WTK-opinions on making a .460 or .500 S&W AK

See what happens when I think of things!? :rolleyes:

I was wondering if it would be feasible to take 7.62x54r AK kit and rechamber it for like .460 or .500 S&W magnum.I do not have a sample of either round but am thinking if the rim diameters are close enough between these 2 and the 54r then bolt face mods should be minimal. Maybe mag mods not too bad either. Feed ramp mods???

Any way just 'mad scientist' thinking,I think it would probably make a kick ass brush gun in a 16 " barrel. :devil:

Opinions??

Man tony,never heard of the .444 Marlin Saiga-must be a cool Beast! Any Pics???? Did it work?

We are all just a bit askew here aren't we??? IIII LIKE IT!!! :super::super::super::super:

See what happens when I think of things!? :rolleyes:

I was wondering if it would be feasible to take 7.62x54r AK kit and rechamber it for like .460 or .500 S&W magnum.I do not have a sample of either round but am thinking if the rim diameters are close enough between these 2 and the 54r then bolt face mods should be minimal. Maybe mag mods not too bad either. Feed ramp mods???

Any way just 'mad scientist' thinking,I think it would probably make a kick ass brush gun in a 16 " barrel. :devil:

Opinions??

I earlier suggested a .50 Beowulf because of the rimless case. I thought it might be easier to get to work in a magazine.

COULD BE 'Mad' but it all depends if the work on the bolt face will work or if there is enough material to open it up. I was thinking of the 460 or 500 S/W due to it being 'readily available' compares to the 50 Beowulf..it would be nice to find a 'thumper' that will require minmum bolt work for the normak AK bolt.

.I saw a 6.8MM SPC AK74 for sale on the AKFiles the other day...looked good but needed some fine tuning on the ejector and extractor if I remember right...

I went to the store and measured with my trusted 'squint eye and tape measure' and the .500 SW rim diameter is between 1/2" and 9/16" OD-more like 19/32 and 9/16 and the 762x54r rim OD is sitting RIGHT at 9/16" so aside from rim thickness I think MINIMAL work is needed on the bolt face of a 54r bolt..BUT I need 1 of these in addition to a mag to start fiddling with it, then I would need a parts kit and a reciver...OH MY GOD<WHAT HAVE I STARTED!!! DAMN MY German Mad Scientist genes!!!!

The 460 SW rim sits at 1/2" OD and is too small for the 54r bolt and too big for the regular AK bolt

Another ? WHAT 54r chambered rifle kit and receiver(US) would be best a PSL,a Drag,and what receivers are AVAILABLE to build on or for that matter buy a rifle and THEN rechamber it?????????

this is fun, I need a job at a think tank or something....

COULD BE 'Mad' but it all depends if the work on the bolt face will work or if there is enough material to open it up. I was thinking of the 460 or 500 S/W due to it being 'readily available' compares to the 50 Beowulf..it would be nice to find a 'thumper' that will require minmum bolt work for the normak AK bolt.

.I saw a 6.8MM SPC AK74 for sale on the AKFiles the other day...looked good but needed some fine tuning on the ejector and extractor if I remember right...

I went to the store and measured with my trusted 'squint eye and tape measure' and the .500 SW rim diameter is between 1/2" and 9/16" OD-more like 19/32 and 9/16 and the 762x54r rim OD is sitting RIGHT at 9/16" so aside from rim thickness I think MINIMAL work is needed on the bolt face of a 54r bolt..BUT I need 1 of these in addition to a mag to start fiddling with it, then I would need a parts kit and a reciver...OH MY GOD<WHAT HAVE I STARTED!!! DAMN MY German Mad Scientist genes!!!!

The 460 SW rim sits at 1/2" OD and is too small for the 54r bolt and too big for the regular AK bolt

Another ? WHAT 54r chambered rifle kit and receiver(US) would be best a PSL,a Drag,and what receivers are AVAILABLE to build on or for that matter buy a rifle and THEN rechamber it?????????

this is fun, I need a job at a think tank or something....

.50 Beowulf is readily available here and costs about the same as the .500 s&w. I have seen one of the AR makers that makes an upper for your AR. You then use the standard .223 mags as single stack mags for the Beowulf round. The 30 223 will hold 10 Beowulf.

The 460 is a .45 caliber round and you can fire 45 Casull and 45LC through the Smith revolver. I have seen some of the small 410/45LC pistols that take both. The conversion of the S410 would probably be possible but you would bassically have a smooth bore musket.

Problem witth the 460 and 500 S&W rounds in an AK - Chamber pressure. Do some bolt thrust calculations.

The idea that handgun rounds are lower pressure than rifle rounds doesn't apply when combining the highest pressure revolver rounds with the lower pressure AK platform.

I concur of the Beowulf, Marlin, and Socom rounds. The 500 and 460 S&W are so danged expensive that these rounds really aren't bad by comparison.

The advantage of 460 S&W is an extremely powerful handgun round that allows trhe chambering of 45 colt and 454 casull as well. The 50 - well, I never really cared for it.

See now I know I am asking the right questions...regarding the chamber pressures and bolt thrust(I will be honest -have NO idea about that issue), a barrel custom made for this conversion SHOULD be able to be made to handle the chamber pressure(?) I have been looking at the .444 Marlin conversion and I think THAT round has to be up there on the pressures also...Just saw the first range report and all seems good so far, or am I missing something in the translation?

Is there a crucial difference between the 54r chambered AK 'family' of rifles-whether it is dragunozv,PSL,Tigr, and the couple different gas systems, and the systems as used in the S410-since a rechamber has alsready been performed on 1??

I am open to enlightenment.

Tony and I were talking about the Marlin conversion tonight- I think it would make a great pistol.

Since it's a Tromix product after the conversion this is not a problem, registration-wise.

Hey Bob,have to ask....is that how you look when you answer the door when a solicitor comes knocking????? :eek::eek::lolol::super:

On a serious note- since tony works on it it CAN be purchased as a 'regular' pistol? It actually changes classification that way also and so it would not even have to be an AOW?? OK, my mouth is drooling.... :super: