Bought a Walther P22 this week. Decided i wanted a cheap shooting fun gun. that seems to fit the bill. Read a lot of post about it, most enjoy it, but many have trouble with extraction, and need some semi quick mods off the bat.

Not had a chance to shoot it yet, but i look at it this way.....i had gift cards to use, and i got a fun plinker with laser sight to mess with, if it needs some little mods...that is fine....i almost enjoy tinkering with my guns as much as shooting them.

Anyone with experience with the p22?.....love to hear your thoughts!

thanks

My buddy has one that I borrow all the time to go plinkin'. (A GOOD buddy!) His will FTF or FTE when it's dirty, but you gotta remember how light that spring is. Not a big deal to me, not like I'm using it for self defense. I have fun with it, and get to shoot 500 rounds a day vs. 100 rounds of .45. I think I need to bite the bullet and buy a .22 conversion for the 1911.

I do not own one, but I have shot one plenty, when dirty, they jam alot, but they are still fun. Shot one the other day with a Tactical Innovations Tac 22 can on it. It was fun to say the least. Shot it indoors (not at a range) and it could barely be heard by people in the other room that were listening for it. The other's didn't even know I'd fired a shot. They have a package deal for the gun and a can for around 500 plus the 200 stamp.

One more thing, if you get a barrel extension + "compensator" (the type that the compensator is seperate from the slide), don't be disappointed when you can't hit sh&t. The compensator also holds the front sight, and it is not rigidly mounted, so there is about 1/16" of left and right play. Stupid design IMHO.

Shane

One more thing, if you get a barrel extension + "compensator" (the type that the compensator is seperate from the slide), don't be disappointed when you can't hit sh&t. The compensator also holds the front sight, and it is not rigidly mounted, so there is about 1/16" of left and right play. Stupid design IMHO.

Shane

lol....i figured that one out looking at them in the store, then went with the short barrel. Hell this thing is a plinker....

i have a scoped buckmark that will shoot squirrels eyes out at 50 yards...should i have the urge to be so mean.....

while the can and stamp are interesting - i think it would be far too tempting to try to shoot in my backyard if i had that.....thus i will skip....lol

I bought one 2 weeks ago, and it has a AR .223 bird cage flash hider on the end, looks cool as hell. Screwed off the barrel nut, screwed on the adapter and ready to shoot. Shot it at night just to see if it made a flash, little bitty one comes out the slots. Next will be a can

Bought a Walther P22 this week. Decided i wanted a cheap shooting fun gun. that seems to fit the bill. Read a lot of post about it, most enjoy it, but many have trouble with extraction, and need some semi quick mods off the bat.

Not had a chance to shoot it yet, but i look at it this way.....i had gift cards to use, and i got a fun plinker with laser sight to mess with, if it needs some little mods...that is fine....i almost enjoy tinkering with my guns as much as shooting them.

Anyone with experience with the p22?.....love to hear your thoughts!

thanks

I have one and it is a lot of fun to shoot. While it looks like a P99 type gun the operation is different, so if you're used to a P99 (I own three P99 type guns) you won't find it a good way to train cheaply. But, it's a great little gun. The only time I have experienced malfunctions (FTF, FTE) is when I'm firing lighter rounds. It really needs hyper velocity rounds, especially early on up to the 500 round mark or more (from what I'm told) when it should shoot better with lighter rounds. With CCI Mini-Mags my reliability has 'been flawless in terms of cycling with maybe 300 rounds (which, I admit, isn't a a lot.) Forget about Winchester White box. They performed miserably with lots of both FTF and FTE. Yellow Jackets are much better. Maybe when the gun is broken in the cheaper stuff will work. My P22 is only approaching 500 rounds, a drop in the bucket for a .22, so it should begin to handle a wide variety of ammo. I like Min-Mags a lot so I'm fine with it as it is. I should shoot it more than I do.

Enjoy. If you have relaibility troubles with it give it some time to break in. Stick with the "hotter" rounds and you should be fine. Like I said, CCI Min-Mags are perfect for the gun and I think Walther even recommends them.

I agree with Buzz, I bought 3 500-bricks of Aguila subsonics for the thing. I got the 20's, 40's, and 60's. The 40's cycle sometimes, but the 60's cycle every shot, and the 20's have no chance. I figure after some break-in the 40's will function normally, and I assume full power 40's would be cycling every shot. Oh actually now I think about it I had a few full power .22's laying around that did cycle it normally. After that brick of 60's, I assume this thing is going to be shooting sweet. Matches my p990l already.

i read a while back that Stingers and velociters were a good way to break in a p22

not going to shoot it until i clean up those trigger arms per the tutorial by 1911 over on RFC.

I'm a patient man.....just need time to work on it. 2 weeks until grad school ends....woohoo!

My buddy has one that I borrow all the time to go plinkin'. (A GOOD buddy!) His will FTF or FTE when it's dirty, but you gotta remember how light that spring is. Not a big deal to me, not like I'm using it for self defense. I have fun with it, and get to shoot 500 rounds a day vs. 100 rounds of .45. I think I need to bite the bullet and buy a .22 conversion for the 1911.

I have an Advantage Arms .22 kit for my Glock 27. My Glock is now my favorite .22. It never jams if I use Rem Golden Saber or CCI Mini-mags or Stingers but lots of the old .22 ammo I have lying around fails to do one thing or another in it. I pretty much stick to the Remy stuff cause it's cheap, accurate and reliable. My sons are each hitting me up for a P22. The 15 year-old wants the Carbon Fiber and my 11 year-old wants Desert Camo. I think they're going to get their wish.