Gas Adjustment?

Am I missing something here to adjust the gas setting? I saw something different on someone elses. Am I missing a cap or something?

I haven't got to shoot this saiga yet but just want to make sure. Also how does the gas adjustment work. I don't remember reading anything about it in the manual...

gasadjustmentlv7.th.jpg

joeddox you need to push the little button in while you twist the adjustment cap. I use a small wooden chopstix to hold the button in while I turn the cap. Sometimes you need to use a small screwdriver or even a quarter to make the cap turn. It can get stiff. Whenever you remove the cap for cleaning smear a drop of antiseize in the threads before you screw it back in so you can get it off again later. ;)

So there should be a cap on the end were the numbers are??? Mine came just like it is shown in the picture, I think it came with a tool though to spin that thread...

Yes, as stated, the above thread is useful.

Basically, where the numbers are, that is that cap. That whole assembly (kind of thimble-shaped) will unscrew, giving you access to the gas system.

(Note: For normal firing, what you do is hold the button in, screw the stopper (that's the official name of this part) all the way in, the back it out to the first number you hit (should be 1))

The tool that came (or should have come) with the gun, the one that's like a long screwdriver, works well for simultaneously depressing the button and providing some leverage to turn the stopper should it require some persuading.

Edited by BlackBear
So there should be a cap on the end were the numbers are??? Mine came just like it is shown in the picture, I think it came with a tool though to spin that thread...

Yes, as stated, the above thread is useful.

Basically, where the numbers are, that is that cap. That whole assembly (kind of thimble-shaped) will unscrew, giving you access to the gas system.

(Note: For normal firing, what you do is hold the button in, screw the stopper (that's the official name of this part) all the way in, the back it out to the first number you hit (should be 1))

The tool that came (or should have come) with the gun, the one that's like a long screwdriver, works well for simultaneously depressing the button and providing some leverage to turn the stopper should it require some persuading.

+1 one on the factory tool (more of a rectangle piece of steel) and there is nothing you need to put over the gas setting selector/ you are not missing anything

My advise is leave the setting on # 1 (Heavy Load) and see how it works. My 22" Saiga 12 functions flawlessly on very light to 3' Magnum loads on this setting. The #2 load was probably designed only for the very tiny European loads.

Your results may vary.

On my S12 screwed all the way lands exactly on 2, then you turn it out to get to one.

My advise is leave the setting on # 1 (Heavy Load) and see how it works. My 22" Saiga 12 functions flawlessly on very light to 3' Magnum loads on this setting. The #2 load was probably designed only for the very tiny European loads.

Your results may vary.

I am trying to do the same thing, have some Federal 2 3/4 medium brass field load, it almost recoils enough on 1 to eject. The gun is new, I am hoping when it gets broke in it will start ejecting it

Target loads will not even move the bolt on the 1 setting

What size loads are considered target loads?

My target loads are Winchester Universal and Winchester Target loads with 6 and 7 1/2 shot. They are low aluminum "brass" or whatever you would call them. I can shoot them from the hip with no problem on 2

Edited by waltham_41