US Made Buttstock - Source?

I plan on getting some Master Molder or Sure Fire mags for my 7.62 x39. I guess that leaves me with one more part to go for 922r. Anyone know where I can get a US made plastic buttstock in the same length that goes right on without cutting or dremeling anything? I could do the handguard I guess but the Tapco thing is a bit $$ and I don't want to go through buying the retainer etc for the other version(s) out there. Thanks.

Edited by Barn Dog

Here is something that might help you: (slightly modified post I just made concerning the Master Moulder 30 rd. mags.)

First, I agree w/ the others about NOT ordering your Saiga w/ the skeleton stock (Unless you want to keep it that way and Not use 30 rd. mags.)

If you want 30 rd. you'll have to trash the skeleton Russian stock. (or do some major internal conversion with US parts)

You'll need to do 'some' type of conversion to be legal w/ 30 rd. mags.

1) You can do the 'Full Conversion' which requires gunsmithing (drilling, changing out

Trigger parts, moving the entire FCG forward, etc.(The Best, if you like to tear the guts out of you Saiga and move them forward - then You can use regular AK mags) or,

2) You can go with my recommendation - the 'quickie' (all you need is a flat head screwdriver and an allen wrench) (and about 15 MINUTES if you have it all lined out) :

Copy of my original Post:

I like the MM mags! First I ordered 1 just to test it. I dremeled it, Front side and Back side to match my stock 10 rd.

Tested at range - No Probs. (slight wobble) Then I had some probs. finding more, but now they have them at CDNN

for 12.99 (link was previously posted above). I ordered 3 more.

But this time I tried just working on ONE side first to see if it would catch on my unmodified 7.62 Saiga. I lined

up the MM mag to the stock one, and it looked like I needed to shave off about 2 mm on the UNDERSIDE

of the REAR mag catch lip on the mag. Took out my 1/2 serrated pocket knife, scribed a starting line w/ the

regular part of the blade, then just used the serrated edge to saw off the proper ammount. Took about a minute.

Works like a charm, no wobbles - so I did it to all the rest....wala! Now I have 4 MM 30 rounders - marked USA

on one side (and by the way it's marked "LAW & GOV'T USE ONLY" on the other side).

The mag is well built and solid, I doubt it would ever crack or break , even if thrown to the ground. The only other mod I do to mine is to round off the the rear bottom edges with a file because they are very sharp from the factory.

Now to use these mags per 922r, all you need to do is add, I believe (?), one more US made part. (MM mags count

for 3 US parts I believe). I chose to just bolt on an ACE folding PG/Stock set (2 US parts), so there you have it!

A 922r compliant Saiga 7.62 w/ PG and 30 round mags.! (just don't sitck in the old 10 rd stock mag...you'll fall out of compliance by 2 parts). But, if you want to use the Russian 10 rounders (hunting, etc.) you can easily just bolt on the original stock and return to legal imported version.

Added: You're gonna have to spend $150 to $185 to get the ACE Pistol Grip/Stock Set - But You're Done! and you will have a weapon that will last a lifetime that will be what you want. I LOVE the Folder - get the 1" pad and at LEAST the 13" pull, maybe the 14" folder to match the orig. stock length. Your'e Done! Forever.

Edited by BullShark012

I was wanting to get something less costly than the ACE. I can't afford a two-hundred dollar folder right now with Christmas coming up. Just looking for an el-cheapo US made stock like the one it already has (no pistol grip). The one I have is solid, not the skeleton.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my understanding that the parts count rule applies if you are using the high-capacity magazines. If you put your foreign-made 10-rounder back in, you would not be in violation of the parts count rule - remember, the rifle is in a sporting configuration and is legal, otherwise it would not be sold here.

• 2 weeks later...
Do the US made AK stocks not fit?

The US made AK stocks will fit, but they'll only work well if the trigger group has been moved in the standard conversion.

If that conversion isn't being done, one will need a stock similar to the Saiga factory stock that places the grip behind the receiver entirely. If you do look at my furniture thread, notice that some stock sets have a separate p-grip and buttstock and others have a single piece buttstock with grip included. The polymer and wood buttstocks made for typical AKs are designed for the separate p-grip.

I don't know of any other source for US made stocks for Saigas, especially in polymer, but you could try modfying a pump or auto shotgun stock like a Remington or Mossberg. I've thought of doing that, just haven't found the time.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
Do the US made AK stocks not fit?

The US made AK stocks will fit, but they'll only work well if the trigger group has been moved in the standard conversion.

If that conversion isn't being done, one will need a stock similar to the Saiga factory stock that places the grip behind the receiver entirely. If you do look at my furniture thread, notice that some stock sets have a separate p-grip and buttstock and others have a single piece buttstock with grip included. The polymer and wood buttstocks made for typical AKs are designed for the separate p-grip.

I don't know of any other source for US made stocks for Saigas, especially in polymer, but you could try modfying a pump or auto shotgun stock like a Remington or Mossberg. I've thought of doing that, just haven't found the time.

I've seen your work BR, looks nice...I will get you to do my furniture on my next gun - a Long Barrel x39. But like Barn dog...I don't want to do the full conversion. Just US mag & US furniture. I'll get with you on that project right after the 1st of the year....Now, I have a leftover Mossberg Maverick 88 (12 ga.) butstock and a leftover saiga x 39 butstock (both polymer) I guess I'll keep them, but lining up the mossy to the saiga, looks like you'd need to add (somehow) about 2 in. of material, then machine it match the Saiga 'step' inserts and then cut out the groove on the top for the Saiga 'tang' fitting. If I could make it work ( I can't) I'd do that...but I'm gonna just get w/ you early next year on my 7.62

Long gun.

• 2 weeks later...
It is my understanding that the parts count rule applies if you are using the high-capacity magazines. If you put your foreign-made 10-rounder back in, you would not be in violation of the parts count rule - remember, the rifle is in a sporting configuration and is legal, otherwise it would not be sold here.

I believe this to be true, but I have heard others say no. I am confused on this and would also like clarification.

I believe this to be true, but I have heard others say no. I am confused on this and would also like clarification.

I'm confused about what your confusion is (if that makes sense :lol: ). In the OP's situation, the only thing that would make him need to adhere to 922r regulations, is if he slaps that 30 rounder in his rifle. If he puts his factory 10 rounder back in, 922r doesn't apply (assuming he hasn't done anything else to "un-sporterize" his rifle).