Bullet guide options

Hey y'all, I've been surfin' the net for bullet guide options and was wonderin' if this option would work:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=281&page=1

Forum member dinzag offers a bullet guide 'kit' that includes a proper bullet guide, the screw, the drill bit, and the tap, all for $28 shipped.

Can't go wrong there. (I have one on the way)

One thing to consider is that Saiga made some slight changes to the trunnion in the 2006 models -- so the "standard" bullet guide may not work quite right. Go with Dinzag -- if you need some help or adjustments to make yours work, he'll help you out. With K-Var, you'll pay $10 in shipping on the $14 part....and it's not giong to matter to them if it doesn't fit properly. Not that K-Var is a bad outfit, but you'll never get the same level of customer service that Dinzag provides.

Jim

I understand this, I'm with Dinzag all the way. I've already got one of his guides in my .223. I've got a round trunion x39 though, and was just wondering if anyone had any info whether or not these fit.

Yup they fit like a glove.Just put one in my round trunion x39. Dinzag is a good guy and will help with any problems. Highly recommend him and his stuff. Airedale.

I understand this, I'm with Dinzag all the way. I've already got one of his guides in my .223. I've got a round trunion x39 though, and was just wondering if anyone had any info whether or not these fit.

Yup they fit like a glove.Just put one in my round trunion x39. Dinzag is a good guy and will help with any problems. Highly recommend him and his stuff. Airedale.

He makes them for all variations (mine is a round trunion as well)

Hey y'all, I've been surfin' the net for bullet guide options and was wonderin' if this option would work:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=281&page=1

I used that same bullet guide on my 7.62x39 conversion as I was already ordering parts from Kvar. Anyway it required filing/grinding of the flat part at the bottom and filing/grinding on the left side where the hump is located. Once done, filing/grinding, you need to drill and tap the hole for the screw to fit. At the end of the day, the bullet guide from Kvar worked perfectly. It is possible to file/grind too much metal off, especially if it is your first built and you can't put metal back. The bullet guide from Dinzag comes already engineered/shaped for your Saiga rifle's trunion, comes with a drill bit, a tap, and the proper screw to fit. Dinzag's complete pagage deal is probably your better choice of the two.

Those K-Var AK guides would probably be better served for the flat-cut trunnion rifles, however you will need to do a little fitting. To put in a round trunnion rifle, they require quite a bit more work.

If you haven't bought the K-Var part, I'd echo everyone else and go with Dinzag. It's hard to beat the kind of customer service he provides.

Is a bullet guide necessary? What purpose does it serve and what is wrong with the factory set up?

The bullet guide allows you to use standard AK magazines. It allows the bullet to feed properly from the magazine into the breech. As designed, that function is performed by a guide that is an integral part of the factory Saiga magazines. If you want to use standard AK mags, then you need a guide to provide reliable feeding of the rounds.

The big advantage of installing a bullet guide is that it gives you the ability to use the plentiful (and cheap!) high capacity AK mags. There are high capacity Saiga mags available (Surefire mags) but they are expensive (~$45 each). I'd much rather be able to use $15 AK mags - plus it gives you the option of using any AK mag you find lying around.

Jim