mag question

Ok so I've got all the 922r based covered and I want to use hi cap mags in my unconverted saiga .223

I would be buying one of Dinzag's bullet guide kits

Which mags can I use without having to modify the mags?

I cannot use the Galil mags as they are 35 rounds, which classify as a machine gun in Ohio :ded:

Ok so I've got all the 922r based covered and I want to use hi cap mags in my unconverted saiga .223

I cannot use the Galil mags as they are 35 rounds, which classify as a machine gun in Ohio :ded:

5 extra rounds = machine gun??? WTF

Shows you what happens when non gun people make gun laws!

You could use modified Bulgy magazines. They have 5, 10, 20 and 30 round mags.

ok so AK-74 mags will work with a .223 follower? No mods other than that needed?

I have a circle 10 magazine (its got a 10 in a circle on it), its plastic. It doesn't fit in the magwell, seems too long. What has to be done to this mag?

EDIT its this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84484217

Apparently its a Bulgarian mag. How do I mod this to work?

ok so AK-74 mags will work with a .223 follower? No mods other than that needed?

I have a circle 10 magazine (its got a 10 in a circle on it), its plastic. It doesn't fit in the magwell, seems too long. What has to be done to this mag?

That is a .223 Bulgarian mag, not an Ak74 mag. You'll need to grind your rifles mag catch a wee little bit for it to seat properly.

Conversely, if you only have one or two mags, you can polish the bottom of the magazines mag catch, but I really don't recommend that. If you adapt the rifles mag catch, you can use Weigers, Bulgies, AK74s w/follower adaptations, etc.

Speaking of which: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20586&hl=

Edited by nalioth

That is a .223 Bulgarian mag, not an Ak74 mag. You'll need to grind your rifles mag catch a wee little bit for it to seat properly.

Conversely, if you only have one or two mags, you can polish the bottom of the magazines mag catch, but I really don't recommend that. If you adapt the rifles mag catch, you can use Weigers, Bulgies, AK74s w/follower adaptations, etc.

Speaking of which: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20586&hl=

So are you saying that I should do what icarus did in this thread? Just open up the mag well with a dremel?

I had to do that with my WASR so I'm sorta familiar with that process.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9030

So are you saying that I should do what icarus did in this thread? Just open up the mag well with a dremel?

I had to do that with my WASR so I'm sorta familiar with that process.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9030

I didn't say anything about the mag well. To use AK mags in the Saiga, you either have to modify the mag catch on the rifle (remove a bit of material from the top) or the mag catch on the magazine (remove a bit of material from the bottom of the locking tab). I find the rifle modification makes more sense for me (as I have quite a few .223 AK mags).

If your magazines aren't fitting into the mag well, I suppose the mag well can be opened or you can shave the sides of the mag.

Edited by nalioth

OH OK haha I was a little confused with the terminology.

So to get that mag to work in the saiga, I have to grind material off of the top half of that mag catch lever on the rifle or shorten up the tab on the rear of the mag. Since it is an AK mag, I'm pretty sure it needs that bullet guide of Dinzag's.

Its 12:37am, just making sure I'm reading clearly :rolleyes:

does that mag catch come out somehow or do I have to weasle the dremel in there? If that's all that needs doing then I'd rather just grind the mag catch.

OH OK haha I was a little confused with the terminology.

So to get that mag to work in the saiga, I have to grind material off of the top half of that mag catch lever on the rifle or shorten up the tab on the rear of the mag. Since it is an AK mag, I'm pretty sure it needs that bullet guide of Dinzag's.

Yep, you'll need a bullet guide to use any non-Saiga mag (unless you want to pay out the nose for welded up euro mags)
does that mag catch come out somehow or do I have to weasle the dremel in there? If that's all that needs doing then I'd rather just grind the mag catch.
The mag catch DOES come out, but I'd not recommend it. It's a royal PITA to get back in place. I'd just hit it with a file a little bit, test fit a mag, hit it with the file a little bit, test fit a mag. Repeat as needed.

Dremels are good, but sometimes a little TOO good, if ya know what I mean.

Ok I finally got the mag to fit. Here's what I had to do:

File above AND below the rear catch on the back of the mag

Reshape the catch itself to look like the fatory catch (more square)

File down the lugs on the front of the mag so they were flush with the follower

File down the very top of the mag a wee bit to even out the two sides.

I think I may have gotten a little carried away. It locks up great now, but theres a little wobble (nowhere near as bad as my WASR). What is kind of troubling is that the mag twists a little when locked in. Is this normal for the Bulgy mag mods or did I screw the mag up?

I don't have the bullet guide yet, but I'm gonna try a few snap caps anyway.

Edited by Bonesaw