Beryl-style scope mount

A while back there was a thread on the beryl-style scope mount and someone mentioned the addition of an insert nut and machine screw combination to relieve the abuse to the rear stock screw; removing the screw to allow the mount to pivot up and allow for regular field-stripping and cleaning.

Well I finally got to Lowe's and picked up the following:

post-4394-1187058742_thumb.jpg

10-24 wood insert nut (in brass)

10-24 x 3/4 machine screw

I enlarged the rear stock screw hole to 1/4" and discovered a mistake. Brass is too soft for the TAPCO plastic stocks. I broke both of them trying to screw them in. After screwing in a 12-24 screw from the opposite end to straighten out the insert, I threaded a 10-24 screw all the way in and used it to thread the insert into the stock.

post-4394-1187058970_thumb.jpg

I then reinserted the stock into the receiver and reinstalled the front stock screw to check alignment (looks OK):

post-4394-1187059091_thumb.jpg

I then reinstalled the recoil assembly and cover, still OK:

post-4394-1187059241_thumb.jpg

Then I installed the Beryl mount, huh...

post-4394-1187059305_thumb.jpg

It didn't look too good at first. but after adding the 10-24 screw, it looked OK and tightened down very tight:

post-4394-1187059384_thumb.jpg

I then removed the screw and spray painted it to match the rifle (cheap grill paint).

post-4394-1187059484_thumb.jpg

While I had the stock apart, I thought I'd try to insert the cleaning kit back into the stock as originally intended. It seemed easy enough. . .

post-4394-1187059581_thumb.jpg

post-4394-1187059616_thumb.jpg

Now, it does prevent the use of the shortest position of the stock, but here it is reassembled:

post-4394-1187059683_thumb.jpg

And, yes, that is a QD swivel screwed into the side of the stock. I wanted a 1-point sling attachment point and the one I made under the stock wasn't working for me.

I hope someone can use this info. . .

Ax-Man

Edited by Ax-Man

Can you post a side view of the mount on the gun. Also, when you say Beryl style, where did you find the mount...I may have a need.

Edit, thanks for the pictures. I saw those on Copes sight. Are you happy with it , pretty solid?

Edited by 6500rpm

Nice! Looks good, I had been wondering if anyone had done this yet.

Now you need to find or make a cam locking screw for that puppy so you dont need any tools to strip it. I have wanted to do this for a while, but I still haven't got around to buying one of those mounts.

Good work. :up:

Nice! Looks good, I had been wondering if anyone had done this yet.

Now you need to find or make a cam locking screw for that puppy so you dont need any tools to strip it. I have wanted to do this for a while, but I still haven't got around to buying one of those mounts.

Good work. :up:

krebs has got a cam-lock in the works... not cheap

• 2 months later...

DPHarms and Cope's are asking the same price, $69.95 ea, so shipping will be the only variable there. I originally had purchased a low-rise mount from Tantal, or whomever it is out of Canada, and was using a red-dot optic. After actually using it on a pig hunt I realized I needed some magnification. I purchased a 6x32 Leapers / UTG scope and with the short eye relief and the way the scope was designed I found the rail on the low-rise to be way too short. I bought the Beryl-style mount and it solved my problem. Now, if I want, I can remove the 6x32 and put on my red-dot mounted up near the rear gas / sight base as well. It offers more flexibility that the other type of mounts.

I haven't needed to remove it, since I haven't shot it since the initial outing to zero the 6x32, so I can't really speak to any wear and tear issues. The brass was too soft installing the inserts, so I broke one side off of the slot, but it remained usable and is tight in the stock. It has remained tight and there is no wobble or loosening of anything so far. . .

anyone know where the Beryl mount is available these days? I've looked with no luck

I did a google search and it looks like DPH still has them.

Scroll towards the bottom of the page.

http://dpharms.com/ak47-accessories-c-37.html

Hope that helps.

it does gunny, thanks!

i had been looking on copes but thought they were out.

thanks all.