brand new 7.62x39- safety does not work at all.

it looks like the secondary disconnector doesn't touch the hammer at any point. like it's locked down. i'm wondering if the russians forgot a spring.

there's not much i can do without taking the whole damn thing apart (drilling out the rivets) is there?

i'm wondering if i should just buy a new trigger group and pistol grip and just proceed with the conversion. the gun shop i bought it from is a bit of a drive from here.

seems like i can still take it out and try it. just have to be super careful and not rely on the trigger/safety to keep it from firing.

it looks like the secondary disconnector doesn't touch the hammer at any point. like it's locked down. i'm wondering if the russians forgot a spring.

there's not much i can do without taking the whole damn thing apart (drilling out the rivets) is there?

i'm wondering if i should just buy a new trigger group and pistol grip and just proceed with the conversion. the gun shop i bought it from is a bit of a drive from here.

seems like i can still take it out and try it. just have to be super careful and not rely on the trigger/safety to keep it from firing.

If it were my weapon, I would call or e-mail RAAC and let them address the problem. After all it is a new weapon. I know that they do not want an unsatisified customer. My reply is based on your comment that it is a new rifle.

If it were my weapon, I would call or e-mail RAAC and let them address the problem. After all it is a new weapon. I know that they do not want an unsatisified customer. My reply is based on your comment that it is a new rifle.

Amen, Leave the warranty work to the warrantor.

Can you take a picture of the insides... I would like to see what is or isnt in there... Thats WEIRD!!!

:smoke:

i'll try to get a pic sometime soon. just got a digi cam. my old lady is visiting me though, and she's already tired of me fiddling with my scary new gun :devil:

is it worth having the dealer take a look? they deal with a lot of surplus stuff, but i've really got no experience with their gun smithing. it seems to me like one spring or something is in the wrong place or missing.

those trigger axle pins are one time use right? no easy way to reuse them?

Those tools WILL DO THE JOB... I just did a conversion yesterday with the dremel and a hand drill... came out beautiful... check the .223 section for pics and info...

the X39 is identical in conversion to the 223. ( So is the 410 and the 20 gauge, too...)

so there's no chance that the reciever is effed up or something?

There is always a chance I guess. If the receiver was defective and you did a conversion on it, then surely you will have voided any warranty you have on it and be stuck with a whatever you are left with.

I doubt that is what the problem is, but let's try to be more sure:

In your first post, you said the disconnector isn't touching the hammer at any point? That doesn't make sense to me. The disconnector catches the hammer and prevents it from following the bolt back down and possibly causing a slamfire. Is this the disconnector you are referring to?

If you mean that the safety, when rotated to the safe position isn't contacting with the trigger and the trigger still has too much "play in it" and the rifle will still fire.........then yes, i think it is an issue with the "sporter" fcg. Doing a conversion will most likely fix your problem.

BE ADVISED however that I had a "safety" issue with my TAPCO G2 trigger. After installing it on my rifle, my safety did not contact correctly with the trigger....thus too much play and no safety. A friend of mine from these forums had the same problem with his Saiga conversion. He purchased a new Safety lever from K-Var and it lined up perfectly and fixed his problem. I have no doubt this will fix my problem as well.

Could be your safety isn't long enough. Can you tell a difference in trigger pull when you put the safety on?

Best idea is to post some close up pics for Indy to see, he's the expert.

ok... got some pics finally.

i think i understand what that secondary disconnect it supposed to do. bad news is that, as far as i can tell, mine doesn't work right. if i pull the trigger, hold it down, manually cycle the bolt, then release the trigger the hammer falls again. seems like this will result in 2 shots per trigger pull.

i think vermiform is right about my safety being too short as well.

post-4666-1167668784_thumb.jpg

post-4666-1167668796_thumb.jpg

here's pics of both sides of the reciever. i dunno if indyarms will be able to tell if it's screwed up.. but here it is.

i got a set of vernier calipers, i could measure out some holes (maybe safety hole to the top of the reciever) my safety comes out without removing the trigger pins btw. :unsure:

post-4666-1167668861_thumb.jpg

post-4666-1167668871_thumb.jpg

From the pictures...

Everything LOOKS right... I mean nothing looks to be too big or too small, or out of alignment or out of whack...

The safety is properly located on the receiver, and from the inside pic... it looks like it SHOULD be contacting the disconnector.

I notice you also have the little overtravel stop on the assembly as well...

So... PM sent... we will talk more... :up: We will get ya straightened out!! No worries, Mate!

