Spot Weld On Trigger Gaurd

I'm doing the conversion and try to keep the old trigger gaurd. I ran into a problem with drilling the spot weld on the trigger guard but have failed with cobalt drill bit. I doesn't seem to go anywhere. Any help on how to drill through spot well will be appriciated. Thanks.

I'm doing the conversion and try to keep the old trigger gaurd. I ran into a problem with drilling the spot weld on the trigger guard but have failed with cobalt drill bit. I doesn't seem to go anywhere. Any help on how to drill through spot well will be appriciated. Thanks.

Am I to assume that you have not got it to break free fom the plate yet? I had the same problem and I ended up taking a grinder and grinding on the inside (at the weld) of the plate until the trigger guard broke loose from the plate.

I had to break off the main bottom plate and then remove it from the trigger guard by bench grinding the backside down.

I guess you could heat treat the metal to remove some of the hardness.

If your are drilling in the right direction something must be wrong...

I use a cobalt bit and go slowwwww (like in the #1 setting of a cordless drill meant for installing screws) Minme has no problem at all cutting right thru the center of the spotweld. To remove the TG from the plate, drive a cold chisel, from the rear, between the TG and plate to pop it off.

I finally got it done. You wouldn't believe how hard the spot weld is. I went through 3 cobalt drill bits .....I don't know what they use for spot weld. I know how to drill in different material with different drill bits, but the is the hardest thing I have ever drilled.

I use a cobalt bit and go slowwwww (like in the #1 setting of a cordless drill meant for installing screws) Minme has no problem at all cutting right thru the center of the spotweld. To remove the TG from the plate, drive a cold chisel, from the rear, between the TG and plate to pop it off.

I didn't have any trouble either. I used the cobalt bit in the drill press on slow speed and it cut through like butter.

I didn't have any trouble either. I used the cobalt bit in the drill press on slow speed and it cut through like butter.

No trouble here on several conversions using titanium nitrite bits.

You wouldn't believe how hard the spot weld is.

Wrong. I used brand new cobalt bits, running slow, in a drill press, with appropriate lubricants. I went through multiple bits, without much progress. I ended up swapping to a Dremel tool (the WECSOGer's best friend ;>) with a diamond-studded bit of some sort, and worked that weld down until I got the trigger guard free (in fine shape to reuse).

I agree - that spot weld was an absolute SOB. It was the hardest part of the conversion for me (even more difficult than threading the muzzle).

Just my experience - obviously, your mileage may vary...

;>)