tubular stock on saiga12

Does anyone know how well made the Tapco tubular stock is? It says its all plastic...er I mean polymer. I'm pretty sure that the Galil stock it's patterned after was made from metal tubing. I could see it being plenty strong enough for the recoil of 7.62X39, but what about 12g?

Anyone notice the Galil style forearm in the picture on tapco's site? It's kinda neat, but I don't see it anywhere on the site for sale though... :unsure:

here's the picture BTW...

post-2-1090838078.gif

New Galil folding stocks like on the micro Galil's are polymer. There are obvious reasons for this since it would help in reducing the wieght, but recoil absorption or durability under stress has never come up as a complaint by field operators in the armys that use and field the new Galil stock on their Galil's.

So, is Tapco's design a true copy or just a cheap unreliable knock-off, I dont know?

But I just wanted to inform you of current Galil configurations and maybe help you understand that there is nothing bad about new polymers in current battle weapons of many designs, Galil, H&K, Armalite or Colt.

I have trust in H&K and others when it comes to polymer But both my USP and SL8 have steel supports structures in them. My SL8 has even developed a small crack due to the stupid missing lug they put on the bolt to keep you from using double stack mags. So, polymer isn't flawless.

It's nice to know that the Galil makes use of polymers in the stock, because it adds a little more legitimacy to tapco's product. But, you said micro galil, does that mean that they only use polymer on a smaller caliber rifle? If it was made to withstand the forces of .308 recoil, I would think it could handle the even greater force of 12g fairly well. But, if it's just for .223, I could see it possibly cracking.

I really like my FAL style grip on my AK that I got from Tapco. If it's a sturdy and well made as that, then I'm sure it'll be a great stock. Though, I wish I could get one that was more the folder on the real Saiga 12...

Well HK is not flawless! My buddy had an SL-8, and I mean had! The same crack thing happened to him and tome it seemed to be a major design flaw. If they would have relocated the seam, then there would have been strength to endure the stress. For crying out-loud for the price of the SL-8 they could of done something a little bit different. In fact another buddy has a AR-180b there practically internally identical operating systems, both incorporating the tippet gas system and it only cost him retail $600.

The micro-Galil is chambered in 223/556 nato and 7.62x39 also it has a lot more felt recoil than the standard ARM Galil, mainly because the barrel is so short and ways so much less. Also they have been putting the new Polymer folder on short .308's too. Heck to think of it there are .50 cal AR-15 uppers now and it sits on top of a alluminuim lower with a very weak plastic stock. The only thing holding an AR-15 stock on is one little screw and a small notch of plastic. If they are able to shoot the .50 upper on that set-up well I just don't think a well made polymer folder is going to break under stress from firing 7.62x39.

I hope you understand that most things today are going polymer and polymer meets most of the demands for lighter stronger weapons.

two cents here....in a battlefield weapon, I THOUGHT, (yes, im thinking again), that a primary trait for it is that it must be able to bash someone's head in? if it can stand up to the recoil, does that mean it can take an adrenaline-rush-fervor of crazy clobbering? maybe, who knows? surely not I. All I know is I had a mishap with my AR when i had it open for cleaning, and it fell about ten feet onto concrete OPEN. Im glad the reciver isnt a polymer, as that one little reciver pin that was holding it together would have DEFINATELY broke. just want to rub it in that I paid 80 bucks for my AR. ; ) and its worth EVERY penny.

I like my Tapco polymer stock. True it is not as nice looking as a true "tube" stock from Ace....

damn I just looked at the ACE website and their tube stock only costs like $20 more than the Tapco stock. I wonder if that INCLUDES the mounting block ??

I might move up to the ACE stock later but for now the Tapco stock works great. Locks up tight and no play at all.

USMC_LB

ACE tube stocks are not worth the money, about $100 over priced.

I had one and it was cheaply made. The plastic buttpad broke, so I had a machine shop weld up a piece of metal to the end where the butt pad had been and put a piece of rubber there by set screws, $35. Then the plastic reciever mount broke apart and I had a alluminium block cut and fit to size in it's place, $25. While they where at it I had them strengthen all the factory ACE welds and the folding mechanism, $10. I spent $125 plus $10 shipping and another $70 to fix it so it would hold up under the strain of field use. That's nearly $200 for a folder.

I think at the time ACE was the only US folder around at the time and a Galil or FAL folder, which are solid metal and allumnium folding stocks that the ACE is a copy of where running about $200. So you get what you pay for I guess.

Don't buy ACE!

P.S. there pistol grips crack and brake too and are not worth it either.

Well, the crack on the SL8-1 is a Clinton-ised design flaw. It happens because they radius the front portion of one of the locking lugs so you cannot pick up rounds off of a double stack mag. Never mind the fact that you have to cut your magwell to fit a double stack in to begin with... or find a g36 mag. (I did once, at a gun show) The G36 Battlerifle went through a lot of testing, but they fucked it up enough for the SL8, so we don't get any of the benefits of that testing and R&D. I bought my SL8 as my second firearm, because I thought it was "Pimp". Well, I've grown a little and now I'm keeping it for a completely different reason. It's a unique example of what happened because of the assault weapons ban and importation laws. Maybe someday it'll be collectable. If it isn't... oh well.

My favorite semi-auto firearm is my AR and it is the most accurate. Even with it's 16" barrel, I get a group within 5" at 200yds with the occasional flyer. I get these kind of results no matter what ammo I shoot even wolf, so I think it's probably more accurate and I'm just a crappy shooter.

Bvamp, where the hell did you get a $80 AR?!?! The person you bought it from must have been a real idiot, or really nice, or both! :eek: Who's the manufacturer? If I could find an $80 AR, I'd buy it in an instant! Even if it looked like it was run over by a truck. :)

Maybe the best thing for me would be to get my dad to make me a folder. I know that in the Saiga 12 images gallery, the spetsnaz version has a Krinkov type side folder. I know I could get my dad to make one out of aluminum.... except maybe the locking parts... He always wants to oversimplify shit.