Heat Shield For Handguard

Just an idea...your thoughts on this.

I was thinking using this tape to tape inside of my Saiga handguard to prevent heat transfer to the handguard in rapid fire session. I'll go to HomeDepot and Lowes to see if they sell them later. If they don't sell them in small quantity, I will look for something similar that they sell in small quantity.

Filberflect

Edited by devildog1122

I was thinking using this tape to tape inside of my Saiga handguard to prevent heat transfer to the handguard in rapid fire session. I'll go to HomeDepot and Lowes to see if they sell them later. If they don't sell them in small quantity, I will look for something similar that they sell in small quantity.

Filberflect

yeah, that kinda cool. how much is it ?

Filberflect

yeah, that kinda cool. how much is it ?

I found this which I think would serve just as well. Its 15 bucks for 1.5inX 15ft. and you could just cut it to fit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Edit: Might help if i add the link

Edited by Optimus Matrix

Filberflect

I thought part of the idea of having a barrel covered was to help pull heat away from the barrel to keep it from overheating. I may be totally wrong about this but I know they had to change machine gun barrels when they got too hot.

I do know that my barrel on my SKS has gotten hot enough to burn my hand.

Maybe someone else knows at what temperature the point of impact can be affected by heat in the barrel.

I am probably "way off" on this one.

louielouie

There is nothing you can do about barrel heating up in rapid fire session. The idea is to use this tape to tape inside of the handguard to prevent the handuard from melting.

Hey Optimus Matrix, do you know if Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts sell that tape?

Edited by devildog1122
There is nothing you can do about barrel heating up in rapid fire session. The idea is to use this tape to tape inside of the handguard to prevent the handuard from melting.

Hey Optimus Matrix, do you know if Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts sell that tape?

Devil I think what louie is trying to say is that by letting the heat dissipate through the hg you're basically reflecting it all back onto the barrel. Is there such thing as some silicone spray that is not reflective yet doesn't heat up. Just like those silicone oven mitts. That gives me an idea. Is there room inbetween the barrel and the hg to place a few strips of a cut up mitt? I'm pretty sure that would work seeing how those mitts can take temps up to 500 degrees and I don't think a barrel gets that hot.

uhh...handguard melting? I dumped a 75 rd drum outta my saiga couple weekends ago. The cheesy cheap US handguard set didn't melt. If you guys can afford to shoot many more rounds than that back to back, you can afford new handguards

also, my hand heals...the barrel not so much

just my .2

IIRC, over at Pero's old CETME site, we had plans for the combination of both, i.e. vent the handguard for the heat to escape (the ones from Century had a pattern in the HG already), and add a heat shield to protect the cheap @$$ handguard from melting. I never did it, but I remember reading how pleased everyone was who did it.

Edited by Ax-Man
Yes, glove would protect your hand in extreme heat transfer, but I don't think I'll ever get to that point. I just want to tape it to protect the handguard from melt down.

Well, I put about 100 rounds through my Lancaster AK last weekend and the handguard (eastern European wood) was hot enough to be uncomfortable. I have a vertical grip on my Saiga, so it's not an issue with that.

It didn't help that wheil I was clering a jam, my weak hand got about 1/2 inch too far forward -- and I have the second degree burn on my finger to prove it.

From now on, I'll be wearing heat-resistant gloves when I'm shooting my rifles. I don't think the handguard will ever get hot enough to burn me, but it doesn't take long to get uncomfortable and it's way too easy to get your hand in the wrong place.

Jim