Saiga 12 in USPSA Competition

Recently purchased a Saiga 12 for 3 Gun competition. I am looking to prepare this gun, mags and obtain suggestions for mag pouches. If anyone is using a Saiga 12 in USPSA competition, I would appreciate any ideas or experience. I am tired of using speed loader tubes with only 4 rds. at a pop. Also looking for any input on how well the Saiga 12 patterns without a choke at targets up to 25 yds. All of our matches in area 6 are not usually over 25 yds unless we are shooting combined shot and slug stages which can go out to 40 yds.

Look for Topmaul -- he's our resident 3-gun expert! He runs his S12 with the 10-rd AGP mags and a Russian vest (he started a thread recently that shows his set up)

I plan on starting in 3-gun myself soon. I picked up an SKD Universal Chest rig. It has four pouches on the front that can accomodate AR-15, AK-47 or S12 mags -- along with 4 pistol mags. It seems pretty well made and feels good. I haven't had a chance to check it out in the field yet.

I just installed a PolyChoke on my S12 -- I haven't had a chance to pattern it yet.

Welcome to the Forum!

Jim

I have shot mine regularly in 3 gun now for a year and TNEK saw my gun this past Saturday. I personally use Federal #6 from Wally World for $3.88 a box. It is reliable and patterns like 7.5 and 8's out of modified guns. Slugs are the shit out of a Saiga but don't use a full strength slug on the low brass setting because it knocks you off target too much. The downfall of the Saiga is also it's saving grace. Look at the stages ahead of time. If they are large stages with 16 plus rounds then the Saiga is the way to go and if they are mostly 8-12 round stages then the 1100 and 1187's are it. It is easier to load 1 or 2 rounds in a tube feed than it is to load 1 mag for 1 or 2 shots. I personally can load a mag in about 4 seconds and at my local club that is about what the fastest open tuber can do with his stick. Catch is I just loaded 8-10 rds and he loaded 4. Silly tubers!!!!!!!!

This will be a very interesting topic after the Multi-Gun Nats at USSA (an amazing facility) in Tulsa next month. Not only will we'll see what some Saiga shooters will be doing but a lot of competitors will get exposed to Tromix.

I like my mags kept down low on my thigh. It just works better for me. I have them in a dump pouch.

I have used my Saiga-12 in several USPSA 3-guns including two nationals. You may lag behind slightly with the tube-reloader open guns, but you will catch up and possibly pass them on stages where there is large round counts. IMHO I would consider the following in order of benefit to you:

1) Shorten the barrel down to 19 inch if it is not there already. This will permit faster target aquisition and moving around barricades.

2) Jeric's Last Round bolt hold device. This nifty little jewel has cut my reloading time by about half and will permit selective slug drills on certain stages.

3) Dedicated 10 round mag pouches on either vest, hip or belt. I've seen more time being consumed while a Saiga shotgunner attempts to rummage aound in a bag or pocket to get that last mag out and inserted.

4) Screw-in choke system like Remchoke or Winchoke. There will be matches where being able to use different chokes is going to assist your scores.

5) Consider some kind of optic such as a Kobra or Docter optic red dot. In high round count stages, the faster you can acquire targets the lower your overall time will be.

And of course, practice, practice, practice! Please give us feedback on your results and which events you attend so fellow Saiga shooters can join in.

This will be a very interesting topic after the Multi-Gun Nats at USSA (an amazing facility) in Tulsa next month. Not only will we'll see what some Saiga shooters will be doing but a lot of competitors will get exposed to Tromix.

I like my mags kept down low on my thigh. It just works better for me. I have them in a dump pouch.

Thank you for all the prompt replys. I am used to using a belt type pouch for the 3 Gun matches I have been shooting and am wanting to stay with one that the 10 Rd. AGP's would work in. Our matches are typically 19 to no more than 25 rds. using both shot and slugs on the same stag. This would make using a polychoke not acceptable unless modified or IC could be used for both the shot and the slugs.

I purchased a Shark Brake from Tony and installed it on my 19" Saiga 12. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience shooting 7 1/2 or 8 shot and Rem Low Recoill slugs out to 35-40 Yds without a choke of any kind.

