Which version of the POSP 8x42?

Which version of the 8x42 are you guys using on the 22" .308's? Eastwave has several versions (V, VD, M6D Pro and WD) to choose from, varying slightly in price...

Wasn't sure what most folks are using :)

Much appreciated.

James

I have the POSP 4-8x42 VD. Its amazing, I dropped my gun(on carpet) a few weeks ago with it mounted, I though I'd have to sight it back in; worked perfectly after dropping it.

I had an 8x42 POSP for all of 7 shots through my 308. The scope was out of round and probably trashed before I even got it. The dealer refused return due to the fact that it was mounted on the gun. Inspect anything you get VERY carefully as "no questions asked" guarantees actually have that one small question about if you actually used it (or even mounted it on your gun) :ded: .

My initial concern was that it was shooting 6 feet high at 25 yards in the first two rounds shot :eek: . Then when I adjusted it to the lowest (highest recticle setting) it would go, it was still two feet over the target. For the safety of the ice fishermen on the lake two miles down range, I packed it in. Later that evening the glass clouded over, and two days later it cracked. I won't personally trash the vendor because they probably see all sorts of morons trying to return stuff dropped out of tree stands (I worked in retail a year or two way back in high school, so I have a different opinion on these matters than most people).

So, in my opinion, you might as well throw your $200 in the street. A bushnell elite 3200 10x40 is 10x times the scope that the POSP is (even before the POSP fell apart). Not withstanding my personal bad luck with both the vendor and the optic, the POSP is POUNDS heavier than it should be given it has questionable durability, a noticable amount of paralax, and generally too high of a mount to get any sort of functional cheek weld on the weapon.

I also have a 4x russian side mount scope that performs well, but isn't any more clear than your average wallyworld airgun scope. IMO POSP = POS, YMMV

I had an 8x42 POSP for all of 7 shots through my 308. The scope was out of round and probably trashed before I even got it. The dealer refused return due to the fact that it was mounted on the gun. Inspect anything you get VERY carefully as "no questions asked" guarantees actually have that one small question about if you actually used it (or even mounted it on your gun) :ded: .

My initial concern was that it was shooting 6 feet high at 25 yards in the first two rounds shot :eek: . Then when I adjusted it to the lowest (highest recticle setting) it would go, it was still two feet over the target. For the safety of the ice fishermen on the lake two miles down range, I packed it in. Later that evening the glass clouded over, and two days later it cracked. I won't personally trash the vendor because they probably see all sorts of morons trying to return stuff dropped out of tree stands (I worked in retail a year or two way back in high school, so I have a different opinion on these matters than most people).

So, in my opinion, you might as well throw your $200 in the street. A bushnell elite 3200 10x40 is 10x times the scope that the POSP is (even before the POSP fell apart). Not withstanding my personal bad luck with both the vendor and the optic, the POSP is POUNDS heavier than it should be given it has questionable durability, a noticable amount of paralax, and generally too high of a mount to get any sort of functional cheek weld on the weapon.

I also have a 4x russian side mount scope that performs well, but isn't any more clear than your average wallyworld airgun scope. IMO POSP = POS, YMMV

Interesting. Sucks that you had so many issues :( The general consensus here is that the scopes rock. Whom did you buy from? EastWave seems to be the favorite, and a few guys have done returns to them w/o issue.

I think there was a vendor that was selling knockoffs/sub-par POSP scopes not long ago... I dunno.

Interesting. Sucks that you had so many issues :( The general consensus here is that the scopes rock. Whom did you buy from? EastWave seems to be the favorite, and a few guys have done returns to them w/o issue.

I think there was a vendor that was selling knockoffs/sub-par POSP scopes not long ago... I dunno.

I was dealing with Kalinka Optics. It was a real drag, and very frustrating (I hate even bringing it back up... one with the universe, all is well...). They initally sent me a return authorization form, then I sent them my package with all of the info on the box and forms filled out (to the tune of $12 or so). They took their time in determining that the damage was not something covered by warranty or return policies. After that I looked closely at the box they shipped to me, and one corner of that was slightly crushed, but not badly. The front of the scope was just slightly out of round, and that didn't effect the clarity of the glass until after it was shot. Then it clouded and cracked. Can't really be sure if it was shipping damage or a crap product. However, I'm absolutely sure that I didn't damage the scope, with exception of the handful of rounds I shot voiding the guarantees and warranty's (absolute crap "warranty" for a scope if it's no good once you mount and shoot it - WTF is a scope for? - especially stupid given the POSP doesn't even need rings to risk any damage to its crackleberry finish).

Even when I was visually inspecting the scope before I mounted it, I thought that the moving recticle was immensely cheezey (and not too great for target acquisition) and the clarity of the optics as compared to even an old Redfield was not very good. Frankly I thought the scope itself was such crap that I didn't want to argue with the vendor for another one. Too heavy to be mounted off center, and it really detracted from the appeal of the saiga. The scope was sized as though it was to be placed on a precision bolt gun, but with optics that weren't nearly worth the size. It's my belief that once the POSP's get to a higher magnification (and I mean more than 4x) the moving recticle is a big downside to the overall design. Anyhow, drop the last P, and that's my review...

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff
I have my long barrel 308 comming in & I am researching scopes. Do the POSP scopes hover over the exact center or to the right? I am left handed, so I need a center scope for sure. Any advice would be appriciated. :D

The hover to the left of the barrel by about an inch or so, and about two inches over the barrel. Being left handed, you'd be looking on the opposite side of the stock that your head is. You'd probably have some issues, but maybe a lefty can chime in...

• 4 weeks later...