Radical Muslim paramilitary compounds flourishing across the United States

Islamberg not the only radical Muslim compound flourishing in North America

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover052107.htm

By Judi McLeod

Monday, May 21, 2007

The two FBI types breaking bread with the enemy in the photo above at "Islamberg" look right at home to Canada Free Press (CFP). Notice the weapons these dudes are wearing at the dinner table?

Islamberg is just one of what is thought to be a half dozen radical Muslim paramilitary compounds flourishing across the United States, this one nestled in dense forest at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains on the outskirts of Hancock, New York.

Canada, home to at least one such compound, is no safe ground.

Now that the photos of the two unidentified FBI types have been published, we will undoubtedly hear that they were merely working undercover. But some sticklers would consider saying cheese from the dinner table of the enemy is over the top.

Hundreds of letters have deluged (CFP) since it published a story with pictures of Springtime in Islamberg, written by The Day of Islam author Dr. Paul Williams with the able assistance of Doug Hagmann, Bill Krayer and Michael Travis.

Many letter writers complain that local authorities are telling them they have never heard of the compound.

Islamberg is an al Fuqra house. "Fuqra has had a disturbing U.S. presence for more than 20 years." (The weekly Standard, March 18, 2002). "Today, half a dozen Fuqra residential compounds in rural hamlets across the country shelter hundreds of members, some of whom, according to intelligence sources, have been trained in the use of weapons and explosives in Pakistan."

In a world where authorities make like terrorism doesn't exist, Fuqra's founder and bossman, Sheikh Mubarik Ali Hasmi Shah Gilani, is not only alive and wellÑhe has a road "Sheikh Gilani Lane" named after him. This road is not in faraway Pakistan, but right in Charlotte County, Virginia.

Charlotte County is a rural farming community in Central Virginia near the North Carolina border.

Like its counterpart in Hancock, New York, it is inhabited by proud Americans many whose sons and daughters are fighting for our freedom in Iraq.

"This is not only an embarrassment to the citizens of Charlotte County it is a disgrace to the entire country and an insult to the victims of 9/11 and those fighting overseas in the war against terrorism," wrote Martin Mawyer, president of the Christian Action Network.

"Sheikh Gilani has rubbed shoulders at international terrorist confabs with gunslingers from Hamas and Hezbollah, their mullah backers, and Osama bin Laden. And he has trained fighters for the battlefields of Kashmir, Chechnya and Bosnia." (the weekly Standard).

Dropping in on radical Muslim paramilitary compounds isn't good for your health. Two bloggers who posted the plucky Williams' Islamberg story had their lives threatened.

Most infidels, including even the local undertaker, are denied access to compounds such as Islamberg.

Indeed, the very undertaker denied access wrote a letter telling the author/journalist he was surprised he made it off the compound with his life intact.

The undertaker says he has delivered bodies to the complex but has yet to be granted entrance. "They come and take the bodies from my hearse," he told Williams. "They won't allow me to get past the sentry post. They say that they want to prepare the bodies for burial. But I never get the bodies back. I don't know what's going on there but I don't think it's legal."

As far as is known, Gilani launched his first U.S. operation without interference from any authority back in 1980.

By the 1990s, Fuqra's communes were being touted as havens where Muslim convertsÑmany of them inner-city blacks, sometimes recruited in prisonÑcould find new direction for their lives.

Why aren't people reading about these flourishing compounds in their hometown newspapers?

Does it require too much work for the mainstream media, or do politically correct times keep the topic taboo?

You'd think that these compounds would be a priority for Homeland Security, but they aren't.

One of the letters to Williams via CFP was from a member of Homeland Security asking for more information!

It seems to be politically incorrect to write about radical Muslim paramilitary compounds flourishing on American soil and politically incorrect to talk about terrorism.

For some American and Canadian citizens, it's welcome to life with a deadly enemy living right next door.

the govt should offer the montana freemen amnesty to attack that place.

NY you say? doesnt surprise me. a few of the 9/11 hijackers lived in my area at one point.

Charlotte County, VA seems, from what I can tell, a very rural area. Not where you would expect to find such a thing. But then again, exactly where are we supposed to find this shit? They can be anywhere.

Crappy thing is, if someone goes and wrecks their compound and finds an assload of IEDs, they'd probably arrest the person that trashed the place on hate crimes.

When I first read that, I laughed. But ya wanna know what? It's not funny because it's probably true.

Actually, back in 2003, in Moscow Idaho... where the guy recently freaked out and shot up the Latah County Court house...

Thursday, February 27, 2003

Anti-terror forces arrest Idaho student

By PAUL SHUKOVSKY

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

MOSCOW, Idaho -- Agents with a federal anti-terrorism task force yesterday arrested a University of Idaho student who they say provides a window on how al-Qaida, the group responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, raises money.

Sami Omar Al-Hussayen, a doctoral candidate studying computer security here, was a terrorist bagman, according to one federal criminal justice source. "He's in touch with people who could pick up the phone, call UBL (the law enforcement acronym for Osama bin Laden), and he would take the call."

Few in this region's small Muslim community would talk about Al-Hussayen yesterday. Some praised him as a man of peace. Nearly all feared that his arrest could mean trouble for the entire community.

Al-Hussayen, who is from Saudi Arabia, had been a committed student leader at the University of Idaho, where he has studied since 1999. He once was president of the local chapter of the Muslim Students Association and gave blood after the Sept. 11 attacks, then marched with others in a peace rally. Al-Hussayen, 35, is married and the father of two children.

Indeed, the charges against Al-Hussayen involve immigration crimes with only tangential relationships to terrorism. But investigators say the accusations do not reflect the central role that investigators believe Al-Hussayen has played in the flow of al-Qaida cash.

