Finally! Built my MK12 Mod 0 on R&R Iraq!!!

Took awhile being deployed. Started getting the parts last Sep. Left Oct right when my barrel came. But....

Today I decided I coouldn't wait another 8 months to come back from Iraq to build. I spent all day putting it together slowly, patiently, and most important correctly. Used all the right torgue, and loc-tites.

Gonna BZO the irons, and Leupold tommorrow if I can lose the wife for a bit! LOL

When I get back from the sandbox I'll have my forms ready to process for my Ops Inc 12th model suppressor. Then maybe have the rifle GunKoted. And I'll be happy.

Heres a few crappy pics. Sorry. I'm not a photographer.... :angel:

post-1520-1173334973_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1173334984_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor
Beautiful rifle! What features distinguish it as the Mk12 Mod 0? Is it a piston driven upper?

No Sir. Not piston driven.

Although You have ironically brought up my next project I'm working on. :devil: I'm also building an SBR piston gun that I plan to suppress, and build for a potential machinegun lower I'm looking at much later. That will be a big jump in funds though. I can only afford the taxes, and cost of the SBR, and suppressor now.

On the Mk12 Mod 0, and Mod 1

The SPR started as a SOCOM funded plan to try to test a precision upper for the M4 SOPMOD package. Just an upper. It could be fielded as needed by Special Forces, and other services looking for a 5.56 precision platform.

The MK12 Mod 0 starts with a free float stainless steel 18" 1/7 twist barrel designed to stabilize heaver gr 77 bullets called Mk262.

Here is a cut from ARFCOM

FIRST CAME THE "SPR". IT WAS THE RESULT OF SEVERAL YEARS OF EXPERIMENTATION AT CRANE TO DEVELOP THE OPTIMUM BARREL PROFILE, MINIMIZING LENGTH AND WEIGHT WHILE AT THE SAME TIME MAXIMIZING ACCURACY, MANEUVERABILITY, AND BARREL LIFE.

CRANE SETTLED ON THE DOUGLAS SS PREMIUM BARREL, FOR ITS OPTIMIZATION OF ACCURACY, RAPID BREAK-IN, AND DURABILITY. BARRELS WERE TURNED TO A SPECIFIC SPR CONTOUR, APPROX 18", BY A LEGENDARY BARRELMAKER WHO WISHES TO REMAIN OFF THE RADAR. CRANE ASSEMBLED SOME WEAPONS, BUT MOST HAVE BEEN ASSEMBLED BY AN OUTSIDE CONTRACTOR, ALSO A LEGEND IN CERTAIN CIRCLES, WHO ALSO SHUNS PUBLICITY.

IN THE FIRST ITERATION, COLT AND EVEN SOME ARMALITE FLAT TOP UPPERS WERE USED. THE LOWERS WERE M16A1'S, AS WERE THE BOLT CARRIERS. PRECISION REFLEX PROVIDED THE "GAS BUSTER" CHARGING HANDLE, A MUST FOR USE SUPPRESSED, THEIR EARLY CARBON FIBER FREE FLOATING FOREND, AND FIRST GENERATION FLIP UP FRONT SIGHT [FOUR SET SCREWS AND A DISCONTINUED SIGHT DESIGN]. ARMS #40 REAR SIGHT AND #22 MEDIUM RINGS WERE USED. THE OPTICS WERE TYPICALLY LEUPOLD LRM3 SCOPES. SPECIALLY MANUFACTURED #38 SPR RAILS TIED THE RECEIVER TO THE FOREND.

SEVERAL TRIGGERS WERE TRIED. THE KAC TRIGGERS ENDED UP GETTING THE NOD IN THE END.

THE IRRESPRESSIBLE PHIL SEBERGER'S OPS INC #12TH MODEL SPR SUPPRESSORS MADE THEIR DEBUT ON THIS RIFLE, ONE OF THE FEW SUPPRESSORS WITH A 40DB REDUCTION RATING. THAT'S QUIET!

THE OPS INC CAN ATTACHES VIA A THREADED SHOULDER ON THE OPS INC 2-PORT MILITARY BRAKE. IT TAKES TENSION AGAINST AN OPS INC BARREL COLLAR PRECISELY FITTED TO A STEP IN THE SPR PROFILE BARREL.

THIS COMBINATION PRODUCES ACCURACY AS GOOD AS OR SOME INSIST EVEN BETTER THAN THE UNSUPPRESSED BARREL. PLUS, THIS OPS INC BRAKE IS ONE OF THE FEW OUT THERE THAT ITSELF IS CONSIDERED TO BE AN ACCURACY ENHANCING DEVICE. SEBERGER FIRST DESIGNED THE BRAKE, AND THEN THE SOUND SUPPRESSOR. NO, IT IS NOT THE MOST EFFECTIVE MUZZLE BRAKE IN THE WORLD. BUT IT IS ONE OF THE LEAST OBJECTIONABLE. AND IT SHOOTS.

