I was looking for an inexpensive gun. I went to two different shops today and both said that the hi point actaully was a quality gun. I know this has been mentioned in threads before. I just need some advice on whether I should get a makarov or the high point for an "entry level" pistol shooter. I can say that it would be just a range gun. Some gun safety class. No CC. I would like to get a Steyr, Glock, or CZ 100 for a conceled carry in my pack later.

Thanks!

:osama::killer:

post-5283-1180060573.gif

Edited by Revelation

I had a hipoint 9mm, its an OK gun for plinkin but it has a problem with springs.

it wont chamber sometimes, it wont eject sometimes, it wont cycle sometimes, but it all comes back to the springs. If you call the factory they will send you some replacements free that usually take care of the problem. But make no mistake, IT IS NOT A DEFENSIVE FIREARM, IT LACKS RELIABILITY.

Since you intend to shoot handguns, learning with the first centerfire handgun you buy, I recommend the Makarov over the Hi Point.

I've shot a dozen Hi-Points, and they all function just fine for standard velocity ammunition. I find them heavy and awkward, but as has been said, they can be made to be relatively reliable. I don't believe any HiPoint can be made as reliable as a Makarov.

I've read of people who shoot Hi-Points a lot. Their carbines are wonderful bargains, even though they look like they were first issued on the Planet of the Apes. The carbine is the one Hi-Point I might keep.

The Makarov is a wonderfully reliable and, sometimes, accurate handgun.

I gave a pair of them in .380 along with a case of practice ammo to my son and his new wife. I shoot several of them in .380 and 9X18 myself. I prefer the original Makarov caliber, but since the kids don't know or care much about guns other than shooting them, the .380 version will better meet their needs during the next half century or so. I would never expect such longevity out of a Hi-Point.

You can learn with anything, but for handguns, where there are so many more variables than with rifle shooting, I'd recommend you start with a good .22. In pistols, it's hard to beat a Ruger semi-automatic. In revolvers, a nice Taurus model 94 with a four inch barrel should get you started nicely. The revolver will be quicker to get used to. The auto will give you better accuracy sooner.

If your only options are the Hi-Point or the Mak, I'd go with the Mak in the original caliber.

Check out makarov.com

Try a makarov, walther, or a bersa. Stay away from Hi Point! It is a giant POS of the highest order.

Thanks for the scoop. I found a makarov at a gun shop for 199. Looked pretty clean. the more I have read about them on this forum and others is encouraging. I just need the cash.

Thanks!

John

Edited by Revelation

check out the hipoint forums for more opinions: http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/ The people who call Hipoints junk and a P.O.S. are often people who have never handled one themselves. Hipoints have a lifetime warrantee regardless if you are the original owner or not. I would say this however, I don't own one. I thought about buying a carbine long and hard, but decided that if I were ever in a situation like Katrina- If my gun breaks, I'm not going two be able to send it out to ohio for repairs while the looters wait a week or two patiently while the manufacturer honors the warrantee, hence I purchased a Kalashnikov. If I ever decide I need a 9mm plinker, I will probably buy one.

I've had 2 hipoints a 9mm compact and the 45. 45 is way to bulky. the 9mm compact was ok for what it was "cheap" It didn't like the 10 round mags. both are a pain in the ass to strip down. If you do you can see that they are made very cheaply. Hence the lifetime warrenty. Really doesn't cost them much to replace or fix your gun. Safety is not the best and will get looser with time. way too easy for it to get bumped into fire. I bought the two together and thought wow 2 guns for the price of one. Later I sold the 2 and put the money toward a springfield 1911 much happier now.

I suggest a Mak or a CZ52 Like others said a .22 is a good and handy handgun to have too. Or maybe save your money and get something nicer.