WTF would you want to hold the trigger back when cycling the bolt anyway? :unsure:

Just because a firearm design has safety features built into it doesn't mean you have to go out and test them, that's how people end up getting ID's at the range. :ded:

And that's why firearm manufactures have to go thru dumb shit like the California drop tests before they can sell their wares in this country. :angry:

WTF would you want to hold the trigger back when cycling the bolt anyway? :unsure:

Just because a firearm design has safety features built into it doesn't mean you have to go out and test them, that's how people end up getting ID's at the range. :ded:

And that's why firearm manufactures have to go thru dumb shit like the California drop tests before they can sell their wares in this country. :angry:

I hope you are not being serious with your above post?

I hold the trigger while cycling the bolt, all the time. I do this as a function check, to see if the FCG works as it should. I test the built in safety features. This of course is done without magazine or ammo present. Would'nt want to get to the range and have a runaway unregistered machine gun now would we?

how fast do you get your finger off the trigger after firing a shot? the bolt cycles quick.

anywho just as an update, Indyarms is sending me a fire control group he had laying around from a conversion. so i'm gonna try that out before i do the PCG to make sure this gun isn't a total lemon. :super:

I make sure I never go shooting with you.

I hold the trigger while cycling the bolt, all the time. I do this as a function check, to see if the FCG works as it should. I test the built in safety features. This of course is done without magazine or ammo present. Would'nt want to get to the range and have a runaway unregistered machine gun now would we?

Okay, maybe I'm AK stupid (and maybe I could have worded my above statement better). I assume holding the trigger back while cycling the bolt is a FCG safety check that I am not aware of :unsure: . For some reason I misunderstood that you were doing it at the range all of the time while having live ammo in the weapon too. :eek:

And if I was in the wrong in complaining about this, I'm sorry. I was raised in an atmosphere that if any of the old timers caught you dicking around with the trigger (or weapon) in general if not actually engaged in the act of shooting at something, there would have been holy hell freaking to pay with them. :angry: Maybe it's callous for me to admit this, but I would much rather have someone shot by me due to unintentional failure of the FCG as opposed to shooting someone (intentionally?, since there are truly few actual AD's happening out there as opposed to ID's by dipshit firearms owners not wanting to own up to the fact they fucked up with handling the weapon incorrectly somehow. :unsure: ) as opposed to dicking around with the weapon/trigger. :ded:

Besides, (from what I gather reading the replies directed at me), if the FCG fails on you with the first shot, you'll know soon enough. Which brings us to another one of the firearms safety rules -- muzzle discipline. :killer:

Okay, maybe I'm AK stupid (and maybe I could have worded my above statement better). I assume holding the trigger back while cycling the bolt is a FCG safety check that I am not aware of :unsure: . For some reason I misunderstood that you were doing it at the range all of the time while having live ammo in the weapon too. :eek:

And if I was in the wrong in complaining about this, I'm sorry. I was raised in an atmosphere that if any of the old timers caught you dicking around with the trigger (or weapon) in general if not actually engaged in the act of shooting at something, there would have been holy hell freaking to pay with them. :angry: Maybe it's callous for me to admit this, but I would much rather have someone shot by me due to unintentional failure of the FCG as opposed to shooting someone (intentionally?, since there are truly few actual AD's happening out there as opposed to ID's by dipshit firearms owners not wanting to own up to the fact they fucked up with handling the weapon incorrectly somehow. :unsure: ) as opposed to dicking around with the weapon/trigger. :ded:

Besides, (from what I gather reading the replies directed at me), if the FCG fails on you with the first shot, you'll know soon enough. Which brings us to another one of the firearms safety rules -- muzzle discipline. :killer:

there's "dicking around with the trigger" and there's function control checks. i check twice to makesure it's unloaded for a function control check, then point it in a safe direction before pulling the trigger. worst case scenario (if a round somehow slipped in) would be partial deafness for me and some floor damage :unsure:

in this case it's very lucky i checked everything before taking the gun out to shoot, cause it had some serious issues.

btw- i took it back to the shop, and they actually had another in the back. exchanged it for me no problem :blues:

indyarms.. i'll find some use for those fire control parts you sent me.

Ok... but I doubt it... as they are specific to a NON-CONVERTED Saiga... I suppose you could WELD a trigger to the bottom of the rocker peice and use it as a FCG... but it would still be foreign... and not count towards USA made parts and 922R compliance. LOL

no worries... it didnt cost me anything... if ya can or cant use them... hang onto them... ya never know... :up:

Cool at list you got a new gun and your problems are gone.

yeah i'm stoked.

i think i have all my conversion parts picked out:

NATO length buttstock from K-var

FAL style pistol grip,

RSA trigger

Microclick sight all from Red Star Arms.

and of course the dinzag bullet guide and some 30 round AK mags.