Tapco G2 FCG Hammer does not work with Saiga 12

Just tried installing my single hook Tapco G2 hammer and it will not work in a Saiga 12, but it can be trimmed with a dremel to fit. Looking at the following picture, you can see where it needs to be trimmed near where the pivot pin goes, there is a little triangle piece that juts out, it will need to be trimmed to clear the trunion like thing that stops the hammer. Without trimming it, the hammer cannot pivot and rotate enough to function.

Sorry about the out of focus picture, it is the closest my camera can get without getting really blurry.

24295My_Guns_001.jpg

That's what I did, I ended up just using the original hammer, thanks to that document that now tells us we only need 3 U.S. parts, I still have one to spare.

Another snag I'm working on now is that my Red Star Arms shepard's crook replacement doesn't fit, so I've been trimming the heck out of it to fit. Almost there. The Saiga 12 rails interfere along with one of the rivets.

I hate using the shepard's crook, so I finally finished trimming the Red Star Arms retainer to fit, much easier to take part now. To fill the holes on my Saiga rifle I used 1/8" pop rivets. I think they make it look like they are meant to be there, but I need to paint them because right now they stand out like a sore thumb. I don't really like the crossbolt idea from Sheik's website, they are just too large. For my Saiga 12, I'm going to take some expoxy or Liquid Metal and fill in the holes, sand, polish and paint, so that it looks like they were never there.

Here is a pic of the pop rivets on my other Saiga:

24295My_Guns_012.jpg

hey haphazard, what caliber is that handgun again? what is it - it looks like a Markorov. cool looking bullets.

My shepards crook works just fine, what's the problem? placed on those bolts that I posted. It's just there to hold the two pins in place. over the first, one under the second. placed in the slots inside the receiver?!? I don't understand the problem, I don't understand how it can go wrong - really, I'm not being sarcastic.

Edited by Siagalova
That's what I did, I ended up just using the original hammer, thanks to that document that now tells us we only need 3 U.S. parts, I still have one to spare.

Another snag I'm working on now is that my Red Star Arms shepard's crook replacement doesn't fit, so I've been trimming the heck out of it to fit. Almost there. The Saiga 12 rails interfere along with one of the rivets.

Stay away from the tits-on-a-boar REd Star shepherd's hook "replacement" in your Siagas or any AK. It's a solution looking for a problem--or should I say a profit.

Your Saiga came with a spring wire shep's hook of sorts. You can leave that cross-pin with the wire on it in, and continue to use it, or simply put a regular shep's hook on the front cross-pin and it will fit and work just like downtown. Think simple, like Kalashnikov.

About the hammer, you can use any standard AK hammer. You just need to dremmel off some of the right side pivot pin sleeve to make room for the bolt hold-open--if you even have one. Use the original hammer as a measuring guide. You also can use any single-hook trigger. so long as you file down the pyramid-looking blade on top of the hook. It seems to be a Russian thing. My Saiga .223 required the same treatment.