Bought 4 boxes of "what I was told" was Hungarian 7.62x54r. It has a headstamp of '02, and the guy told me it was safe and reloadable. I have a LGS that will reload what he calls "7N14HP" which is his version of 7N14, measured the exact same but in Hollow Point (For the piggies!). I can save $11 per box of 20 rounds if I bring the brass, so: 4 questions, has anyone used it? Is it actually reloadable? Has anyone used it in a PSL/ROMAK/SSG? Is it safe?

Hi

I had some Hungarian 7.62x54r and it had a yellow bullet tip denoting 182grain type d heavy ball, it was a steel case with a copper wash , same goes for the bullet and i fired some in my Dragunov and the pressure was high, it blew the firing pin dent flat. Needless to say i pulled the bullets and removed 10% of the powder, the powder by the way was dead on 46.6 grains if i remember correctly, very consistant charges.

just my experience

assassin

Thanks assassin,

This stuff is brass cased and the guy had a spec sheet on it. I know it was light ball, but I can't remember how many grain. Maybe 147 or something. But I guess if you say the charge was consistant, I will assume all hungarian is consistant and go give her a "shot".

Thanks

I had one bad batch of Hungarian yellow ring, but it was the heavier (182 gr) load. The problem is in the primers, not the powder. Isn't 7ZN1 the sniper stuff?

Just a personal side note....if the factory didn't load it, or me...I usually won't shoot it.

I had one bad batch of Hungarian yellow ring, but it was the heavier (182 gr) load. The problem is in the primers, not the powder. Isn't 7ZN1 the sniper stuff?

Just a personal side note....if the factory didn't load it, or me...I usually won't shoot it.

7N1 is sniper ammo designed for the SVD.

Thought 7N1 was 5.45x39

I bought a can of 7N1 from Outdoor Marksman. It is 7.62x54R.

I passed up on a can at 60.00...because I didn't know what I was looking at and saw a can of Hungarian for 39.99 and was happy with it. I did make up for it the next time I went into the shop and I bought some of the bundles of the 7N1...just in case that SVD shows up in my safe

Edited by scoutjoe
I bought a can of 7N1 from Outdoor Marksman. It is 7.62x54R.

Yep, I remember now, when I was "over there" I found it for like 23.00 a box on that site. Still kicking myself in the ass for not buying any.

You wouldn't believe how much of that shit you find there, and you can't take 1 round home. I'm going to try to get a self-de-milled parts kit through the proper channels next time.

The guy reloading the ammo is super-sharp, but sometimes just a little off-base. I think I told the story before of his 8,000.00 dollar PSL.

Edited by shaneman153a

justa quick note. all 7.62x54r surplus ammo is corrosive and most likely boxer primed. you can get more info on that stuff at sites like

http://mosinnagant.net/i3tro4.asp

or from this guy,

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

sorry if they arent clickable, I really suck at html.

ps. alot of info on surplus c&r firearms can be found at those great guys at "gunboards.com"

The stunning conclusion -

I took the ammo to a guy who really knows his shit. He took a 2 second look at the box, smiled and said "made with pride in the USA". He says we make it for special ops and for export to allies who shoot it. After a few years, it's given back to us and we decide it was "stored improperly", and surplus it out. He says it's good brass, boxer primed, and you can tell it's been reloaded. Clean shooting, etc.

Any validity to this?

+1 on all being corrosive. I just treat it all as if it is, even if I know it isn't.

He says we make it for special ops and for export to allies who shoot it.

post-1914-1185718474.gif

I'll admit that I know shit, but that seems like a hell of a stretch, who all uses 7.62x54r other than the Russkies? Pakistan? maybe some of the Eastern Block but the standard round for them is the x39 isn't it?

and with all that 7N1 that came over from Russia? why make brand new ammo if the surplus was sitting around?

my .02

I've carried IA troops who used the ammo, and if they were under OPCON of US Army, they most certainly wouldn't let them use imported surplus. They still use that caliber in their heavy MG's. I've never seen the 54r ammo they use, but the x45, x39, and 9mm ammo was commercial S&B.

I dunno though, I'm thinkin I should post the headstamp on the "sniper rifle forum", there's a lot of mosin and PSL fans on that site, maybe they would have seen it before.

Hehe, something I noticed while taking photos, if it was us made, it would say "7.62x54R", not "7,62x54r". Also, US crimps their primers. I love the bullshit meter, I'm saving it!!

I'm shooting it, fuck it.

post-2098-1185730997_thumb.jpg

post-2098-1185731025_thumb.jpg

shaneman~

I hope You are still around when I get back to Hood. I rather enjoyed firing a few outta your PSL. Had me thinkin I might purchase one. Or maybe one of these.

Zastava M76 8MM

zastava M76

Or one of these. M93 Black Arrow....but .50BMG is fuggin insane on ammo lately :rolleyes:

M93

Just want something unique...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few types .....I have the stuff Shanan has...good stuff. Nice because it's non-corrosive but costs quite a bit more I believe from Winchester and reloadable. Recently I purchased some copper coated steel spitzer point Russian from 1985. The place I got it is out of it. Shoots as good as the Winchester and was a lot cheaper. The only Hungarian I've shot is the silver tip stuff. Not bad but sometimes you can hear the powder difference and you'll get a shot 6 to 8" out. For 10Cents a round though, it's hard to pass up.