Could I sand out the checkering on the Saiga Buttstock?

Do you think I could sand out the checkering on the Saiga Sporter Stock to try to make it more like an AK47 stock?

If so with what grit paper or?

The only other thing I could try would be to fill it in with resin and then sand it.

Any suggestions?

louielouie

You can probably sand the checkering down safely, I would follow the instructions in the "polishing polymer" thread, start with a coarser grain sandpaper and work your way up to finer grades. I just don't understand why you would want that? I can't imagine the stock w/o checkering looking any more like an AK that it does with it. The plastic stock is hollow- so any drastic shape changes that go deeper than the surface will be tough- you'll sand right through- into the hollow interior, then need to build those areas back up with epoxy or somthing? If you want somthing drasticaly different, consider making a new stock out of wood. you can probably get at least 12-15 bucks for the unaltered stock if you were to sell it.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ May 12 2007, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd fill it with bondo and sand smooth. Paint to look like what you want.

GOB,

Great minds think in the same direction.

I like the Saiga stock, but not the sporty look. I just traded for another stock like mine. I am going to try to cut the area out below the checkering, and replace it with a transplant from my donor stock. I have worked in fiberglass, so if need be I can use some resin (or filler) to top off and level and then shoot stock with same color as original.

Sounds like fun to me,

louielouie

p.s. JK-47, if the plastic doesn't work out, I have a custom wood set on the way.

Edited by louielouie

louielouie,are you doing something like this?

post-2682-1179120383_thumb.jpg

I cut the 'sporter' areas off,then filled it in with epoxy putty.It worked fine,but was a bit long for my tastes.

post-2682-1179120336_thumb.jpg

I've since put a romy folder on it.

I cut the 'sporter' areas off,then filled it in with epoxy putty.It worked fine,but was a bit long for my tastes.

Please tell me you will sell it to me? Please, please (I am begging).

louielouie

Please tell me you will sell it to me? Please, please (I am begging).

louielouie

That does look nice. I was having trouble getting a mental picture but I like the look and the higher comb. Will this mess with the foriegn parts count?

madmilo,I had 4 u.s. parts on it at the time,think it was o.k..I liked how it looked also,but with the barrel being 22" to begin with,it made the overall length a bit much.

louielouie,i'll get ahold of you later today,we'll work something out. :up:

Edited by Telly458

Ya know louielouie, you can shorten that even more to look more like an AK stock...well kind of...

Aethelbert came over one day and I cut about 1 1/2" out of the rear portion of his .410 stock and shortened it to where it fits him much better. It was tricky because I had to then cut the very rear part and the buttplate in half to take out some, to make it fit the smaller size where I rejoined it ,but after some careful "plastic welding" with soldering iron (inside and out) and sanding, painting, it came out looking very nice. I posted these pics in the other thread where you were asking about paint but since this is in the tech section I'll post them again. :smoke:

post-1293-1179852726_thumb.jpg post-1293-1179852702_thumb.jpg

Ya know louielouie, you can shorten that even more to look more like an AK stock...well kind of...

Aethelbert came over one day and I cut about 1 1/2" out of the rear portion of his .410 stock and shortened it to where it fits him much better. It was tricky because I had to then cut the very rear part and the buttplate in half to take out some, to make it fit the smaller size where I rejoined it ,but after some careful "plastic welding" with soldering iron (inside and out) and sanding, painting, it came out looking very nice. I posted these pics in the other thread where you were asking about paint but since this is in the tech section I'll post them again. :smoke:

post-1293-1179852726_thumb.jpg post-1293-1179852702_thumb.jpg

Cobra,

Did you cut your stock with a dremmel or a saw? I couldn't believe it, but when I used a miter saw (by hand) to dissect a stock to see how it was made) I cut through the stock like I was cutting pine.

My dremmel would cut it too, but it tended to throw molten "plastic" ahead of the cut, and it took forever.

I do want to cut it down and I have seen your page about shortening it, but I just have not done it yet. Do you remember when you took 1 and 1/2 inches off the length, about how much you had to shorten the buttplate?

louielouie

Cobra,

I cut about 1 1/4 inches off of end and it looks good. As you pointed out, I can see that I will need to do some rework on the buttplate. Did you even bother to make your Buttplate removable?

I can see I will need to counter sink the screw holes for the buttplate to enter the buttstock. Or I could just level off the area where the screw mates with the rest of the buttplate. What did you do?

I may never be done with my conversion, but it keeps me out of trouble.

louielouie

I saved the buttplate and the 1" or so where it srews on. I removed the 1 1/4 or so from between there and the rest of it. That preserved my threaded holes for remounting. Because that rear section was so much bigger than the rest i had to cut it in half and remove some from the middle til it matched the size of the front half. Dig?

Wow man you rock! Go for it!

• 4 weeks later...

This is where I am as of today.

I think this is more like the AK stock, although it is not completely like it. My goal was to take the basic Saiga butttstock that came with my 7.62 Sporter Saiga Rifle, and make it look as much like the AK as I could.

I cut one and one quarter inches off of the end of the buttstock and cut the buttplate to match. I have the buttplate welded and almost complete. I still need to fill the middle slot that you see in the photos below.

I am going to use Matte Black DuraCoat to finish the stock.

I hope to get it painted in the next couple of weekends. Seems like I just keep finding more and more to do my conversion.

louielouie

post-5881-1182182916_thumb.jpg

post-5881-1182182932_thumb.jpg

Edited by louielouie
  • 3 weeks later...

I think this is more like the AK buttstock, although it is not completely like it. My goal was to take the basic Saiga butttstock that came with my 7.62 Sporter Saiga Rifle, and make it look as much like the AK buttstock as I could.

I did quite a bit of experimenting with the stock until I found what I like.

I cut one and one quarter inches off of the end of the buttstock and cut the buttplate to match.

I gutted the buttstock where the checkering was and filled and shaped it with short-strand fiberglass mix.

I filled approx 2/3rds of the interior of the stock with the same fiberglass short-strand composite and ran two bolts through to give it added strength.

I sprayed 2 coats of Duracoat Matte black on it.

I really like the way it looks. Now I need to work on the receiver and etc.

louielouie

post-5881-1183500176_thumb.jpg

Edited by louielouie