In regards to the LRBHO, I was told by a reputable source that the parts for this option were flimsy and that there may be warranty issues down the road with this option installed.. I read the post by AGP regarding the 10 rd. mag modification to load on a closed bolt. I modified all of my mags by taking off 1/4" from the front of the follower as explained. All my mags now load with the bolt closed. I admit it will take some practice to get proficient but I would rather do this than have to modify all mags with the LRBHO option.

In USPSA we are limited to 10 rds. in the Tube or Mag. and 1 in the chamber.

I have used my Saiga-12 in several USPSA 3-guns including two nationals. You may lag behind slightly with the tube-reloader open guns, but you will catch up and possibly pass them on stages where there is large round counts. IMHO I would consider the following in order of benefit to you:

1) Shorten the barrel down to 19 inch if it is not there already. This will permit faster target aquisition and moving around barricades.

2) Jeric's Last Round bolt hold device. This nifty little jewel has cut my reloading time by about half and will permit selective slug drills on certain stages.

3) Dedicated 10 round mag pouches on either vest, hip or belt. I've seen more time being consumed while a Saiga shotgunner attempts to rummage aound in a bag or pocket to get that last mag out and inserted.

4) Screw-in choke system like Remchoke or Winchoke. There will be matches where being able to use different chokes is going to assist your scores.

5) Consider some kind of optic such as a Kobra or Docter optic red dot. In high round count stages, the faster you can acquire targets the lower your overall time will be.

And of course, practice, practice, practice! Please give us feedback on your results and which events you attend so fellow Saiga shooters can join in.

Ron,

I did purchase a Kobra 03 from Tantal for this SG. Given the price and the ease of mounting, I felt it was the best option as you suggested. Ques. Can a Rem Choke or Winchoke be used with a Shark Brake?

Ron,

I did purchase a Kobra 03 from Tantal for this SG. Given the price and the ease of mounting, I felt it was the best option as you suggested. Ques. Can a Rem Choke or Winchoke be used with a Shark Brake?

3GunRjl,

If the Sharkbrake fits over the barrel then it possible to use a Winchoke or Remchoke system as they are internal threaded. Removal and installation of the choke tubes will be a little problematic as you have to avoid the "teeth" of the Sharkbrake while using an extended choke wrench. Oh, and Polychokes can be used with slugs with no ill effect to the slug or choke.

Ron,

3GunRjl,

If the Sharkbrake fits over the barrel then it possible to use a Winchoke or Remchoke system as they are internal threaded. Removal and installation of the choke tubes will be a little problematic as you have to avoid the "teeth" of the Sharkbrake while using an extended choke wrench. Oh, and Polychokes can be used with slugs with no ill effect to the slug or choke.

Based on your reply, it sounds like I would need to thread the inside of the barrel to accomodate the Winchoke or Remchoke. Do you have any experience with how a 19" Saiga 12 will pattern for shots and slugs with just the Sharkbrake? As mentioned, I will only use this gun in open class for area matches and I'm looking for the best overall solution. I send the SG off to Tony this week to do some mods and refinishing so I am unable to shoot it with the brake until he returns it. The Sharkbrake does thread onto the outside of the barrel.

If a polychoke was used for a combined Shot-Slug stage, what setting would you select.

Btw, If the Gun and I are ready, I will try to shoot it in the Area 6 match in Anniston AL in Nov.

I shoot 3 guns also! this is my tromix last sunday at Blackwater!!topmaul and the team saiga unfortunatly was not with me.........and my saiga was alone..........but.............it was very reliable like always!

Looking GOOD!! I wish I could have shot with you. I have not been to Blackwater in years. Ron Reiner runs a great IDPA like match there. I relocated a few years ago fron N.VA to N. GA.

Are you loading on a closed bolt with 10 Rd mags??

I shoot 3 guns also! this is my tromix last sunday at Blackwater!!topmaul and the team saiga unfortunatly was not with me.........and my saiga was alone..........but.............it was very reliable like always!

Looking GOOD!! I wish I could have shot with you. I have not been to Blackwater in years. Ron Reiner runs a great IDPA like match there. I relocated a few years ago fron N.VA to N. GA.

Are you loading on a closed bolt with 10 Rd mags??

3 gun no I do not reload with the bolt close I have on a little tric. On the last shot I push up a little lever and the bolt stay open. That really help a lottttttt!!!

The IDPA run by Ron it will be in October! it will be incredible! probably all shooting houses.

Best regards

G.