Alright so a friend of a friend decided he wanted an AK. I thought he got a good deal till I was told about a week later that it was only a single stack, instead of a double stack.

Now is this something that can be fixed with a bit of dremel-fu, ie cutting and grinding out the magwell?

Right I know about the 922r game, technically its a Romak 99.1. I've yet to see it in person so I'm going off a cell phone pic and a brief description.

maybe i'm sped, but is this the same as opening up the magwell for the drums? That wasn't hard I just want to make sure I know what i'm doing before i start cutting

But that is all i'm doing, removing enough material from the magwell to make a double stack lock in and feed? No other mods like a bolt or carrier swaps?
Nope. Just mind the 922r :)

Yup I'm all over that no need to post-1914-1187213749.gif the alphabet agency anymore than needed

You may need to add supports to the inside of the receiver? WASR's (atleast the century ones) don't have dimpled receivers. Instead, they have shims spot welded to the inside area where the dimple usually is, for side to side support. This may already be on the single stack builds??? Just thought I'd throw that in, in the event that they aren't.

You may need to add supports to the inside of the receiver? WASR's (atleast the century ones) don't have dimpled receivers. Instead, they have shims spot welded to the inside area where the dimple usually is, for side to side support. This may already be on the single stack builds??? Just thought I'd throw that in, in the event that they aren't.

All the high-cap WASRs I've seen have the remnants of the mag guide (for the single stack mag) left inside the mag well. If he cuts it right, he might have the tightest magwell in a WASR of anyone :smoke:

Edited by nalioth

I've done a couple, I currently have a $229 5.45x39 single that's gonna get opened up.

I've just done the magwell and all was good. Mine didn't have anything inside that prohibited double stacks.

The mags also didn't wobble. Just take your time and do not remove too much or you will need side plates inside.

I've done a couple, I currently have a $229 5.45x39 single that's gonna get opened up.

I've just done the magwell and all was good. Mine didn't have anything inside that prohibited double stacks.

The mags also didn't wobble. Just take your time and do not remove too much or you will need side plates inside.

i have done 3, and the two 7.62x39s and the 5.45x39 have tabs on the inside that DO need to be trimed for the mag to seat. i used a dremel and a grinding bit. noway a cutoffwheel is getting in there. it was easy though.

Edited by GunsRfun