OK, I'm going to be getting either a CZ-82(9mm Mak) or a CZ-83 (.380). I've got my C&R, so I was going to get the -82 with it. Only problem is 9mm Mak is pretty hard to find locally for a decent price. The -83 is at a local shop, NIB, for almost twice the price of the -82, but we've got .380 ammo everywhere. Question is, which should I get? I like the NIB .380 a bit better than a used 9mm Mak, but the 82 is nearly $200 cheaper. What's a boy to do?

What I did was to order two CZ 82s from AIM. I did that because there weren't any extra magazines on the market at the time, and I planned to keep the better pistol and three magazines.

Both guns were in wonderful shape with really good triggers. I ended up keeping them both and finding a couple of extra magazines at a gun show.

Last I checked, 9X18 was available for about $170/K for the cheap blasting stuff, hollowpoints and higher-tech ammo cost about the same as .380 equivalent. If you've got doubts about shipping expense, use Ammoman. Eric tells you the total cost, including shipping, up front: http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

I'd rather have the 9X18 because it seems more satisfying to me to have the arms that were held by those who could have been my enemies if there'd been a shootin' war while I was on active duty. Also, the 9X18 is a slightly more powerful round. There are enough guns of that caliber in the States now that ammo should be readily available for years to come, IMO.

So, I say, order your 82, save on the transfer expenses enough to defray some of the cost for a case of 82 fodder and live it up!

Mine shoot Wolf FMJ, Silver Bear hollowpoints, CCI Blazer FMJ and Bernaul hollowpoints just fine.

Replace that CZ-83, the one you sold me is one of my favorite range guns now. It is one of the most accurate guns i have ever shot and just plain fun to shoot. Maybe because it is so accurate. Or buy one now and one later. CZ's seem to be like the Saiga buy one and you're likely to buy another. I think maybe i need an 82---

• 1 month later...

just got the CZ-82, centerfire systems has them for $200 and occasionally has free shipping, i got the deal so for all of $200 i got it delivered at home - it is in good to very good condition - feels nice, may end up getting it duracoated to address a few bare metal spots on the frame.

either way i like it. Now i just gotta go shoot it!

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with the 9x18MAK.

I've been trying to find the right pistol for my wife over the last year. I've bought several different things to try. I keep ending up back with a 9mm (9x19 Parabellum). The .380 and 9x18 Mak calibers come in blow back style of operation. The blowback style of operation is a bit snappy compared to 9x19parabellum...........IMHO. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 9mm/.38spl/.357magnum. it has by far the least recoil of any 9mm I have tried. Really fun to shoot too! Its like shooting a ruger .22lr pistol.

Not sure that recoil is an issue for you, but it is for my wife.

Anyhow I'll let you know how my new CZ75B Stainless Steel Shoots in a week or so! Its so pretty!

YUP...CZ-82 all the way. You're getting .38 special performance out of the 9x18 Mak. Buy the Barnaul Silver Bear Hollow Point ammo (www.aimsuplus.com) has it somtimes. Fixed barrel, very accurate. Pushed hundreds of rounds with zero problems. You can buy Hornady loads for it if it's a carry/house gun. Worth every penny.

YUP...CZ-82 all the way. You're getting .38 special performance out of the 9x18 Mak. Buy the Barnaul Silver Bear Hollow Point ammo (www.aimsuplus.com) has it somtimes. Fixed barrel, very accurate. Pushed hundreds of rounds with zero problems. You can buy Hornady loads for it if it's a carry/house gun. Worth every penny.

just got my brick of silver bear this week......looks like nice ammo...... i like the gun too, not shot it yet though......damn range is booked for deer hunting sight in clinics each weekend right now......oh well.....soon!

• 1 month later...