Saiga 12ga Picatinny Rail Forend

Hey hey :)

Just picked up a rail last week from Gilbertsguns.... fast shipping I might add (like next day....then again, Im up near Cincinnati. Still not bad for $60.26 total)

Perfect fit too.

I got this 2nd one while waiting on my Tromix (figured, why not :) ). The rail is solid...so it might migrate to that once it gets here though.

And yes, other options are on the way to mount on there.

Edited by whatmanual

Considering mine says "made in Russia", it came from there somewhere along the way.

I don't mind the small extra price for closer distributors on products like this.

Its the 100++ I see for 10 rounders on ebay that bother me (knowing you "can" get them for 50-65 if you wait).

Considering mine says "made in Russia", it came from there somewhere along the way.

I don't mind the small extra price for closer distributors on products like this.

Its the 100++ I see for 10 rounders on ebay that bother me (knowing you "can" get them for 50-65 if you wait).

You misunderstood him. They were only available here from overseas sources because RAA was not importing them at the time.

How do you go about removing the forend on a S12 anyway?Also,how does it feel when you shoot with it on?Looks like it really cuts down on grip area and that maybe the rail would smack your hand when fired?

THE_HUNTER, funny you should ask that (concerning, "how does it feel..."). Although I have no personal knowledge or experience regarding how the Saiga Tactical Forend is installed on your gun (I'm still in the waiting process to receive my Saiga shotgun from TROMIX... my first), both Dinzag and Cobra 76 two insured me it is a very simple procedure. Having recently received one of these Tactical Forends with integrated picatinny rail in the mail, I can see that it would be: all that apparently needs to be done is to unscrew the foreward sling swivel mount part from the existing Saiga forend, and the sucker readily unsnaps/pulls out. In other words, from what I can tell the only thing that "fastens" the Saiga forend in place; onto the barrel is the swivel mount screw. Comprende Amigo.

Anyway (getting back to that portion of your question that I would like to repond to), I personally wasn't happy with how long the integrated rail was, on this aftermarket forend; I want to be able to achieve a comfortable grasp on the forend without having to grasp around the rear portion of the rail. I should clarify: All I want is to be able to mount a flashlight and laser on the forward most portion of the rail system, and not a vertical grip... which in my opinion, is why the integrated picatinny rail is so long on this tactical forend; to allow a mounting location for a vertical grip.

When coordinating with Cobra 76 two about how this rail system "feels" in the hand, since he owns several of these handguard forends, he replied, "You get used to it." Well.... I don't want to get used to it... I wanted, what I want! :D So I'm forwarding the Tactical Forend to Tony Rumore with the request of having the rear portion of the integrated rail cut/grinded off, so that I can have a normal comfortable grasp.

By the way, in the event you are not aware, the picatinny rail is NOT made out of metal. It is comprised of the same polymer-type plastic material as the rest of the handguard. I was rather dumbstruck to learn of this, it took Cobra 76 two to explain (with photos to me). So, when Tony cuts or grinds away that portion of the rail, what will be left behind is a narrow hole or channel.... because the picatinny rail is somewhat hollow inside. Mind you, in my opinion (and others') this is an extraodinarily robust and strong polymer-type plastic, Cobra 76 two conveyed to me he even believes it may be made from some polymer that is harder/stronger than the stock Saiga handguard forend. Personally, I wouldn't know. I've received varying opinions regarding whether I should leave this hole that will be left behind, the way it is or to fill it in with an epoxy. Originally I was rather firm on the notion of filling it in, but now I'm going to wait until the gun comes back from TROMIX with the tactical forend attached... to make that determination.

So, I've conveyed all of the above because.... I perceived from your question(s) that you might be interested in what I am having done to my tactical forend, due to my not wanting to settle for something less than what I want!

The attached two photos show the Tactical Forend I am sending to Tony, and how much of the picatinny rail I want cut/removed. This is an old photo, in that after I received the gun laser mount assembly as well as mounting the gun light that I want, I mounted them to the rail and discovered I was requesting to have a tad-bit too much of the railing removed. (Good thing I checked first!).

Hope all the bologna I wrote above will prove to be of assistance to you with your decision making. I can be... rather long-winded at times.

~Gary

post-4853-1171144185_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1171144219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
You misunderstood him. They were only available here from overseas sources because RAA was not importing them at the time.

I understand :)

As for the comfort. I have that folding grip up front and its very solid comfort in either position.

Without the grip it still feels solid in my hands. If I wasnt going with the verticle grip then I like Gary's idea as well.

Edited by whatmanual

Thanks for the info amigo.I think I will save $50 and not get the forend. I only wanted it too mostly for a flashlight mount,which I already have 2 shotgun mount systems for just that.The vertical grip I would be afraid would not last under harsh recoil on a synthetic rail so I probably would never use it.My thought for now until a minute from now.... :cryss:

Thanks for the info amigo.I think I will save $50 and not get the forend. I only wanted it too mostly for a flashlight mount,which I already have 2 shotgun mount systems for just that.The vertical grip I would be afraid would not last under harsh recoil on a synthetic rail so I probably would never use it.My thought for now until a minute from now.... :cryss:

Hey, if all you are really interested in doing is finding some sort of picatinny rail to mount a flashlight on your shotgun, might I suggest the below product? (see pic below) I purchased one of these from Cheaper Than Dirt... only to discover a few days later that the aftermarket Saiga Tactical Forend would in fact fit my Saiga-20 shotgun (and not just the Saiga-12). The below universal shotgun mount fits both 12ga and 20ga guns, and runs for just over $21.00 for a five-slot version, and $19.97 for a three-slot (which is the one depicted in the photo below).

Just a suggestion. Good luck to you!

~Gary

post-4853-1171151393_thumb.jpg

Pretty slick!I do already have 2 tac light barrel mounts though.I was thinking about a more streamlined approach when I saw the forend deal.I have my home defense S12 with a barrel light mount on about 10 feet from me as I write this.More toys,always looking for the next better thing.....need to save money though,like that will happen! :lolol:

I love my rail...I would never shoot it without a vertical grip of some sort or without atleast some rail covers. As with any gun, but especially shotguns, a bare rail would be very uncomfortable. Until these rail came out I simply mounted my own underneath which worked pretty well, but when the factory forearm came out, I knew I had to have it since it would surely withstand anything I could do to it. To each his own...