Saiga bullet guide loose?

Hello, I have been shooting my converted Saiga 7.62x39 for a while now and the bullet guide works great with my gun. While cleaning the gun after a recent outing/shooting, I found that the screw that holds the bullet guide had worked itself loose. Should I have used locktite on that screw after the bullet guide was determined to be reliable? What fix do you guys recommend to keep this screw from coming loose again? Thanks

This very same discussion is going on in the Tech section. You should find some good info in there, goo luck :up: .

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20336

ok, I read the discussions in the Tech section above. I went with the Red locktite and installed a lock washer and nut on the screw from the bottom. Man, It was a pain to intall the lock washer and nut! Anyway, the Red locktite plus the lock washer and nut should solve the problem.

This very same discussion is going on in the Tech section. You should find some good info in there, goo luck :up: .

ok, I read the discussions in the Tech section above. I went with the Red locktite and installed a lock washer and nut on the screw from the bottom. Man, It was a pain to intall the lock washer and nut! Anyway, the Red locktite plus the lock washer and nut should solve the problem.

Please keep me posted. Really.

louielouie (the other guy having trouble)

Please keep me posted. Really.

louielouie (the other guy having trouble)

(1)The red locktite was applied to the screw and the tapped hole in the trunion , then with the bullet guide in place,I tighten the screw down good and tight .

(2)After removing the lower handguards and looking at the trunion, I added the lock washer and nut. The lock washer and nut probably is not needed as the red locktite should hold the screw, but after looking at the bare screw protruding from the bottom of the trunion, I decided to go with the lock washer and nut. It should not negatively affectly the situation.

This is a picture of the screw protruding from the botton of the trunion, with the lock washer and nut attached:

1000490xv6.jpg

Edited by jbremount
Sounds and looks like a solid solution. Hopefully it works for ya. :smoke:

That had crossed my mind on my snafu, but I didn't have any really small screws and nuts and I did have rivets.

I know I will make some machinists cringe with this idea.

I thought about drilling a hole through the receiver and directly in line with the tapped hole. The hole

would be the same size as the rivet holes that I plugged with the plastic plugs.

This would give me the advantage of being able to see the screw bottom and easily attach a locknut on the bottom of the screw and tighten it against the trunnion.

Then I would plug the hole and it would look like a rivet.

Just an idea, in case I need to.

louielouie

louielouie that will work, drill right through, then hog out the receiver for a nylon plug, it is not a purest solution, some people will not like it, but it is a valid solution.

jbremount: is showing what I was describing in the other posts, yes, it is hard to get some kind of tool into that little space to hold a nut in plce but if you can do it, that method will work.

I thought about drilling a hole through the receiver and directly in line with the tapped hole. The hole

would be the same size as the rivet holes that I plugged with the plastic plugs.

louielouie that will work, drill right through, then hog out the receiver for a nylon plug, it is not a purest solution, some people will not like it, but it is a valid solution.

Now hold up. There ain't no need to drill through the receiver. Get you a popsicle stick and glue your nut and lockwasher to the end of it (elmers glue is fine). Put your rifle in a rack so you ain't gotta hold it, and put the popsicle stick in so the nut and washer are under the hole in the trunnion. Screw the bolt into the nut on the stick.

The nut should pop off the stick as it tightens up, if not just yank the stick out. To tighten it up, use a small crescent wrench.

Please don't drill holes in your receiver, as there are many other nondestructive ways to get this operation done.

Now hold up. There ain't no need to drill through the receiver. Get you a popsicle stick and glue your nut and lockwasher to the end of it (elmers glue is fine). Put your rifle in a rack so you ain't gotta hold it, and put the popsicle stick in so the nut and washer are under the hole in the trunnion. Screw the bolt into the nut on the stick.

The nut should pop off the stick as it tightens up, if not just yank the stick out. To tighten it up, use a small crescent wrench.

Please don't drill holes in your receiver, as there are many other nondestructive ways to get this operation done.

That is a pretty slick idea... do that instead!

Loctite that puppy in...I use blue in mine but I'm always taking them in & out.

If you use red, and need to remove it later, you can use a small map torch.

Brian,

I think I will use nalioth's idea (glue the nut on the popcycle stick) and try Blue LocTite one more time. If I can get a locknut on that screw along with the Blue LocTite I don't think the bullet guide will be going anywhere for a long time.

If I see it getting loose, I will use Red Loctite on it.

louielouie

I want to give a couple of guys some thanks for going above and beyond with me on this problem.

Brian (Dinzag) has worked with me on this problem through at least 25 or 30 emails and reworked my bullet guide 2 times. As I said earlier it was a machinist who tapped the hole at an angle that has caused the problem, not anything to do with the bullet guide itself.

I feel kind of bad using so much of his time. He just started his new internet business. That lets you know what he thinks of his products and customer service.

The other guy is nalioth, who offered in an email to help me in any way he could to get my bullet guide secure. He even gave me his phone number. Now that is above and beyond in my book.

louielouie