monday on Futureweapons

The shotgun they are showing is a further development of the Atchisson Assault Shotgun, which I think the USAS-12 was also loosely based on.

They were both concevied by the same guy. Atchisson sold the USAS-12 design to Daewoo. The military wanted the AA-12 redesigned before adopting it. Before it only fired 2 3/4 and they need it to fire #inch so they could use the Frag-12 rounds. It will all be on tonight.

The shotgun they are showing is a further development of the Atchisson Assault Shotgun, which I think the USAS-12 was also loosely based on.

Atchisson sold Daewoo the plans for the USAS-12. About the AA-12, the military wanted it modified to take a 3 inch mag round so they could use the Frag-12 rounds. This needed to be be done before they would commit to buying them. The original only fired 2 3/4. Looks like they are done with the mods. Can't wait to watch tonight!! :super:

That was an awesome show!The AA guy said it can be had with a 32 round mag!!! :super: The host sure had fun on this show!Does the AA have a choke tube?Must as the groupings were tight and I saw a turkey choke tube on the table when it showed the ammo selection at one point.

i saw the show and, while it was pretty impressive (though not as much as that sick Kriss SMG,) i have my doubts as to whether it is a better combat shotgun than say... a mil-spec S12.

Think about a side-by-side comparison: materials, infrastructure, aftermarket, complexity of design, price, variants, specs, capability.

and while the concept of a high-cap shotgun is indeed boner-inducing, remember that many here are already owners of 20 round mags. a little ducktape or a mag-cinch and PRESTO- now you have 40! so the utility of the 30+ round drum is debatable, but if you MUST have one, the fact that the guy that caused that big stir-up not to long ago was able to fab one proves that it doesn't take a Harvard degree to have a 30 round drum.

which reminds me, and i realize that this is perhaps my editorializing, but is full-auto shotgun fire really that necessary?

last time i checked, 12s were a pretty hefty round (not to mention ones that explode, or flechette, or other crazy shit.)

unless the insurgents start employing coked-out gorrilas or veloceraptors, i don't see the need.

velociraptor.jpg

THE NEW FACE OF TERROR.

Anyone else see the promo's on this today? Showing a full auto drum fed 12 gauge with some cool ass shells we would never be able to get. I thinks Discovery channel does this show.

ok... i'll settle for my saiga-12... BUT I GOT TO GET ME SOME OF THEM GRENADE ROUNDS

Anyone else see the promo's on this today? Showing a full auto drum fed 12 gauge with some cool ass shells we would never be able to get. I thinks Discovery channel does this show.

ok... i'll settle for my saiga-12... BUT I GOT TO GET ME SOME OF THEM GRENADE ROUNDS

Here is a fact sheet on it.

FRAG12.pdf

Here is a fact sheet on it.

FRAG12.pdf

well... i'll take one case for trials...

Cool show but I was hoping that they would have showed more on the Frag-12 round. A test with some dummys in a car or in a room with window would have been nice. Still an awesome gun and round.

Some videos on the AA-12 (slow loading for some people probably so give it time to buffer).

http://midamericarecreation.com/aa12_videos.htm

Frag-12 round videos:

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/aa-12...hots_result.mpg

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/aa-12/shot%201.mpg

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/aa-12/shot%204.mpg

Good luck getting one without being police or military (let alone being a DD and a tax stamp for each round like a mortar would be).

Heck, due to its low recoil, they even made a "autocopter" remote control helicopter gunship.

http://www.defensereview.com/article846.html

(video somewhere on there it said....I think you have to download it though).

My summary: I take the reliability of my Tromix over that thing.

~S

you do realize that if you had the proper permits the S12 could be full auto ... right?

yeah . you know , I've been asked a thousand times why I didn't have a F/A S-12 .Simple answer is "why bother? " . With 00 buck , each round fired is the same as a 9 rnd burst from a .32 subgun . that'll do .

you do realize that if you had the proper permits the S12 could be full auto ... right?

Precisely, which permit would that be for the regular citizen?

As far as I know, the only way would be to become a Class 2 gunsmith and create Pre-Sample (or was it post-sample).

A regular citizen -even if prior service- cannot purchase these types of full auto.

Another way would be to find a Full Auto that was made and registered prior to the 1986 ban. Not happening there of course though.

Past that, its law enforcement or military purchases (from those Class 2 gunsmiths I think)....and those are department owned (or should be I think).

Past that its prison.

Did I miss something?

Edited by whatmanual

Ummm... since I dont own a full auto anything, I should divert that one to those who know (finding a sear).

BUT:

I think its not just the sear -but the gun/bolt matching numbers or something.

From the sounds of what you suggest, I think that would = prison. Sorry. Not my law. :)

Using an AK as an example:

Merely having an unconverted AK and a full auto sear (not even in the gun) simply at the same home/car = prison as well (unless it was a spare part for your already registered class 3 full auto -considering you didnt have an extra AK it could possibly be used in).

Even if the unconverted AK was a "Pre-Ban" to the 1986 ban, if your "pre-ban" gun wasn't previously changed and registered as a full auto prior to that 1986 cut off date - Pre-Ban would simply translate to "old ass gun". Converting it AFTER that date = prison (or so I understand).

I think the law means that you cannot simply pop the auto sear out of your "legal full auto" pre-ban AK and then mail it to me to pop it into my "pre-ban" AK that was never converted/registered. Even if its an exact fit, its a conversion after that date -hence, its still an illegal change.

...If mine was a registered full auto AK as well and you gave me a sear to replace the one I broke or something...well, I think thats ok -but again, Im not a class 3 owner and would ask 1st to know for sure.

Or so I was told/read.

As far as I know, you would have to be the Class 2 Gunsmith (not someone else) and could make it for yourself only...or you could sell to Law Enforcement or Military only.

That would probably be the only way. Regular citizens cannot buy Post or Pre samples (I think) that Class 2 gunsmiths make/create....(which is why we all drool over the prices for those in comparison to other Class 3 full auto prices I might add).

Need someone like Tony to chime in on this one to know for sure though. He should know.

Finding the part is easy (let alone fabricating it really). Its the law on full auto conversions that would arrest you. Personally, not something I would mess with at all. You have no room for error on those full auto laws. One slip and its bye bye guns for life (let alone prison/fines)

Of course, I could be wrong a little. But I'm fairly sure that is very close.

~S

Edited by whatmanual