New Question real quick, just bought a saiga

Hey guys,

Quick question - how often should I clean and lubricate my gun? today i fired around 80 rounds and im sitting here trying to understand what the hell the broken english in the manual is tryuing to tell me. Do you guys know of any sites that may have a maintnance guide for this rifle so I can assure its longevity?

if not maybe some of you guys can give me some tips on which parts need cleaning/lube?

any help is much appreciated

thanks,

Josh

Hey guys,

Quick question - how often should I clean and lubricate my gun? today i fired around 80 rounds and im sitting here trying to understand what the hell the broken english in the manual is tryuing to tell me. Do you guys know of any sites that may have a maintnance guide for this rifle so I can assure its longevity?

if not maybe some of you guys can give me some tips on which parts need cleaning/lube?

thanks,

Josh

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure from what you've read here we are all enthusiastic with our fine Russian weapons.

As far as cleaning/maintenance goes, there is a reason why most poor third-world countries outfit their armies or militias with Kalashnikov-action weapons....they can take a hellified beating and be dirty as hell, and they can still fire. You don't have to worry about taking off the gas tube assembly until you have fired a few hundred rounds at least (and even that is probably considered to be "clean-freakish"). I personally clean all of my weapons after each firing, but that's only a habit I've acquired from the military - you don't have to be that worried about Saigas and their chrome-lined barrels (helps against corrosion in the barrel).

All that I do after I fire my Saigas is remove the cover and bolt carrier assembly, and clean all of the moving parts and the barrel. For the cleaning of the moving parts, I use Break Free Powder Blast. It works really well, and evaporates quickly. For the barrel, I use #9. I then lube everything up using Break Free CLP (oil bottle and/or spray bottle). To finish up, I wipe the weapon down using a silicone cloth to remove fingerprint oils. All this takes about 10 minutes, but it goes a long way towards making sure the weapon retains it's value.

You might also want to get a buffer (you can do a search on the forum for these). These are a must have for Kalashnikov-action weapons because they preserve the operating life of the action.

Hope this helps. Have fun plinking!

Hey guys,

thanks,

Josh

Josh,

Welcome aboard. For now, you can access the official U.S. Army maintenance manual for an AK47 at:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

The owner lets everyone access his manuals.

Just follow his instructions for free access. You don't have to pay to use them. You can even print it out.

louielouie

p.s. About every 10th visit I send him $5 by PayPal.

p.s.s. I clean my firearms about every 5th trip to the range (about 6 weeks) or more often if not shooting as much.

Edited by louielouie

I would recommend you clean it every time you finish taking it out. Since you are new, it will help you get familiar with the gun. And, it is just the right thing to do. I was taught that it was lazy not to make sure your guns were clean. Every gun can malfunction. But, clean guns malfunction less. What if you actually needed the gun for self protection? I would hate to die because I didn't spend 30 minutes cleaning my gun.

Just my opinion.

Question for you guys...

The saiga I bought has the alternate saiga stock.. not the normal rifle stock.. at first i wanted to convert it to a pistol grip and whatnot but when i saw how much work it involved I was worried that i might screw it up... basically im a newb and im not ready for the task.

Just curious... the part of the rifle that you hold (not with your trigger hand, ther other hand)... i think its called the furnature? how hard is it to replace that with a diff one?

thanks,

Josh

If you change out main parts on the rifle like that it is considered "assembly" by the ATF. You cannot legally assemble a weapon with more than ten foreign parts from their list. You can modify the existing "forearm" on the rifle. I could make it a lot more cool looking and actually run cooler if you send it to me to ventillate.

Some examples...

post-1293-1178831540_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1178831979_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1178832079_thumb.jpg

How hard is this to do? Id like to put on something like a galil formarm on my rifle... is there any tutorials online? i found lots of tutorials for switching to pistol grip but none for this... is it that easy that it doesnt require one?

what is the best site to buy parts in your alls opinion?

Thanks,

Josh

If you change out main parts on the rifle like that it is considered "assembly" by the ATF. You cannot legally assemble a weapon with more than ten foreign parts from their list. You can modify the existing "forearm" on the rifle. I could make it a lot more cool looking and actually run cooler if you send it to me to ventillate.

Some examples...

post-1293-1178831540_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1178831979_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1178832079_thumb.jpg

cobra 72 two what do you charge to ventillate a forarm? what is the turn around time?

How hard is this to do? Id like to put on something like a galil formarm on my rifle... is there any tutorials online? i found lots of tutorials for switching to pistol grip but none for this... is it that easy that it doesnt require one?

what is the best site to buy parts in your alls opinion?

Thanks,

Josh

If you want a galil style lower handguard (the furniture) go to tapco.com (link here http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=19d5...a-c129e3aa71e5) & check out their accessories. They make some great products.

to remove the lower hanguard just turn the weapon upside down and remove that screw that is right in front of the magazine well. Then you kind of wiggle it towards the muzzle of rifle, and it slides off. I've never installed the Saiga galil one from tapco but it looks like the handguard goes on and then there is a clamp to hold it in place.. real easy to change out and works with the current gas tube. There is a post about removing the lower hanguard...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16803

Here is another post about cleaning and field stripping the rifle, with video included..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=15463&hl=

Good luck with your new acquisition!

Edited by Kaiser

thanks for the manual site. I am mirroring it to my hard drive as I write this with one click of the mouse.

the eaa manual I have a link to in my signature line, and my link is pointed to a copy hosted on this site, in case EAA ever takes thiers down.

Can't say I know how the 7.62x39 saiga handguard is held on but with the shotguns it is a screw on the front swivel. If you get the Tapco galil HG, then contact a Mr. dinzag here on the forum for the HG retainer. It works good. Always nice to see fellow NYers here. Welcome aboard. :blues:

nyclu3

Can't say I know how the 7.62x39 saiga handguard is held on but with the shotguns it is a screw on the front swivel. If you get the Tapco galil HG, then contact a Mr. dinzag here on the forum for the HG retainer. It works good. Always nice to see fellow NYers here. Welcome aboard. :blues:

nyclu3

The tapco lower hanguard will work on saiga .223 and 7.62 (the one marked saiga galil), but if you wanted it on .308 dinzag makes the appropriate mounting device.

thanks for the help guys

I like that tapco galil handgaurd.. i think it looks great compared to the factory one... does it cover the whole gas tube or does it come short? does anyone here have one on their saiga so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Josh

Pinned at the top each different Saiga forum here, we have a designated picture thread just for that reason. Look thru all the pics our members have been kind enough to post and you will se numerous examples.

man - im definatly feelin that galil handguard they got.. does it require any modification or it uhhhhhhhhh "plug and play" ?

thanks

as long as you get the on specific to the Saiga, from what I've gathered its plug and play. Somebody who actually put one on their gun will probaly be along shortly..

thanks for the help guys

I like that tapco galil handgaurd.. i think it looks great compared to the factory one... does it cover the whole gas tube or does it come short? does anyone here have one on their saiga so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Josh

Hey here is a picture of the Tapco Galil hanguard on an AK http://www.tapco.com/show_image.aspx?id=fc...c5-8b3b9d358aee

You also asked if it was plug n' play, yes, you remove your current hanguard then this one has a barrel clamping device to hold it in place.. thats it. No modifications needed.

You just need to get the one that says "Saiga Galil" and as long as you have 7.62 or .223 it will work fine.

Edited by Kaiser