hey, cool pic, care to elaborate on it? i.e. Were these issued to you, how did you come to turn that m2 into a pistol, were you an armorer? I love the carbines, my old man has one, I shot the hell out of it as a kid, the M2 always intrigued me...

The carbines were... borrowed... from the local PF's... Popular Forces. They were intended to be a militia to guard the villages, in actuality they provided a good day job for the local VC. They were issued WW2 armamant.. BAR's , Garands, Thompson's, M1&2 Carbines.... The BARs and Garands they would give you for free, they were too big and bulky for their stature. The Thompson's they sold for BIG money, it's an incredible gun. The Carbines went for a pack or two of cigarettes, which was about 20-30 cents.

The cut down M2 was done by a navy armorer, he had a shop on a Navy barge and since we used the Navy PBRs for transportation, we got to know those guys... The pistol conversion was an attempt to get a high capacity backup piece I could carry in a pocket. I tried having a fatigue pants pocket stitched down the middle so the thing would fit tightly and not flip around but gave up on the carbine idea and got a Browning Hi-power.

I was fortunate in that there were only certain times I was required to carry an M-16. Mainly when we had to keep up the morale of our South Vietnamese allies. The rest of the time I could carry what I wanted and had no restrictions on drawing ammo. AK's work ( but then you all know that ), 16's don't.. it wasn't a hard decision to make.

I'm glad you liked the picture......

Hey thanks for the story. I'm a history buff and a gun collector so I love that stuff...

Ditto, thanks for the story.

BTW, I pimped out my Saginaw M1 Carbine with a replica Paratrooper folding stock, an Ultimak and a Hakko red dot sight.

Edited by DaGroaner
Speaking of tactical, I found some "Tactical Underwear". They're guaranteed to make you 45% more tactical. A must if you don't have a tactical sling or flashlight on your gun.

do they count as a compliant part??? LOL!!

My luck they will be LEO only

I have a few firearms with some unnecessary accessories on them, why not if its fun. Any of my dedicated self defense weapons though are in pretty near stock configuration. I figure if I ever need to use them, jim-bobs grandmother will be on the jury armchair quarterbacking my actions to no end.

Some of the accessories for sale crack me up though, like that window breaker that goes on the Glock's rail.

How about this? It even has a "tactical sling"!! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

But I'm sure there's still room for something else...

WTF

For some reason that rifle reminds of the skydiving instructor that got so wrapped up in getting his camera gear ready for a jump that he forgot his parachute and jumped to his death.

How about this? It even has a "tactical sling"!! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

But I'm sure there's still room for something else...

WTF

OMG That is just a bit over the top. I just dont get the long range scope with a flashlight and then a red dot?!!

In large part I, personally, agree with xberet. For me, that is. I look at handguns that have been equipped (pimped out) with laser sights, etc, and they become too heavy, too unbalanced for me. Just fine for someone else -- just not fine for me. Same holds true -- for me -- about rifles and shotguns. Too many gimcracks and doo-dads and the piece becomes too heavy and awkward for me to comfortably use. Remember the XM-18? A favorite to replace the M-16/M-4 family of firearms in the Army and capable of almost anything, it finally lost out because in order to be able to do just about anything and everything it bloated to a total weight of over 18 pounds!!!! And anyone photo'd using it looked like they were shoulderinga rifle whose stock had a 2"x12" plank as the basic design. The Army finally came to it's collective senses and realized it was too damned heavy and awkward for the typical soldier -- regardless of gender -- to actually use in the real world.

Now for the kicker... The other day at Cobra's den I saw a little carbine I'd tried a couple of years back. It was a 9mm High-Point carbine. 'Underwhelmed' would describe how I felt about it back then. When I saw it the other day, though, it had been 'pimped' or 'tacticallized' with a couple of simple mods: a new stock and a red dot sight and --voila! -- suddenly, the dimiuntive 9 mm High-Power became something I wanted!

Getting a firearm can, indeed, make the firearm more effective. Sure, it can! If having mods done to your weapon makes you feel more confident in using it WTSHTF, then it (actually, you) will become more effective.

If you look at photos I posted some time back about the mods I've done to my S-.410, you might wonder if any had been done at all. They are mostly fairly subtle mods and not easily noticed if you didn't know they had been done. But now I am far more effective with it than I am with any of my rifles! I can actually put slugs -- whether Barnaul or Brenneke -- into a 2"w x 4"h silouette at 50 yards. Why? Because the S-.410 'fits' me and feels like a part of me. It didn't before. Prior to that, it was a 'neat' little shotgun but it wasn't really 'me'.

Wanna mod your shottie or rifle? Have at it! You'll love it when it's done and we'll all love hearing about it and seeing the results!

Edited by Aethelbert
Maybe Tromix will hold a contest and the winner gets to have his rifle/shotgun pimped. :)

"Pimp My Firearm"... now that would be sweet. Maybe purple flames and some goldleaf to top it off?

This could lend a whole new meaning to "Payback" (on Speed)!