YET ANOTHER ZUMBO LIKE DUMBO OUTDOORS WRITER

Just when I thought there could not be a less knowledgeable outdoors writer than Jim Zumbo, I was shocked by a column here in our local newspaper in Eugene, Oregon by the Outdoor Editors for it: Mike Stahlberg.

Not only does Mike say a number of inaccurate things about AR-15's and AK-47's, but he even takes a pot shot at the NRA and its members, by referring to "NRA Types". I guess he thinks that only a certain "type" of person belongs to the NRA, and that they are responsible for Jim Zumbo's demise. He talks about the ""ubiquitous" AK-47 being fully automatic. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that owns a fully auto AK. His comments give a false impression that there are fully automatic AK's everywhere in our society, which I am sure the anti-gun crowd is going to love him for.

He even comments that praire dogs roam Eastern Oregon, which is absolutely false. It shows what a total ack of knowledge he even has about varmint hunting, let along semi-auto rifles.

Anyway, please feel forward this post to other boards. I use hotmail.com for email, and many popular boards like Ted Nugent and AR15.com will not allow me to register there so I can post. And I would like to see this forwarded on to as many forums on the Internet as possible.

The article can be read online here:

Mike Stahlberg on the use of "Terrorist Rifles" for hunting in Oregon

And here below is the text. Please feel free to Email Mr. Stahlberg at his email address at the end of it, and let him know what NRA "types" are really like.

==============================================

Zumbo's story overstates use of military-style weapons in wild

By Mike Stahlberg

The Register-Guard

Published: Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The musings of hunting and fishing writers seldom make the front pages of America's newspapers. A rare exception occurred when comments by Jim Zumbo - an icon among hunting writers - recently became national news. The most interesting part of the story was how quickly and completely Zumbo's magazine, TV program, long-term sponsors - and some of his "friends" - abandoned him because of a couple of paragraphs he posted on his Internet "blog" site.

Zumbo criticized the use of military-style "assault" rifles by hunters. He said the use of such "terrorist rifles" is bad for the image of hunters and that "state game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods.

"We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern," Zumbo wrote.

His comments generated a firestorm of criticism from military-style gun owners and from National Rifle Association types who accused him of giving comfort to the anti-gun crowd. The Internet soon hummed with talk of boycotting products associated with "Jim Dumbo." Faster than a speeding bullet, Zumbo found himself without his hunting editor job at Outdoor Life, without his TV program and without sponsors.

I'm not going to rehash the debate over whether Zumbo's comments undermined the Second Amendment to the Constitution, or whether the so-called "black rifles," most of which are small caliber (.223), are suitable weapons for hunting. There's plenty of that talk still ricocheting around on the Web, if you're inclined to wade through it.

I'm more interested in the underlying story behind Zumbo's comments about the use of "military-style" rifles by hunters, and in the false impression the controversy may have created in the minds non-hunters. Many hikers, mountain bikers, etc., are already unduly afraid of being shot if they so much as step into the woods during hunting season.

And reading about the Jim Zumbo controversy may have given such folks the impression that some hunters are now carrying sub-machine guns while hunting deer and elk, and that the woods will soon echo with the rat-a-tat-tat of automatic weapons fire rather than that of woodpeckers hunting for dinner. Wrong on both counts.

Oregon law prohibits the use of fully-automatic firearms while hunting game animals. (Fully automatic weapons fire multiple shots with one pull of the trigger and continue to fire as long as the trigger is depressed. The ubiquitous AK-47 is capable of fully automatic fire. It can also be used in "semi-automatic" mode. A

semiautomatic weapon fires one bullet - and automatically reloads the firing chamber - each time the trigger is pulled.) Oregon does allow hunters to use semi-automatic firearms, as long as they have a magazine capacity no greater than five cartridges.

Oregon State Police Sgt. Tom Hulett, who supervises fish and game law enforcement in the south Willamette area, says he's been checking hunters for 30 years and has yet to come across a fully automatic weapon in the woods. "I did catch a guy hunting deer out of season one time with an SKS" (a semiautomatic military carbine with which a 10-round clip is standard)," Hulett said. "He was even using full-metal-jacket bullets."