Federal agents coordinated the 4 a.m. arrest of Al-Hussayen in this quiet college town of 18,000 people with the arrests of four Arab men around Syracuse, N.Y., and searches of a Muslim charity operation in greater Detroit. The arrests also come in the wake of the recent arrests of a Tampa, Fla., professor from Palestinian territories and three other men accused of setting up a terror cell at the University of South Florida.

These arrests represent a basic change in the way the FBI does business.

The hallmark of an FBI investigation has been a slow, methodical investigation designed to arrest and convict all the participants of even the most complex criminal enterprise. But in the past few weeks, federal criminal justice sources say, FBI headquarters has ordered field offices nationwide to arrest the targets of investigations who in the past would be kept under close surveillance to develop further intelligence and evidence.

One overriding objective has sparked this change: To stop another Sept. 11 attack by disrupting suspected terrorist cells.

It's an objective that has gained urgency with a war looming in Iraq and the recent heightening of the nation's terrorism alert status to orange.

"Clearly, there is an emphasis on disruption" of terror cells, said Special-Agent-in-Charge Chip Burrus of the FBI's Salt Lake City field office. The Salt Lake office, which is responsible for Idaho, is conducting the investigation with the Seattle FBI office.

So Al-Hussayen spent last night in a county sheriff's jail awaiting arraignment in U.S. District Court in Boise where he will face an 11-count indictment essentially accusing him of lying to the U.S. immigration officials by not revealing his activities with the Muslim charities around Detroit and Syracuse. Had he revealed those activities, the government probably would not have given him a visa to remain in the United States.

Among those activities:

Operating Web sites for the Islamic Assembly of North America of Detroit that allegedly disseminated "radical Islamic ideology the purpose for which was indoctrination, recruitment of members, and the instigation of acts of violence and terrorism." The assembly's telephone went unanswered yesterday.

Operating a Web site that carried an article before Sept. 11, 2001, advocating "suicide operations" that included "bringing down an airplane on an important location that will cause the enemy great losses."

Funneling tens of thousands of dollars from sources within and outside the United States to the charities IANA and Help the Needy in Syracuse.

Cynthia Miller, Al-Hussayen's attorney, refused to make a substantive comment yesterday, saying that she had not had adequate time to study the case. Asked about Al-Hussayen's state of mind, she said: "Obviously, he's upset."

The investigation of Al-Hussayen began around Sept. 11, said Burrus. It began not as a criminal investigation, but an intelligence inquiry. Its objective was nothing less than to remove the veil of secrecy on al-Qaida's complex financial network. And, sources say, that the FBI used many of the means of electronic surveillance at its disposal including wiretaps and intercepts of e-mails.

In August, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer wrote a story about the use of Islamic charities as a conduit to finance terrorism. The story revealed the presence of the investigation into what happens to charitable donations by Muslim students at Washington State University and the University of Idaho. In the course of that story, a Post-Intelligencer reporter unsuccessfully attempted to interview Al-Hussayen.

Federal criminal justice sources say the Post-Intelligencer story changed the course of the investigation by alerting Al-Hussayen and his colleagues.

The investigation is far from over.

"We are not at the end of the trail, we are at the beginning of the trail," Burrus said to a packed news conference yesterday in Moscow's 100-year-old City Council chambers. "You can't imagine the flow charts" depicting the flow of so-called charitable funds, he said.

In the center box of a flow chart is Al-Hussayen, the nexus of millions of dollars flowing from Saudi Arabia to the United States and from Al-Hussayen to individuals and Islamic organizations in the United States as well as Egypt, Canada, Jordan and Pakistan, according to sources, court documents and public statements made yesterday.

Participating in the news conference yesterday was Idaho Governor Dirk Kempthorne, who said: "When this sort of thing happens in a state like Idaho, in a community like Moscow . . . where no one would ever expect activities like this would occur, then this network exists throughout the United States."

It was a sentiment echoed by one federal criminal justice source, who said last summer: "We're not finding Sami cases in New York. We're finding them in the hinterlands, the Spokanes, the Springfield, Ill."

People in Moscow yesterday seemed intrigued by the invasion of anti-terror agents into the city. But Moscow's Muslims were in shock -- traumatized by the arrest of a man they know and respect.

No one heeded the 12:30 call to prayer at the local mosque yesterday.

Al-Hussayen's counterpart in nearby Pullman at Washington State University, Muslim Student Association president Irshad Altheimer, said the charges surprised him.

"It definitely caught me off guard," said Altheimer, a 25-year-old Muslim convert from Tacoma. "I know Sami well. He always meets me with a smile, and is always asking if he can help with things."

Altheimer said that Al-Hussayen, to his knowledge, did not harbor anti-U.S. or terrorist-sympathizing views. "After Sept. 11, Sami had been at the forefront of trying to get people to understand Islam," he said.

And one Muslim woman who lived a few doors away from Al-Hussayen, his wife and two little kids, pronounced herself "terrified."

"I am too scared. Maybe tomorrow they will come to my house."

Edited by MD_Willington

I stumbled on that group about a year ago.

Imagine my suprise when I Google Mapped their location and discovered they were about 5 miles from my house!!

I made a few calls to state and local law enforcement. They verified everything I was reading on the internet about the group.

I took a little ride by their compound. Lots of neighbors near this location. Most have very high fences around their yards. A few homes have the Stars & Bars flyin. I suspect that if anything was going on there, the neighbors would be able to handle it!!!

Edited by Displaced Yankee
Crappy thing is, if someone goes and wrecks their compound and finds an assload of IEDs, they'd probably arrest the person that trashed the place on hate crimes.

even though it is our civic duty... in the name of national security

they did declare war on us