Though I'm not a Marine (or in the service) I have read that tattoos are limited to no more than five (I don't believe anyones actively counting) and no tattoos in visible places. The face, hands, neck, etc. are off limits as are any racial, gang related, nude or "inappropriate" tattoos. Other tattoos are still OK, so Semper Fi, the Bulldog, American flag, Bald Eagle, are still permissible.

I planned to get some ink done before I retire this year as a Sailor/Seabee kinda thing. I had to check the regs again to be sure. Exerpt from Military .Com ( full article:http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,130502,00.html)

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James T. Conway announced the policy change last week.

"Some Marines have taken the liberty of tattooing themselves to a point that is contrary to our professional demeanor and the high standards America has come to expect from us," he said. "I believe tattoos of an excessive nature do not represent our traditional values."

The ban is aimed primarily at "sleeve" tattoos, the large and often elaborate designs on the biceps and forearms of many Marines. Similar designs on the lower legs will be forbidden as well. So will very large tattoos on the upper arm, if they are visible when a Marine wears his workout T-shirt. Small, individual tattoos will still be allowed on the arms and legs. (The Marines already ban them on the hands.)

Marines already tattooed are exempt from the ban but cannot add to their designs; anyone caught with fresh ink in the wrong places could be barred from re-enlistment or face disciplinary action. Getting a prohibited tattoo could constitute a violation of a lawful order, punishable by up to two years in prison and a dishonorable discharge, Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Brian Donnolly said.

Unit commanders must photograph and document sleeve tattoos to ensure Marines do not add to their ink.

The Marines and the other branches of the military already ban tattoos that could be offensive or disruptive, such as images that are sexist, vulgar, gang-related or extremist.

Don't have the order handy but here's the gist of it:

Effective 1 April 2007 no tattoos are allowed below the elbow, knee, or above the neckline. No sleeving, and no gang related tattoos (regardless of location) unless waiver has been signed. Any new tattoos obtained prior to effective date can be grandfathered in. Any new tattoos in an unauthorized location after the effective date can get you two years in the brig.

Right now all the commands are taking digital pictures of Marines with tattoos to document their location and keeping them on file.

Personally, I think there are bigger things to worry about.

Right now the only image I want to portray of the Corps is a sand-encrusted warrior with the blood of the enemy dripping down his bayonet. He's peering into the horizon looking for his next kill. He smells like sweat, blood, and tears accumulated through several hundred years of war.

I want any potential enemy to look at him and go "Holy fuck! I have to fight him? Can't we just attack the Army instead?" :osama:

But maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

P.S.

I'm just kidding with the Army comment. You guys are all right by me. And your new uniforms don't suck as much as the Air Force utilities.

Right now the only image I want to portray of the Corps is a sand-encrusted warrior with the blood of the enemy dripping down his bayonet. He's peering into the horizon looking for his next kill. He smells like sweat, blood, and tears accumulated through several hundred years of war.

I want any potential enemy to look at him and go "Holy fuck! I have to fight him? Can't we just attack the Army instead?" :osama:

But maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

P.S.

I'm just kidding with the Army comment. You guys are all right by me. And your new uniforms don't suck as much as the Air Force utilities.

Yeah, that Marine tattoo would be kinda ironic since the "pansy" Army is doing most of the grunt work in the sandbox right now, right? :rolleyes:

And you guys still can't call cadence worth a damn. :lol:

Our cadences are so bad they formed the Silent Drill Team to prove that we don't need them. :smoke:

Hey Gaddis I heard you live in NJ. Where do you shoot? I'm trying to get into a range in Salem County.

This change in policy also affects those who are ending their enlisted career shortly and were hoping to peruse OCS. If you already have tattoo's below the elbow, you are still considered a "new entry" into officer ranks and cannot proceed. Kinda sucks eh?

Taking tattoos away from marines? They need to do some research on the subject.

Marine's have always been tattood. What the "F" .

Politically correct BS - another beuracratic Charley-Foxtrot!

Our cadences are so bad they formed the Silent Drill Team to prove that we don't need them. :smoke:

Hey Gaddis I heard you live in NJ. Where do you shoot? I'm trying to get into a range in Salem County.

Salem County Sportsman's Club by chance? :unsure:

I'm a member, so if you ever need a sponsor... :super:

Most of the time I shoot my "scary" weapons over at the Ommalanden <SP?> public range over in Delaware. :killer:

BTW - even though I hack on them every chance I get, I really *DO* like Da Marines. And with at least three former Marines in the immediate family, I'd probably be risking a beating if it all wasn't meant in fun. :haha:

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Apr 2 2007, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taking tattoos away from marines? They need to do some research on the subject.

Marine's have always been tattood. What the "F" .

The new policy does NOT prohibit a United States Marine from obtaining a tattoo (or hving multiple tattoos over 80% of their leather-neck bodies). What the new policy does is "restrict" the location on a person's (e.g., a Marine's) body where they are allowed to have a tattoo inked.

Personally, it makes a hellva lot of sense to me. There are few things less "eye appealing" than a U.S. military person wearing his/her Class B, Class A or Dress Uniform, and having some friggen bizzare artwork on their hands, kneck, or other exposed areas for the entire populace to see.

Absolutely, my viewpoint is likely NOT the popular majority as shared by members of this forum.

:smoke:

The Navy came out with one too:

Nothing visible above the collar or below PT shorts or short sleeves. Pre-exisitng tats require a waiver and in some cases the Sailor has had to have the offending tat removed (at his/her expense) or be admin sep'ed. Those tats usually involved nekkid wimmen, foul language, gang signs, marijuana leaves, etc.

The Navy reg also covers dental ornamentation, i.e. gold "grilz", piercings, brandings, split tongues, beading, scarification, and so on.

DocV

Salem County Sportsman's Club by chance? :unsure:

Most of the time I shoot my "scary" weapons over at the Ommalanden <SP?> public range over in Delaware. :killer:

BTW - even though I hack on them every chance I get, I really *DO* like Da Marines. And with at least three former Marines in the immediate family, I'd probably be risking a beating if it all wasn't meant in fun. :haha:

Looks like I had the wrong county. It's Cumberland Riflemen in Millville, NJ...not too far from Salem. I'm only about a half hour away in Gloucester County and there's actually the South Jersey Sportmen's Association about 5 minutes from my house. But they don't have the 600yd range like Cumberland Riflemen has. Not to mention Cumberland is only $75 a year except the first year, which is $175. Hell I've had bar tabs in Philly that were higher than that.

So back to the topic. Can I just tell you guys how ridiculous this whole process was? I had over half my platoon standing in line to get digital pics of their tattoos. A LOT of Marines just had them done too. One of my guys asked if he has his forearm retouched in a few years does that go against the order? I told him to ask in a few years before he has it done but as far as I was concerned that did not constitute a "new" tattoo.

And Gaddis, I might hack on the Army guys but when I worked with them in the sandbox they were good to go. ESPECIALLY the guys in the med units. Charlie Med in Ramadi (aka Junction City) saved a lot of Marines in that city.