Ar15 mags in a Saiga? What am I missing?

Hi everyone. New to the forums here.

I recently sold of all my firearms except my AR15.

I want to start over with a standardized choice of calibers. So I'm looking at a Saiga .223 with 16" barrel. I will probably convert it to a folder of some sort.

The rub is that I have a BUNCH of AR15 30 round magazines and would love to be able to use them.

I spent the past week reading through this forum and it seems that I can use them, but that there would be some modifications. Before I jump in and buy the saiga, I would like to get some input from the folks that are most familiar with the system AKA S12 forum members!

What would I have to do to a Saiga .223 to make it work with AR15 magazines - reliably?

Is the Saiga chamberesd for .223, 5.56x45 or Wylde?

Local store has them for under $300 - is this acceptable?

Thanks in advance

What would I have to do to a Saiga .223 to make it work with AR15 magazines - reliably?

Is the Saiga chamberesd for .223, 5.56x45 or Wylde?

Local store has them for under $300 - is this acceptable?

You'd have to find a Galil AR15 mag adaptor and probably send your saiga out for fitting.

.223 Remington and 5.56x45 are dimensionally identical. The Saiga is chambered 'officially' for .223 Remington.

You can get them online for around $250. Figure in shipping costs and FFL transfer fee to get your best deal.

Edited by nalioth

After doing a lot of reading, I've decided to go with Galil mags and just get a bullet guide. It is too much material to take off an already skinny receiver. I'm not scared of doing it - I just want a rifle that is 100% reliable and will last a very long time.

Thanks for the help everyone - I like the prefessional, yet casual manner on the forums here....not as in your face and agro as on some other forums out there.

I just bought my saiga and am also looking into magazine options. I live in maryland and am having problems finding 20 rd or less .223 mags so I'm thinking about the galil m-16 converter. I would rather mod the adapter then the receiver because I'm worried about screwing it up. Has anyone moded the adapter to fit? Also about how much would it cost to have it done professionally? And who does them?

Thanks