10 for all three to get welded.

Good luck,

Merritt

This is what I had done to a few magazines and they work flawlessly like the factory mags. I later added a feed ramp which allowed for both Saiga and AK magazines. It fed well for a while but now I have some jams with the plastic magazines. I used a Yugo mag and it fed well and left the bolt open after the last shot. It's too bad the Saiga BHO doesn't lock from the Yugo follower after the last shot.