beretta neo u22. perfect until...

does anyone have much experience with this?

It's kinda space age looking. by Beretta... called the Neo U22. I purchased one about 3 months ago (it was my 2nd gun). It's been PERFECT as a 22 can be. quite accurate and would take just about any ammo.

i was around round 3000 something today at the range. 3rd bullet from the magazine and a very different explosion. lots of black smoke and something sharp hit me in the face. Good thing I didn't have my mouth open. After the smoke cleared - i looked at the gun. the bullet lost "strips" of the casing but the case was still there. i'm sure the bullet left the barrel because it was cleared. gun poweder or residue everywhere. Where the extractor was...all that was left was the spring. the extractor was on the floor - minus the claw part.

Well, i took it immediately to Academy and they sent it back to Beretta.

Still it was a scare. even when it comes back, i think a part of me will still wonder if a piece of the gun will fly at my face again...

How common is this? especially from a true blue Beretta?!?

Ammo was Remington golden bullet from walmart in the bulk pack - it's what i always use.

(on the side note...the siaga was perfect. as usual. it just runs out of ammo so fast.)

I had a Remington Viper .22LR go off out of battery in my Ruger Mark 2 22/45 out in the middle of nowhere.Thank God my cousin and I were OK and I was able to pry the ruptured casing out with my pocket knife.I have never had problem before or since with that gun, ever.I sent the casing back to Remington and the "techs" said it was my gun and not thier ammo but they sent me a check for $10 anyway if my memory serves me correctly.I had a Star model A 9mm Largo,using an aftermarket 9mm Luger barrel burst a 9mm sub-gun load (medium strength) and cracked the grip,broke a piece off the frame,and just about left me deaf even though I had ear plugs in!Another out of battery fire.I still have that shell in my collection.The gun still worked and I got rid of it QUICK!I have found split casings before while shooting but they all shot fine,just the casing afterwards was messed up.

unfortunately, this is my "3rd" incident...

i know, someone may be thinking if it's my 3rd and i've only been shooting for 3 - 4 months, it MUST be user error... let me explain...

A few months ago, I also purchased a Mossberg 702 Plinker (it's actualy only imported by Mossberg but made by some Brazilian company). It would jam every 3-4 rounds regardless of what ammo I used - even cci good stuff.

I sent it back via Walmart (where I purchased)...Mossberg sent a new rifle (the serial #s were different). This time it wasn't jamming, however, after a few rounds, there was a large "funny" explosion - the thing exploded inside the action...there was black smoke everwhere and the bullet was jammed inside the barrel, the casing all torn (there was nothing blocking the barrel- i was sure because this was the 2nd or 3rd round from the magazine)

I cleaned it. the next trip to the range...it happened after the 7th shoot of the magazine (a differnt one). My uncle who has been with guns all his life (military, gun shop owner and hunter) was with me the whole time ... he said it was the rifle's fault... well my fault for buying a cheap pos.

Luckily, the Walmart guys gave me my $ back after I explained how dangerous it is... he agreed they were a pos... so i got a marlin model 60 instead - for 30 bucks more it's perfection.

never had a problem with the Maverick. the only difference I can see inside or out between it and the 500 is the placement of the safety

I had a Beretta U22 Neos, 6" stainless. I wish I had never sold it! It fed Remmington .22LR hollow points reliably. I took it down to clean it a couple of times. When I put it back together one time It would jam every magazine at least once. I removed most of the lube I had on it and it worked reliably once again.

I never had any real issues with mine. It was a great accurate and well balanced .22LR target pistol.

Even though I liked mine and never had an issue with it, I decided that I like the longevity of the steel framed pistol. A ruger will be my next purchase. Nothing against the Beretta, I just want something a little heavier and more durable.

By the way I have heard of lots of .22LR pistols having trouble with that Remmington Ammo.

In the early 90's we started seeing M9's (Beretta 92 SB/F) with the grip covers painted OD green in our unit armory. When I asked the armorer about it he said it was to ID weapons that had been reinforced to prevent breakage on the locking lugs. There was an incident where the lugs sheared off and the entire slide flew back and hit the shooter in the face. It was not fatal but the Marine lost several teeth and had a lot of stitches on his face.

http://www.thegunzone.com/m9-a.html

There was supposedly some dispute regarding the cause of the failure. Beretta claimed higher pressures in US manufactured ammo and others blamed the metallurgy used by Beretta to manufacture the weapon.

• 1 month later...

I have a U22 neos w/ a 4.5" barrel. My only complaint is my choice of ammo in the cheap bulk packs. .22LR cartridges are inherently dirty when fired, and I usually get the occasional round to spray specks of burning powder in my face when it's cycling. IMO, the Remington 36gn game bulk pack was the worst .22LR ammo I have ever fired- totally dirty and too many dead primers.

This is not a problem when I shell out the $$ for the high-velocity competition ammo.

I stopped buying Remington bulk pack .22 ammo. My brother in law had a squib load in my 10/22. He manually ejected the case and fired another one right behind it. Wrecked a nice Green Mountain aftermarket barrel in the process. No real kaboom, just bulged out some of the flutes.

haven't had any issues with Remington's Golden Bullets... but i'm starting to rethink this.

what other cheap bulk packs do you buy?

i hear Federals are bad too... are they any better then Remington.

the worst for me have been White box wth red writting... Xperts i think...from walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

so... 2 months and about 1000 rounds later...

fired about 2 magazines ok, then with the 3rd... it won't fire. i can't move the slide back... just jammed. The round never made it to the chamber. It did feel funny pulling the slide and letting go... it just returned funny.

After field stripping it, the little metal piece (sorry not specific - i don't know what it's called) part of the trigger assembly locks up the part of the gun on the back of the firing pin. really wierd... i had to jiggle the gun just to strip it.

Well, it worked for about 2 magazines then it "jammed" again. Same way and I'm sorry i can't be so specific.

I sent it back to Beretta. The guys at Academy were surprised to see me with a problem again. They said that they sell a ton of those and mine was the only one to have issues...and have issues Twice!

I still love my Px4. The 92FS that belongs to my dad was also flawless. I'm sure it's not the brand... mine must be just a lemon. I hope it's as simple as that anyway and this is the last time it has to go back.

when it rains, it pours vujade...

they dont sell U22's here (stupid Beretta, ffs, we can get all their weapons except their cheapest 22? what's the logic in that?), so i cant really say much about failure rate here. but overall, i've heard of only very few problems with them from friends in other countries.

• 4 months later...

yep. that was the last time it had to go back (knock on wood).

it's months later and a lots of range trips later and it's still all good.

whew...nothing worst than that feeling that one of the family members is sick.