Under Oregon law, a person with the proper licenses and permits may use an assault-style weapon with large capacity magazine to hunt non-game animals - such as coyotes, jackrabbits and "sage rats." (It was the reported use of such weapons on coyotes and prairie dogs that prompted Zumbo's Internet outburst.)

In Oregon, the most-likely location for such hunting would be the High Desert country east of the Cascades, where jackrabbits, coyotes and prairie dogs roam. "We really don't run into that many people with high-capacity AR-15s" or other military-style rifles, said Sgt. Dave Pond of the Oregon State Police office in Bend. And the few hunters game troopers have observed shooting high-capacity weapons have generally been squeezing off a single round at a time rather than "spraying" bullets.

In other words, hunting with "terrorist rifles" doesn't appear to be much of a story in Oregon.

No doubt Jim Zumbo wishes it had never become a national story.

Mike Stahlberg can be reached at: mstahlberg@guardnet.com

Thanks for posting that.....kinda interesting...

Seems to me that he was attempting to set the record straight and ease some liberal concerns through encouraging open discussion, but in the process got a few things wrong - one of which damages the rep of the AK......the other is questioning small caliber bullets for hunting (what does he want us to use 30-06 for prairie-dogs?....why not a 45-70?)

The Zumbo thing is just like the Dixie Chicks....you are free to say whateve you like in this country, but we are free to not buy your product or boycott you as we see fit after you open your mouth.....thats the price we pay for speaking our minds sometimes....

Seems to me that he was attempting to set the record straight and ease some liberal concerns through encouraging open discussion, but in the process got a few things wrong - one of which damages the rep of the AK......the other is questioning small caliber bullets for hunting (what does he want us to use 30-06 for prairie-dogs?....why not a 45-70?)

LOL! Prairie dogs. My bro lived in CO and they were all over the place. He called them SERT's. Self Erecting Rifle Targets.

Just when I thought there could not be a less knowledgeable outdoors writer than Jim Zumbo, I was shocked by a column here in our local newspaper in Eugene, Oregon by the Outdoor Editors for it: Mike Stahlberg.

Not only does Mike say a number of inaccurate things about AR-15's and AK-47's, but he even takes a pot shot at the NRA and its members, by referring to "NRA Types". I guess he thinks that only a certain "type" of person belongs to the NRA, and that they are responsible for Jim Zumbo's demise. He talks about the ""ubiquitous" AK-47 being fully automatic. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that owns a fully auto AK. His comments give a false impression that there are fully automatic AK's everywhere in our society, which I am sure the anti-gun crowd is going to love him for.

He even comments that praire dogs roam Eastern Oregon, which is absolutely false. It shows what a total ack of knowledge he even has about varmint hunting, let along semi-auto rifles.

Anyway, please feel forward this post to other boards. I use hotmail.com for email, and many popular boards like Ted Nugent and AR15.com will not allow me to register there so I can post. And I would like to see this forwarded on to as many forums on the Internet as possible.

The article can be read online here:

Mike Stahlberg on the use of "Terrorist Rifles" for hunting in Oregon

And here below is the text. Please feel free to Email Mr. Stahlberg at his email address at the end of it, and let him know what NRA "types" are really like.

==============================================

Zumbo's story overstates use of military-style weapons in wild

By Mike Stahlberg

The Register-Guard

Published: Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The musings of hunting and fishing writers seldom make the front pages of America's newspapers. A rare exception occurred when comments by Jim Zumbo - an icon among hunting writers - recently became national news. The most interesting part of the story was how quickly and completely Zumbo's magazine, TV program, long-term sponsors - and some of his "friends" - abandoned him because of a couple of paragraphs he posted on his Internet "blog" site.

Zumbo criticized the use of military-style "assault" rifles by hunters. He said the use of such "terrorist rifles" is bad for the image of hunters and that "state game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods.

"We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern," Zumbo wrote.

His comments generated a firestorm of criticism from military-style gun owners and from National Rifle Association types who accused him of giving comfort to the anti-gun crowd. The Internet soon hummed with talk of boycotting products associated with "Jim Dumbo." Faster than a speeding bullet, Zumbo found himself without his hunting editor job at Outdoor Life, without his TV program and without sponsors.

