win white box 7.62mm

ok....but is this 308? i have seen 308win 7.62nato 7.62by51, what the hell is 7.62mm can shoot it in a saiga 308 or a cetme

I think you are confused... There is 7.62x51 Nato, which is the military round that many milsurp type weapons require, including your CETME. There is also .308 Winchester, which is a civilianized version of the same cartridge, but since it has a higher pressure spec than 7.62x51 Nato, using it in some military type actions (including your CETME) can result in damage. But a civilian firearm that is designed for .308 Winchester can shoot either, safely. The .308 Saiga falls into this category, even though it is based off a military type action. It is marked for both .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 Nato, and can fire cartridges meeting either specification safely.

The short version: Do not fire .308 Winchester in your CETME! You can fire either in your Saiga.

ok....but is this 308? i have seen 308win 7.62nato 7.62by51, what the hell is 7.62mm can shoot it in a saiga 308 or a cetme

I think you are confused... There is 7.62x51 Nato, which is the military round that many milsurp type weapons require, including your CETME. There is also .308 Winchester, which is a civilianized version of the same cartridge, but since it has a higher pressure spec than 7.62x51 Nato, using it in some military type actions (including your CETME) can result in damage. But a civilian firearm that is designed for .308 Winchester can shoot either, safely. The .308 Saiga falls into this category, even though it is based off a military type action. It is marked for both .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 Nato, and can fire cartridges meeting either specification safely.

The short version: Do not fire .308 Winchester in your CETME! You can fire either in your Saiga.

what type of damage are we talking about here, cause i shoot .308 in my cetme all day long?

thanx gob for your help; but i ask the question wrong. do u know about this win round 7.62mm its in the white box i removed a round from the box and held it up to a 308 oal was the same but the brass seamed longer but maybe that was jest me im not new too 308s but know nunthing about this 7.62mm?

Sounds like it's some Lake City stuff. Winchester M80 ball?, 7.62x51mm, 147grain FMJ,... Does the box have a number that starts with Q. Like Q3131. What does the head stamp on the cartriage say, what's the number on the box? If it's what I think it prob is, the S.308 that I put it through loves that stuff! Should be no problemo in the S.308.

The 7.62x51mm brass tends to be a bit thicker walled, gives a little less case capacity. The thicker walled cart seems to have less of a tendency to experience cart seperation, especialy in rifles with fluted chambers...

Edited by cscharlie

Yeah you always need to know more than just 7.62. That could be anything from 7.62x25 to 7.62x39 to 7.62x51 to 7.62x54 to 7.62x71 (aka 300wby). Many of these are also as 30 cal (though some of the 7.62 bullets are larger than 30 cal ie .308). If you're confused, and you probably should be if you just went according to the "name" of the cartridge, then check out a reloading manual to get the exact bullet diameters and case lengths (among many other things).

Smiley----I've been looking at that ammo too. I've read that it's U.S. government contract over-run NATO 7.62x51, stamped with NATO emblem. All positive reviews based on my research. One more nugget---My Springfield M1A specifies to specifically use 7.62x51 rather than .308 because the primers in the NATO are less sensitive and therefore less risky for a slam-fire with that rifles semi-auto action.

Smiley... The CETME is designed to fire military spec brass. .308 will generate higher chamber pressure but the brass is not quite as beefy as mil spec 7.62x51 nato. The CETME has a fluted chamber that causes the brass to really grip the chamber wall when it expands upon firing. The blowback action of the CETME is very quick and violent. The fluted chamber design is to provide some resistance and slow this action down some. Needless to say, the extractor then has to grab the case rim

prety hard to pull the spent case out. If the brass being fired is whimpy, the extractor will tear the case head off and leave a broken case stuck in the chamber. -NOT GOOD! It will then be necessary use a broken case extractor tool to clear the chamber. Pain in the ass. Some civilian .308 can handle it... Some can not. Spare yourself the misery of diagnosing this problem and ordering a broken case extractor from Brownells. Yes, it has happened to me.

is this 7.62by51 308nato? can i shoot this in my saiga, i have cetme to and need nato to shoot in it. garnder mt has it for $16.00 a box thanx

16 dollars a box?

Time to consider reloading. You can make them as strong or as mild as you want or need. You can reload for about a quarter a round, less if you look around. I bought a lee reloading press for 25 dollars on gunbroker and a set of dies for 10 at a local gun show.

The saiga will cycle a pretty mild round if you want it to.

A mild 308.... imagine that. Watch the hedge apples freaking explode.

is this 7.62by51 308nato? can i shoot this in my saiga, i have cetme to and need nato to shoot in it. garnder mt has it for $16.00 a box thanx

16 dollars a box?

Time to consider reloading. You can make them as strong or as mild as you want or need. You can reload for about a quarter a round, less if you look around. I bought a lee reloading press for 25 dollars on gunbroker and a set of dies for 10 at a local gun show.

The saiga will cycle a pretty mild round if you want it to.

A mild 308.... imagine that. Watch the hedge apples freaking explode.

This is why I've only fired my CETME once. Buck a round.