NO OPS INC 12TH MODEL CANS ARE IN CIVILIAN HANDS.

THE FIRST SPR'S USED A CHICOM COPY OF THE PARKER-HALE BIPOD. THIS IS THE ONLY ASPECT OF THE RIFLE WITH WHICH I CAN FIND FAULT, PERSONALLY.

THEN CAME A SECOND VERSION OF THE SPR. SOME CALL IT THE SPR-A. OTHERS REFER TO IT AS THE SPR-B. IF I ONCE KNEW WHAT WAS CORRECT, I HAVE SINCE FORGOTTEN.

THE SECOND ITERATION WAS BASICALLY THE SAME CORE WEAPON. DIFFERENT COMPONENTS USED WERE:

KAC 600-METER REAR SIGHT

KAC M4 MATCH FREE FLOATING RAS FOREND

KAC FOREND RAIL FLIP UP FRONT

ARMS #22 HIGH RINGS

LEUPOLD TS-30 SCOPE [sOME EARLY ONES ALSO HAD THE LRM3, I HAVE BEEN INFORMED.]

HARRIS BIPOD

FINALLY, CRANE TYPE-CLASSIFIED, OR "M" TYPED, THE SPR'S AS TWO VERSIONS, THE SPR MK 12 MOD 0 AND MOD 1. THIS TIME ALL COLT AND DIEMACO/COLT RECEIVERS WERE USED.

THE MOD 0 WAS MUCH LIKE THE FIRST ITERATION. CHANGES ARE:

LEUPOLD TS-30A2 SCOPE

PRI TYPE III FOREND

ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3 RAIL, TO ACCOMODATE DESIRE FOR A LIGHTER WEAPON AND THE NEW TYPE FOREND

A NEW VERSION OF THE PRI FLIP UP FRONT SIGHT USING FOUR SET SCREWS AND A DIFFERENT SIGHT DESIGN

THE MOD I WAS MUCH LIKE THE SECOND ITERATION. THE ONLY CHANGE WAS A SWITCH TO THE NEW LEUPOLD TS-30A2 SCOPE IN ARMS #22 HIGH RINGS.

THERE IS JUST NO TELLING HOW MANY MARTYRS HAVE BEEN MADE WITH THESE WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF OUR ARMED FORCES.... OR HOW MANY MORE WILL BE.

WES GRANT

MSTN.BIZ

And the Mk12 Mod 1 used by the Navy Seals, US ARMY Rangers, and Air Force Combat Controllers

difference lies in the reduced 1lb weight of different RAS rail, and iron sights manufactures by KAC

I love my Mod 0. But I intend to build both.

post-1520-1173332585_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1173332643_thumb.jpg

You back on R&R brother?? Give a brotha a call if'n ya wanna shoot! Good to hear you're doin okay

Hey!

How are Ya?!?!?!

Yep. Enjoying a little R&R. I leave in a few days. Back to the funhouse. Pm me your phone number, as my mother-in-law has the use of my cell phone now....lol. I had your number, as well as steves in there. Not likely she kept any of it...lol

I hope You, and yours are well, Tim

post-1520-1173335158_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow, I remember you talking about that thing a while back and holy crap, that thing sweet. So forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what kind of range do you get out of it? Are we talking over 500yds?

Info for You:

check this vid. I'm sending my SPR in to ADCO Firearms for refinish/re-build, and fitment for the Ops Inc. 12th Model( thanks wifey for letting me get this with the tax refund!)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. I probably couldn't do it. I get great groups at 100! lol

I just haven't been in an area I could get away with further just yet. I'm sure I could drive up to TACPRO and shoot. But I'm feeling kinda lazy right now.

You'd probably hear alot of crap about how shitty ballistics from a 5.56, and .223 for-that-matter would be at 700yds...but hey. Nice to see an aR platform do it anyway.

Kinda like AK haters out there. They can't see the finer points either.

It's just a fun rifle for me. And all the friends that visit me love to shoot it. I was actually outshot on a 5rd group by one of my wife's friends. It took her about 2 minutes each shot. but dang! She could shoot!

But I know my SPR with the Leupy scope zeroed for her at 100yds at 1.45. I can live with that.

Truth is......Sometimes I wanna sell it for a Yugo M76, or a TIGR.....lol

I'm kinda bored with AR's. Accurate, and too easy to build. The AK's variations seems to excite me more.

I'm kinda bored with AR's. Accurate, and too easy to build. The AK's variations seems to excite me more.

You're becoming a man!!! :haha:

J/K - Guido reminded me there's a range that goes to 400m up in valley mills. I've got some 7n1 in the mail, after I get it, I'd love to go hit it up again.