I'm not going to rehash the debate over whether Zumbo's comments undermined the Second Amendment to the Constitution, or whether the so-called "black rifles," most of which are small caliber (.223), are suitable weapons for hunting. There's plenty of that talk still ricocheting around on the Web, if you're inclined to wade through it.

I'm more interested in the underlying story behind Zumbo's comments about the use of "military-style" rifles by hunters, and in the false impression the controversy may have created in the minds non-hunters. Many hikers, mountain bikers, etc., are already unduly afraid of being shot if they so much as step into the woods during hunting season.

And reading about the Jim Zumbo controversy may have given such folks the impression that some hunters are now carrying sub-machine guns while hunting deer and elk, and that the woods will soon echo with the rat-a-tat-tat of automatic weapons fire rather than that of woodpeckers hunting for dinner. Wrong on both counts.

Oregon law prohibits the use of fully-automatic firearms while hunting game animals. (Fully automatic weapons fire multiple shots with one pull of the trigger and continue to fire as long as the trigger is depressed. The ubiquitous AK-47 is capable of fully automatic fire. It can also be used in "semi-automatic" mode. A

semiautomatic weapon fires one bullet - and automatically reloads the firing chamber - each time the trigger is pulled.) Oregon does allow hunters to use semi-automatic firearms, as long as they have a magazine capacity no greater than five cartridges.

Oregon State Police Sgt. Tom Hulett, who supervises fish and game law enforcement in the south Willamette area, says he's been checking hunters for 30 years and has yet to come across a fully automatic weapon in the woods. "I did catch a guy hunting deer out of season one time with an SKS" (a semiautomatic military carbine with which a 10-round clip is standard)," Hulett said. "He was even using full-metal-jacket bullets."

Under Oregon law, a person with the proper licenses and permits may use an assault-style weapon with large capacity magazine to hunt non-game animals - such as coyotes, jackrabbits and "sage rats." (It was the reported use of such weapons on coyotes and prairie dogs that prompted Zumbo's Internet outburst.)

In Oregon, the most-likely location for such hunting would be the High Desert country east of the Cascades, where jackrabbits, coyotes and prairie dogs roam. "We really don't run into that many people with high-capacity AR-15s" or other military-style rifles, said Sgt. Dave Pond of the Oregon State Police office in Bend. And the few hunters game troopers have observed shooting high-capacity weapons have generally been squeezing off a single round at a time rather than "spraying" bullets.

In other words, hunting with "terrorist rifles" doesn't appear to be much of a story in Oregon.

No doubt Jim Zumbo wishes it had never become a national story.

Mike Stahlberg can be reached at: mstahlberg@guardnet.com

Eugene is the deepest darkest part of the commie shithole Oregon has become. This guy's job is safe no matter how many people write in. Don't waste of your time. In fact the more of you that write in the bigger the guy's bonus will probably be. That town is home to all kinds of anarchists and leftists including the kind that started the WTO riots in Seattle. What a filthy fuckin dump.

Eugene is the deepest darkest part of the commie shithole Oregon has become. This guy's job is safe no matter how many people write in. Don't waste of your time. In fact the more of you that write in the bigger the guy's bonus will probably be. That town is home to all kinds of anarchists and leftists including the kind that started the WTO riots in Seattle. What a filthy fuckin dump.

Well this post got me out of lurk mode.

No one takes the register guard seriously around here anyhow it is commonly refered to as the register retard.

The only part of Eugene that is a "commie shithole" is downtown. Thats only because the amount of Californians and Hawaiians at the UofO, who come into the state for 4 years and then most go back to their respective states. Some unforunetly do stay though. Thankfully they are usually to lazy or too stoned to vote.

Most of the anarchists are stupid loser highschool kids/college who think they are being badasses by throwing some rocks and jumping on cars. The "anarchist riots" (they can hardly be called riots) haven't really happened since a few years ago when a few rioters jumped on this guys car downtown and started threating him and he got out his car and fucked them up with a pipe wrench.

There is still resonable gun owning, bullet spraying, animal hunters over here they just are not as easy to spot as the dirty liberal hippies.

2 maybe 3 grizzly bear sightings in Ugene and I bet the liberals join the NRA.

