Newbie. General Q's about what I am about to get into

I have been browsing over probably the last 12 pages of threads in regards to the 7.62x39 saiga, specifically topics related to conversion as I intend to do. Awesome forum!

The cheapest saiga in x39 I have been able to find is http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?targ...ategory_id=2435

but I don't want to just jump into that because of the price. Has anyone had experiences with On Point Firearms or know anything about them?

Next, what have people found the price ultimately comes out to?

Is there good resale potential for parts I will be taking off the sporting rifle like the stock and trigger pieces?

Overall I have read this is a very reliable gun, how reliable does it become AFTER modification to turn it into an ak47 looking gun?

What does RAA mean?

What should I avoid doing?

Do people use this website http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm for their conversion directions? Is there a better or similar one to use?

Why in the hell is it so cheap to build an AK103 clone? They sell other ak47 crap variants for tons more than this!

1. I purchased my 7.62x39 and all of its conversion parts from OnPoint and had 2 x great transactions. Their shipping was cheaper than anyone else's as well as their parts and the rifles themselves. I will use them again when I get my .223

2. Cheaper that an equally equipped WASR and it is a better rifle.

3. I've seen the stocks resell here, the rest, no.

4. Better, due to better trigger and ergonomics

5. Russian American Armory

6. Buying cheap drill bits! That spot weld is tough!

7. Yes. Check posts in the Tech Section

8. Well kept secret; no additional work needed; Saiga looks funny in its "sporterized" clothes

Welcome to the Forum and keep us posted on the conversion! Check out Dinzag's stuff. It really makes life easier!

Thank you. One more question I forgot to ask.

I read 2 or 3 threads about a firing pin not fully coming into contact with the primer, the shell did not fire as a result. In those threads ammo was ruled out. Is this a bad rifle or can it be fixed without the hassle of sending it back?

Any other issues common to these rifles? I was under the impression that Saiga was several levels above WASR in quality, and slightly better than yugo. If Krebs uses Saiga receivers I'm sure it is good enough.

Dinzag's stuff looks good. I like the idea of having threads on the end of the barrel and might use his compensator and thread kits...though in my mind just directly threading the barrel sounds most appealing.

I will keep you all posted, cant wait till its done!

When you get the rifle, make sure you remove all the gunk in the bolt. Other calibers have spring-loaded firing pins, but the 7.62x39 is free-floating. If there is gunk in the bolt it can hold the firing pin out enough to slam fire.

Edited by Ax-Man

+1 on onpointsupply. I like the fact that they list how many of something they have in stock. Decent prices too.

When getting any new gun take it apart as far as practical and hit it with some gunscrubber spray. The stuff helps to clean up any grease or cosmo that might have found its way into the firing pin during assembly, storage, etc.

The guns are just as reliable once converted unless you do something you shouldn't during the conversion.

Why in the hell is it so cheap to build an AK103 clone? They sell other ak47 crap variants for tons more than this!
AK-103 clones are not cheap. You'll pay $260-odd dollars to k-var for a US made polymer side folder or you'll gamble with the Russians for a cheaper one (not that much cheaper, after the fact).

You'll then have to pay someone to cut the holes for and fit the stock to your Saiga.

Just sticking a fixed stock and AK hand guards on a 7.62 Saiga doesn't make an AK-103.

An accurate AK-103 clone is definitely not "cheap" to build.

AK-103 clones are not cheap. You'll pay $260-odd dollars to k-var for a US made polymer side folder or you'll gamble with the Russians for a cheaper one (not that much cheaper, after the fact).

You'll then have to pay someone to cut the holes for and fit the stock to your Saiga.

Just sticking a fixed stock and AK hand guards on a 7.62 Saiga doesn't make an AK-103.

Im interested in perhaps wooden handguards and a side folder romy style folder. So mine will not be 103 clone like. But still, this is a high quality ak47 I am building and still it will not end up being too much more than yugos or some wasr's I have seen people buying for 370. Saiga is a good rifle! amazing how cheap the sporting rifle is.

Im interested in perhaps wooden handguards and a side folder romy style folder. So mine will not be 103 clone like. But still, this is a high quality ak47 I am building and still it will not end up being too much more than yugos or some wasr's I have seen people buying for 370. Saiga is a good rifle! amazing how cheap the sporting rifle is.

I just got lucky and got 2 guns 260 for each including taxes, but parts cost more than the

damn guns, going for like 300 bucks in parts for each gun and not even finish yet

shopping, damn things can go expensive but you pay the price for quality stuff

even if is just minor stuff.

By the way thanks Din man for the AKM style pistol grip nut.

Edited by vjor
As far as mags go, is there a preference? I can get used metal ak47 mags that still work fine and will forever but I do NOT want any mag wobble. Should I get a different kind, polymer?

Does polymer wear down from repeated loading and unloading? More importantly, do russian made magazines count as a foreign part with 922?