well looks like the tutorial site is down. anyone have it saved?

Maybe, I might have it on my other machine. I am compulsive about that kind of thing normally. Hopefully I was this time.

As to the site. It could just be a server problem. Hopefully so.

Maybe one of our vets who is about to do a conversion can do a pictorial walkthrough for our own sticky. We have a few that are helpful, but they're always doing something extravegant. Seems no one has done a www.forum.saiga-12.com sponsored walkthrough on a BASIC conversion. Maybe if we had a detailed one it would encourage more of our noobs to do their own conversion. I'm afraid I don't have the experience (I've done two, and read a lot of shit here, but I'm no expert) or the funds to buy another one.

I just told my wife it was my duty to buy a new Saiga and do a pictorial walkthrough on a basic conversion. It didn't work!! :lolol:

"Nice try"

Maybe one of our vets who is about to do a conversion can do a pictorial walkthrough for our own sticky. We have a few that are helpful, but they're always doing something extravegant. Seems no one has done a www.forum.saiga-12.com sponsored walkthrough on a BASIC conversion. Maybe if we had a detailed one it would encourage more of our noobs to do their own conversion. I'm afraid I don't have the experience (I've done two, and read a lot of shit here, but I'm no expert) or the funds to buy another one.

I just told my wife it was my duty to buy a new Saiga and do a pictorial walkthrough on a basic conversion. It didn't work!! :lolol:

"Nice try"

+1000

I have not yet mustered the balls to do a conversion, :lolol: .

Cobra's is a little more than basic, but the FCG/PG part applies. It's stickied.

Yeah, between his and the cross-conn one, that's how I did mine. Still it would be nice to have a basic one. Maybe SOMEONE (Dinzag) could bust one out on his next go-'round. :rolleyes:

Cobra's is a little more than basic, but the FCG/PG part applies. It's stickied.

Yeah, between his and the cross-conn one, that's how I did mine. Still it would be nice to have a basic one. Maybe SOMEONE (Dinzag) could bust one out on his next go-'round. :rolleyes:

It's super easy .22 shooter, just got to dig in and do it. I can't imagine many ways you could screw it up. The only thing I screwed up on my first, was getting impatient and forcing things. Got a couple scratches that are easy to fix.

It's super easy .22 shooter, just got to dig in and do it. I can't imagine many ways you could screw it up. The only thing I screwed up on my first, was getting impatient and forcing things. Got a couple scratches that are easy to fix.

Concur 1000%! The hardest part is taking the drill to that first rivet. Once you do, it's all downhill!

There are a couple of little things I learned along the way -- like the fact that pistol grips usually come with the screw but not the grip nut. I had to wait an extra week to get one. If I had known, I would have included one on an order and saved myself some shipping!

I have a PDF version of the Cross-conn tutorial - I just don't know how/where to post it. I made it so it would be easier to print out and have on the workbench with me while I was converting. I think it covers about 90% - there are a couple of holes (like reinstalling the BHO) that need to be filled in. Otherwise, you should be in good shape following those directions.

Just go for it!

Jim

I know, I know, I need to do it. My main concern isn't following written directions or anything, it's the tool availability. Can it be done with JUST a drill as far as power tools? I might be getting a Dremel soon for other reasons, so that might help.

I know, I know, I need to do it. My main concern isn't following written directions or anything, it's the tool availability. Can it be done with JUST a drill as far as power tools? I might be getting a Dremel soon for other reasons, so that might help.

Get a small $30-$40 drill press and a small machinist's vise at harbor freight and a few carbide end mills. (1/8", 3/16" & 1/4") A drill will work, but you will eliminate 90% of the work versus drying to drill. A small bench vise would help too.

If you need the end mills, email me. I buy them in bulk and can get them fairly cheap. I will be offering some soon on my website for the do-it-yourselfers as well. Good USA made ones.

I did mine with a flat tip, a hand drill, a vise, dremel, needle file set, and a stick of beezwax.

Lessons learned, get a punch set (easier to knock shit out), center punch, and cold chisel. (Bought a set with all that shit for $30 at Home Depot)

• 2 weeks later...