[/qoute]

We don't really have grizzlies in Oregon, we have black bears, and there is cougar sightings all the time in fact our cougar season is always at least 10 months.

Edited by JDthegunnut

The liberal populated counties here in maryland were against a bear hunt. UNTILL the delegates from Garrett and Allegheny (mountain co's)

proposed a compromise - round up all Maryland bears and redistribute them to each county by population!

Well this post got me out of lurk mode.

No one takes the register guard seriously around here anyhow it is commonly refered to as the register retard.

The only part of Eugene that is a "commie shithole" is downtown. Thats only because the amount of Californians and Hawaiians at the UofO, who come into the state for 4 years and then most go back to their respective states. Some unforunetly do stay though. Thankfully they are usually to lazy or too stoned to vote.

Most of the anarchists are stupid loser highschool kids/college who think they are being badasses by throwing some rocks and jumping on cars. The "anarchist riots" (they can hardly be called riots) haven't really happened since a few years ago when a few rioters jumped on this guys car downtown and started threating him and he got out his car and fucked them up with a pipe wrench.

There is still resonable gun owning, bullet spraying, animal hunters over here they just are not as easy to spot as the dirty liberal hippies.

I hate to break it to you but that state is liberal hell and they obviously do vote. All one needs to do is look at the state of the Oregon PERS and the make up of the government. Most of the Republicans are RINOs as well... Gordon Smith... nuff said.

I hate to break it to you but that state is liberal hell and they obviously do vote. All one needs to do is look at the state of the Oregon PERS and the make up of the government. Most of the Republicans are RINOs as well... Gordon Smith... nuff said.

Washington Senators

2 D

Washington Legislators

6 D

3 R

Washington State Senate

32 D

17 R

Washington State HOR

63 D

35 R

Oregon Senators

1 D 1 R

Oregon HOR

4 D 1 R

Oregon State HOR

31 D 29 R

Oregon State Senate

18 D 11 R 1 I

Looks like both of our states are screwed from where I'm sitting.

Edited by JDthegunnut

Washington Senators

2 D

Washington Legislators

6 D

3 R

Washington State Senate

32 D

17 R

Washington State HOR

63 D

35 R

Oregon Senators

1 D 1 R

Oregon HOR

4 D 1 R

Oregon State HOR

31 D 29 R

Oregon State Senate

18 D 11 R 1 I

Looks like both of our states are screwed from where I'm sitting.

Looks can be deceiving, for instance Oregon Senators 1 D and 1 R... not really Smith is a RINO. Don't get wrong, I'm not happy about the current state of affairs up here but we aren't bankrupt yet. Oregon has a problem that can't be solved without fucking all those public employees out of their retirement. WTF were you people thinking in allowing those people to retire at age 53 with 105% of their salary guaranteed for life? Oh well they fucked you while they were on the clock and off. Burn em!!! On a positive note, I do like your State Climatologist.

Looks can be deceiving, for instance Oregon Senators 1 D and 1 R... not really Smith is a RINO. Don't get wrong, I'm not happy about the current state of affairs up here but we aren't bankrupt yet. Oregon has a problem that can't be solved without fucking all those public employees out of their retirement. WTF were you people thinking in allowing those people to retire at age 53 with 105% of their salary guaranteed for life? Oh well they fucked you while they were on the clock and off. Burn em!!! On a positive note, I do like your State Climatologist.

I'm not happy with the state of affairs here either, the state retirment plan is pretty asinine, and the unions around here are getting pretty ridiculus also. In our business we figured out the other day that just in what we pay the union (not including employee wages) for 4 union employees we could buy over 500K of CNC equipment and pay it off in less than 5 years.

Were going "bankrupt" all the time and then magically they happen to find millions of dollars that seem to appear out of thin air :rolleyes: Good excuse to raise property taxes and traffic fines.

A lot of the people who were born here are not typically super liberal, we have a tendency to import liberals from all over the place for some reason though, especially at college age. The College age ones are the ones who are typically to lazy or stones to vote, but the 30+ liberal demographic typically does. I think that its a lack of good conservative canidates and the importing californians are two of the major problems we have going on.

I'm not conservative on all issues but on the most important ones (Gun Control & Crime) I would probably be considered beyond conservative :killer:

Edited by JDthegunnut