What ammo will Saiga 12s cycle reliably?

I plan on getting a Saiga 12 with the next 2 weeks but I need to know if they will cycle light target loads or if they'll only cycle full power loads. I've had a Benelli M2 Tactical in the past and it cycled any ammo that I gave it, will the Saiga do the same? When target practicing I usually shoot Wincheter AA target loads.

Use Winchester AA Super Sport or Super Handicap. $4.50 a box at Academy Sports. That is my #1 recomendation for cheap shells.

Many other loads work as well.

The #1 shell to avoid is the Winchester Universal. Save yourself some grief and pass on that.

Since we're on the topic...

I read in another post that somebody had problems with Wolf buckshot cycling their S12. Is this a known issue, or possibly the gas setting was wrong?

I plan on getting a Saiga 12 with the next 2 weeks but I need to know if they will cycle light target loads or if they'll only cycle full power loads. I've had a Benelli M2 Tactical in the past and it cycled any ammo that I gave it, will the Saiga do the same? When target practicing I usually shoot Wincheter AA target loads.

The Siaga is not like any other any other semiautomatic shotgun. The only thing I have found that my S-12 does not cycle is the cheap Walmart Winchester economy pack. I think some of those are under loaded. Use setting "2" for light loads and setting "1" for higher power loads although mine will light loads on both settings.

Or what about the Nobel buckshot? It's pretty cheap.

I've put around 140 rounds of Nobel and it cycled flawlessly in my S-12. I've also run about 400rounds of the wally world winchester packs and 3/15 of them wont cycle worth a damn, that crappy ammo make my beautiful Saiga look bad.

I've put around 140 rounds of Nobel and it cycled flawlessly in my S-12. I've also run about 400rounds of the wally world winchester packs and 3/15 of them wont cycle worth a damn, that crappy ammo make my beautiful Saiga look bad.

Thanks, any slug recommendations?

Wolf if you can find them. Low recoil, vey accurate, consistent cycler, cheap as dirt (relatively slug spoken). The estate cartridge slugs from sportsmans guide seem to run pretty well too. A bit more pounding than the wolf, but I have about 500 down the barrel and no issues. Up to nearly 1000 of the Wolf and not one deform shell or issues with a one of them (unlike their 223 and 762x39 which I plan about 1-2 per 1000 rounds to have a dud primer or bent case or rim.

I like the Remington 3" slugger's; I can hit a buzzard at 75 yards with them. Wolf slugs are nice too; less recoil and they are cheap if you can find them.

Only deforms I've had or problems "feeding" have dealt with Winchester shells (regardless).

The overall performance though is 90% reliable in my opinion for 00 buck, 4 shot, or slugs. Its just the deforming of the shell against the bolt is more common....and when "rapid" firing the 2 3/4 shells they dont always find the chamber.

Personally, I think winchester is light on their powder and it affects a good "cycle"...but they are cheap.

Remmington Sluggers are absolutely no issues at all. Remmington 4 shot express rounds are no issues at all either (on 1 setting for all of this I might add).

Federal 00 buck. Decent... more for reliability on what you have for home. Certainly not something to consistently buy for the range.

Given a preference. Type of shot for shot... I prefer the Remmingtons. Solid company =and dropped that anti-gun tard in a heartbeat. That's worth a few extra boxes from me in my book.

Keep in mind, and has been stated before -your gun will be different until it breaks in. Best advice...buy a few different rounds.

Oh...and sabots. Save your money. Slugs will be just as effective (or better) through your un-rifled cylinder bore. Don't bother with sabots. You want more range? Get an RPK or something.

~S

I bought a couple boxes of that SuperHandicap today at Dicks....btw it was about $7/box. I dont have a Academy around here. Anyone have any other suggestions? FYI, my wife got a huge kick out of that name, like I am that bad at clays or something.

BTW, it was cold as hell Saturday at the skeet shoot.....blowing wind & snowing like all hell....as always a great time though.

Edited by Bullethose
I bought a couple boxes of that SuperHandicap today at Dicks. My wife got a huge kick out of that name, like I am that bad at clays or something.

BTW, it was cold as hell Saturday at the skeet shoot.....blowing wind & snowing like all hell....as always a great time though.

What's the difference betwen Superhandicap and Super Sport? best I can tell is SH is a few fps slower?